Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Faithful .22s

Faithful .22s

Everyone seems to have at least one that they depend on and don't worry too much about. My buddy Floyd poses with my old Nylon 66. I've killed creatures great and small with this old ugly thing and you only need to clean it once every 5 years or so.
    Show us yours!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

It has been a while since I saw one of those little rifles up close and personal. Did you cut that barrel back a little and I don't remember that type of front sight on the last one I saw(which was about 15 years ago). Maybe my memory is failing like the rest of my body. james

I did cut it back and soldered a Finn Mosin sight on. It was paired with a Redding shotgun peep sight, but I borrowed it for my 44-40. No matter this older Weaver K4 works and works. The original front sight is a shark fin profile.

Boolit Master
    I have a Nylon 66, bought used in 72-73. Great little rifle. Have a red dot on it.

The Nylon 66 and the Mohawk( I think it was black) were very popular here in Central NYS in the 70’s. My go to is my Remington 581 that I bought New around 1970. Killed hundreds of bullfrogs and various other creatures over the years.

Boolit Buddy
    I think Floyd looks like a good boy. I had a distant cousin of his and we had a lot of fun killing raccoons together, sometimes using my old rotten Nylon 66 “barn gun”. I’d get to the barn early in the morning and hear Tuffy barking, off in the distance. He nearly always had a coon treed.
    Last edited by Buzz Krumhunger; 05-19-2019 at 05:32 PM.

Boolit Master

the local gun shop has 2 of those, hes been trying to get me to buy them but I got just too dang many 22's
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Banned
    There are three semi-auto .22 rimfire rifles that are iconic and outstanding rifles:
    The Remington Nylon 66
    The Ruger 10/22
    The Marlin Model 60

The Nylon 66 will take an unbelievable amount of abuse and neglect and yet continue to function. It is particular adept at functioning in cold weather with no lubrication.

The Ruger 10/22 is a very simple system, has a modular design and with the factory 10 round magazine - it's extremely reliable.

The Marlin Model 60 (and all of its variants) probably exists in greater numbers than the Nylon 66. They are affordable, reasonably reliable and ubiquitous.

Boolit Master
    I had a model 66 for years, worked great but finally had to give it back to my older brother, LOL. Currently my best .22 is a Marlin model 60 made back in 1983. It has the longer barrel and 18 shot magazine and is set up with a used Bushnell 3 x 12 x 40 scope. Don't think I have over $125.00 in the entire setup but it's almost scary accurate with the right ammo.
    Also have a Franchi Anniversary breakdown .22 with a fixed 4x scope which is real nice but the Marlin is my go to .22. Got both rifles as a package deal, they both had been shot till they had jammed, were all fouled up and one had a live round stove piped in the action.

I've owned a few 10/22s, they run and run. BUT I've never owned one that would outshoot a Marlin 60 or a Nylon66. I'm talking stock guns from the box.

Boolit Master

Have one 66, need another. First saw a 66 when my Dad's neighbor got one sometime in the early 60's. In 1999 a coworker said he had decided to sell all his guns. I asked him what he had, as he listed them he named a 66. I said I would take it. He protested that he had not said how much he wanted and I had not seen the gun. I said I would take it anyway. He still protested, I asked how much he wanted for it and he said $60. I said again I would take it, sight unseen. He finally agreed to bring it to work and let me see it. When he brought it, we went out to the parking lot and he pulled it out, wrapped in a blanket. We got in my truck before unwrapping it, since our employer had a rediculous policy against firearms. As he unwrapped it, the receiver cover was the first part I could see and I immediarely noticed a lot of gold lettering. It was an aniversary model with a couple of minor scratches on the stock. The best $60 I've ever spent. It's too nice to carry in the woods.

Saw one at a pawn shop a couple of weeks ago, a plain brown stock, with the black forend tip broken, sights missing, ans a Simmons ProDiamond 4x scope. The price on it was $200, maybe reasonable but now being on a fixed income not justifiable.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

My belief is that the lightweight polymer Remington Model 522 Viper was an attempt by Remington to resurrect memories of the Nylon 66.
    I've shot both models and except for the long trigger pull, the Viper can be quite accurate and enjoyable to shoot.
    I remember when a new Viper cost about $119 at Walmart.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4303321_0.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	242186

Info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_522_Viper

I've never had a Ruger 10/22 that wouldn't outshoot a Rem 66. In fact I've owned very few 22 rifles if any that wouldn't outshoot a 66. A 66 is capable of taking a lot of abuse and still function but It is way down on my list for accuracy. My beater 22 is a Rem 550 and my serious hunting piece is a Ruger 77/22 with 4x scope. When I think about it I've owned more Rem 66s and Marlin 60s than any other model. These guns were sold in chain stores for around $50, along with Win 150 series. The Marlins were accurate but tube feed were prone to jams one thing the 66 and 10/22 don't do. I have twenty some 22 rifles mostly older Wins & Rems are all are accurate shooters or I wouldn't own them.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Everyone seems to have at least one that they depend on and don't worry too much about. My buddy Floyd poses with my old Nylon 66. I've killed creatures great and small with this old ugly thing and you only need to clean it once every 5 years or so.
    Show us yours!

Tex, Be sure to tell old Floyd he's a handsome guy.

Jedman

Thanks Jedman, I'll let him know. It's funny when we go for a walk, my wife has to be 5ft behind me(with him)- or he will heel her! He tries to keep cattle away from me to the point of endangering himself. I've had to carry him out of the herd and put him in the truck before. He doesn't understand that the cows are my friends too!

I guess my old reliable is my Henry lever 22 mag. Octogon barrel at 24". It sees more carry than any other rifle. It is a companion when I take out the 4 wheeler or tractor when putting up wood. Sometimes I will take the 357 Rossi or the Marlin 32-20 but for practical purposes the 22mag does the same thing and does not have to be reloaded. I had it scoped and for some reason did not like it that way and D&T it for a Williams 5D. There is now a lot of 22mag ammo out there and I have tried a lot of it and keep going back to the original 40 grain.

DEP

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    We had one of the nylon semi autos when we were kids - it was an "anniversary model" - on the side opposite the ejector opening it was stamped in to the side with an "anniversary stamping" in gold - I'm guessing it was the 125th anniversary? We used it some for squirrel and rabbit hunting but I much preferred my Dad's old 1915 Stevens Favorite.

I got rid of most of my 22s when the shortage of ammo hit. I kept a Henry youth model lever action - older one with the Brooklyn address -it was NIB and had been stored in an attic in the original box for a number of years - love it - put a scope on it and it's taken a number of woodchucks and other varmints.

The other rifle I kept was my Dads Winchester 63 22LR semi auto - has the original weaver scope on it that came with it - IIRC, he bought it new in 1955 and it's a great shooter and still looks like new.

I have owned a lot of 22s - collected single shots for a while and then sold them all off. If I could only keep one, it would be the Henry I have - great little rifle and fun to shoot with shorts, longs and LR.

Boolit Buddy
    Winchester Model 1906, my grandfather gave it to my father sometime in the mid '40s, no idea when and neither is around to ask anymore. I do know the gun just had its 113th birthday this year. I took it over in the mid '80s and learned to shoot using it. Made a number of my most memorable shots with it as a teenager. Planning on handing it down to my nephew's son, father's great-grandson, when he is old enough (3 at this time). I never shot a paper target with it and no idea how it groups, but I know it made a lot of hits, selective memory doesn't recall the misses.

I have a couple 10/22s that I'd never trust to make hits like that gun, and a CZ 455 that does put bullets exactly where the front site post is pointed. The Winchester front site is like a razor and my 52 yr old eyes can't even see it any longer or it would still be my .22 of choice.
    Last edited by goryshaw; 05-22-2019 at 07:58 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

My Winchester 61 and Marlin 39M. Both have had thousands of rounds through them and put a lot of meat on the table.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Mine is and always has been my Ruger 10/22, one of the early 70's models with decent walnut stock. Until my eyes started to change in my 40's I was the king of the .22lr's with its iron sights. Course I knew a trick or two to help level the playing field against those long barreled remington's with scopes.

The Nylons were good, but noisy in the brush.

Eventually I gave up the old games, like who can shoot 10 beer bottles at 100 yards fastest. (Helps when it comes time for the money round if you have clear miller bottles with the labels soaked off)

They showed up fine in iron sights, but the scope boys would keep losing them in the gravel pit we shot at. Yeah I cheated. Sometimes when it comes to winning, if you don't cheat your not trying hard enough.

The old ruger wears a nice scope now. But it got retired as I got old, and back when .22lr ammo was rare and pricey. I could shoot .357 mag or 9mm for the same as .22lr cost, with a whole lot more thump on the far end.

Won't be long though before the grandkids will be ready for it to make a comeback.
    Ammo is stacked wide and deep so that won't be an issue again.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast