WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Faithful .22s

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    the local gun shop has 2 of those, hes been trying to get me to buy them but I got just too dang many 22's

Such a situation does NOT exist!
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master
    For me it’s a tossup between vintage bolt rifles like Win M69 and M67 or Browning’s SA22. A cousin had a Rem 66, plastic with the shark fin sight. Even at the age of 12 , I thought it was hideous and never even shot it. Now the SA22, I drooled over the Browning catalog until I picked one up for cheap right out of college. It was love at first site, and I still have that one and a 50s Belgium made. Pretty much my favorite autoloading 22. I appreciate the tweeted 10-22s, but they just aren't the same. I will never be without either and my bolts have tenure as well. Too many 22s, nope not a chance.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    A Ruger MKI target and for a rifle, a 1919NRA target. Both shoot very well and are 100% reliable.

Boolit Buddy
    My favorite is CZ 452-2E-zkm trainer. Probably the one rifle I would keep out of all my firearms. If you can own one of these it is pure joy to shoot.

Boolit Master
    Way back when, we had a dog that would
    tree groundhogs. Wouldn't leave the tree
    till that hog came out. Sometimes days !

My wife was deadly with my Winchester
    model 190.

Boolit Master

It's almost shameful the shortage of .22's I DON'T have.

But if you wanted to have a "faithful" contest, these are my two leading contenders for "Final Factory-Produced Firearm Still Functional When The Sun Explodes":

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Win 1906 + 67.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	242863

Winchester 1890/1906/62A. I had to replace the original gumwood on my 1906. The stock wasn't cracked through at the wrist - more like it was elephant-stomped and barn-repaired with a couple chisel-inletted metal plates crossing the break and a bolt nut fore and aft. Serial number suggests it was likely a factory parts-cleanup from the tail end of production in the '30's. Finish almost gone but bore pristine. Considering the crudeness of the repair, somebody was dependent on that one for a lot of their meals. Considering it's only shooting rimfires, Browning designed that gun like a tank, and it doesn't care if you're feeding it S, L, or LR.

Winchester 67. Browning cooked up the early versions of this single shot around 1900. I imagine that Winchester gave him a mandate of "CHEAP! CHEAP! CHEAP!", but I'm truthfully a little awestruck over how he accomplished it. One single part handles the functions of sear, extractor, and ejector, and it does that powered by one leaf spring - not much to it and very hard to kill. Like my 1906, finish largely gone but minty bore. I nicknamed this rifle "Tweaker" in honor of the guy that brought it into the shop in need of "gas money", while I was hanging out. Had to wait 30 days for the pawn ticket to clear, though how that served any function on an unserialized rifle is a mystery to me. Doubled the shop's $50 investment on that one.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

My First 22 Rifle - 1958

Quite a few have never heard or seen a Winchester Model 55 single shot automatic. It fires from an open bolt , ejects out the bottom and recooks itself. It has a tang safety that automatically is put on safe when you load a cartridge in the top loading gate. Take the safety off and pull the trigger... it starts all over again.

I got mine when I was 10 years old, 1958 Christmas. I still have the red hang tag. It’s a classis to me!

Attachment 243016
    Last edited by Uncle Grinch; 06-10-2019 at 07:22 PM.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master
    I kinda rotate between the bolt actioned ones and single shots.
    1946 Win 52.
    H&R Model 12 as sold by the CMP.
    Rem 513T I bought over 30 years ago.

Single shots
    One elderly BSA model 12 extractor worn so bulges the case somewhat supply pf both rimfire and centerfire extractors is almost zero.
    Another BSA 13 made for the Canadian Gov't was originally a take down. Now permanemtly rebarreled. All the take down pins do is fill the holes in the receiver.Cocking lever had been lovingly altered by Bubba and was lucky to get a nice one from a gent in England. Big difference in how the trigger feels and the firing pin hits where it's supposed to. Soon as my moisin comes back this one will go out. And if money holds out a 1938 VZ24 action will get a Persian carbine barrel installed.
    And while not a 22rf, my Ruger #1 in 45/70 is going to get a set of picatinny scope mounts so's I can actually use it. Even if it has to be custom made. Been sitting in the safe for too many years. Sorry for being so long winded. Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Everyone seems to have at least one that they depend on and don't worry too much about. My buddy Floyd poses with my old Nylon 66. I've killed creatures great and small with this old ugly thing and you only need to clean it once every 5 years or so.
    Show us yours!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Nice!!!
    I use my Winchester 52 sporter more than anything anymore.

Floyd didn't seem to photogenic that day. A picture of Lanedog my blue heeler.
    Attachment 243314

Boolit Master

I have a Remington 541S rifle that is a tack driver, and a S&W Model 17 with 8 3/8". Both bought many years ago, and both have gotten a lot of squirrels.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

The Remington 541-s is a fantastic rifle. Owned 2 of them for decades.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Sold the blonde 1 several years back to fund a 1911.

Hi Floyd !!!

Name:	DSCN5133.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	243318

My names biscuit ,,, I got a something under this tree
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1106 (1).jpg  

Boolit Master

ForrestR, I am in complete agreement with you. The asking prices for the 541-S are "Wow"!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Frodo- an animal can't die within a mile of here without Floyd and Pepper bringing it to my house for me to see. They tag teamed a cow skull and backbone to the house here while back.....Bisquit's a good looking....girl. she knew she was home when you picked her up. Here's the two stooges.

Last edited by Texas by God; 06-11-2019 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Frodo- an animal can't die within a mile of here without Floyd and Pepper bringing it to my house for me to see. They tag teamed a cow skull and backbone to the house here while back.....Bisquit's a good looking boy!

some dirt bag dumped biscuit off on the highway. 95 degrees, no water.
    she jumped up in my truck, drank my gatoraid and fell asleep with the ac blowing on her

I took her home..that night around 2am. her and the cat got in a fight

Name:	DSCN5051 (1).JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	178.2 KB 
ID:	243343

note..the house was clean when i went to bed.

I din do nuff'n

Name:	DSCN4947.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	243344

She has been my passenger seat buddy ever sense

When I was in basic some 50yrs ago we had Quick Kill training with Daisy BB guns. It was instinct shooting with no sights at disc thrown in air. Once on to it you could hit a dime more times than not. Me and a buddy were looking for the perfect 22 with similar contour to use for same trick. We drank a lot of free beers hitting quarters in beer joint parking lots with a Win 55. We hardly ever missed a quarter with one of us shooting and the other tossing the quarters. If we started losing we had to many free beers.

Got an old SS bolt 22 from a buddy as a kid. Pull the knob ( firing pin) catches on the sear(?),cheap and dangerous! IMHO 22lr case size has changed or QC sucks, ammo doesn't fit in older guns.
    Whatever!

I found another Redding sight. I'll get the correct front screw someday.

Boolit Master
    TbG, i had a nylon 22 also, brazed, yes brazed a Lyman steel peep meant for a Rem 760 on it. I miss the sight more than the rifle. Wished i hadnt sold it tho. But, my Golden 39M is my most easy to hit with .22 i have. Todd/3leg

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast