RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load DataWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Joys and Pain of Brass Molds....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    Ten cavities? I thought the eight on Miha's aluminum mold drained my pot quick. Ten cavities I'd need more capacity then I ever dreamed of having.
    I always wonder if I should have gone with the 8 cavity aluminum over the 6 cavity brass. But that six cavity brass drains the pot too fast as it is. They make a BUNCH of boolits real quick.
    NRA Benefactor.

Moderator Emeritus

Brass molds:
    Too heavy for me (just like four cavity Lyman Iron molds).
    I have bought and sold more than a dozen brass molds(sold because too heavy). I also don't like how they tend to get "tinned" with alloy on the mold face.
    I still have a 3 cavity Accurate 41 cal WC, brass mold that I love...as well as a couple 4 cavity MP molds, one in 44, which I'll probably never use again, since I don't have any 44 guns anymore, but it's such a great casting mold, that I'd never sell it, LOL...and one in 30 cal, the "30 Sil" which is just an awesome design for my 30-06.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I didn't plan to cast today but reading this thread made me put a couple of BRASS molds on a hot plate and turn the pot on.

Edit,one pot later:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190526_192748_066.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	242424.
    Last edited by Petander; 05-26-2019 at 12:34 PM.

Boolit Master
    I too love my NOE brass molds!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have only been casting for a few years now but I have come to the conclusion that I like them all .

I do like Brass molds. Heavy when cast long session but my pot has stand for molds so it is little bit easier. Keeps heat good and drops nice looking bullets. MP's brass is my favorite quality is very high and price good. NOE and Arsenal also products good Brass molds but price jumps up because shipping from USA to Finland is expensive.

Boolit Master
    Looking at boxes from ten+ years ago, shipping a brass mold from USA to Finland (Air mail) used to cost approx. $12,75.

Enter 2019:

I have two expander plugs coming from NOE right now, paid $35,65 for shipping. The plugs cost $6.50 each.

Global economy is a strange thing.

Boolit Grand Master

On the big old heavy gang moulds ( and some drivers in industry) a way of offsetting the weight was to use a balancer. basically a string and pulley system over where used with a clip for the mould / tooling and a counter weight to Balance the weight. Set up can be the mould slowly rises when released slowly lowers when released or just remains where it is let go of at. This works well for heavy moulds. When I ran one I used a bottle and lead shot to make the counter weight up. I also used 2 pulleys one in front and one in back so that I didn't have the counter weight in the way and didn't have to pull out on the mould. Takes the weight of heavy moulds away.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12