RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: lube tapered boolits

Boolit Master

lube tapered boolits

Anyone found a way to lube a tapered bullet in a RCBS luber sizer while only making a moderate mess? I am lubeing 45-70 long bullets that taper from .450 to .459 on the shallow lube grooves. Do not need any sizing just fill the grooves.

Vendor Sponsor

I pan lube tapered bullets and never use a cake cutter, just push them out clean, clean, clean.
    I think the type of lube you use is a great help.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master

Yes, pan lube put them in the refrig, pop them out
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    I pan lube tapered bullets and never use a cake cutter, just push them out clean, clean, clean.
    I think the type of lube you use is a great help.
    what kind of lube are you using? I am using DGL.

Boolit Buddy

Emmerts lube works for me for pan lubing, should work well with your tapered bullet.

"Emmert's Home Mix (50% pure natural beeswax, 40% Original Crisco and 10% Canola Oil)"

Place bullets base down in your pan, heat and pour in the Emmert's lube, let solidify, remove cake from your pan and just push the bullets out top to bottom.

Have Fun,

JCherry

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by kokomokid View Post
    what kind of lube are you using? I am using DGL.
    Eagle Lube

Will I get a chance to see you guys at the nationals again this summer?

I will send you a PM on the lube - later - it's time for supper.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Eagle Lube

Will I get a chance to see you guys at the nationals again this summer?

I will send you a PM on the lube - later - it's time for supper.
    I was wanting to shoot Creedmoor again this year but shooting partner is having surgery this friday to get him ready for another surgery. The few going from our club all have partners.

Boolit Master
    If you really want to use your RCBS lubrisizer, the way I’d do it would be to make a stepped or tapered cavity in a surplus “H” die on the lathe for nose-first lubing, like those used in the Pope-type hand lubers; the narrow part of the taper on the bottom and the wide part at the die entrance, of course.

I’d make or get a flat “G” punch to push the boolit in nose first, and be ready to grab it as the “I” punch brings it back out of the die, as it will fall over and probably roll out on the floor otherwise.

If you get your depth measurements right, and can use a teensy boring bar, you should be able to get a sliding fit for the boolit without actually sizing it in any way. If you start with a blank die with a pilot hole (like Keith the Perfessor sells), you can even drill the lube holes to correspond with the grooves on the boolit when seated flush in the die.

A fair amount of finicky machine work, but more interesting and instructive (and ultimately less laborious) than wiping the excess grease off your boolits sized&lubed in the normal manner.

I dislike pan lubing myself, and only do it as a last resort.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    If you really want to use your RCBS lubrisizer, the way I’d do it would be to make a stepped or tapered cavity in a surplus “H” die on the lathe for nose-first lubing, like those used in the Pope-type hand lubers; the narrow part of the taper on the bottom and the wide part at the die entrance, of course.

I’d make or get a flat “G” punch to push the boolit in nose first, and be ready to grab it as the “I” punch brings it back out of the die, as it will fall over and probably roll out on the floor otherwise.

If you get your depth measurements right, and can use a teensy boring bar, you should be able to get a sliding fit for the boolit without actually sizing it in any way. If you start with a blank die with a pilot hole (like Keith the Perfessor sells), you can even drill the lube holes to correspond with the grooves on the boolit when seated flush in the die.

A fair amount of finicky machine work, but more interesting and instructive (and ultimately less laborious) than wiping the excess grease off your boolits sized&lubed in the normal manner.

I dislike pan lubing myself, and only do it as a last resort.
    I now think that the tapered bullet made pan and dip lubing a must. My thoughts match yours as to a nose first lubricator maybe like the old Charlie Dell style but pressure would have to be backed off for each bullet or...... I tried some like Wills suggested and it works great.