Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The sheriff has died (my big Tom Cat)

Boolit Master

It's heart warming to hear about other cats in such loving homes, folks who say they don't like cats have just never been around them very much. All to often someone makes the mistake of comparing cats to dogs, well cats are not in any way like dogs and we should not expect them to be such but still cats can be every bit as loving as dogs it's just that they show it in a very different way. Dogs love to do things to please their owners, they are very unique animals in that respect, but since cats of course assume they ARE the owners they do things a bit differently! Cats are not a substitute for a good dog but they certainly make a good and equal addition and I just couldn't imagine what it would be like without having a cat or three around.

Going to the shelter this afternoon to look at a big reddish tabby Tom that's almost nine years old, they said his health is excellent but because of his age no one is willing to take him. Maybe two old guys like me and him just might be good company for each other in the shop?
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Master
    Truly sorry for your loss
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Buddy
    So sorry to hear that. It sure hurts when you lose a good one. I had a mouser like that. When he was hunting, I don't think there was a creature on this earth that was more focused. A wonder to see, even motionless he was wound tight.

Boolit Master

Sorry for the loss of your good friend.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Banned
    I'll be honest here I'm a dog person but I can appreciate the love for any animal and the closeness one can have with an animal any animal. I'm sorry for your loss and I hope as the days pass it gets easier.

I adopted a Tom cat to keep the rats off of me when I slept in the bunkhouse as a youth. I called him Donald and in one week we were rat free. I still let him sleep on the foot end of my bed. You know, just to be safe. He moved on one day and I never saw him again. 50 years ago and I still remember him.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by oldred View Post
    It's heart warming to hear about other cats in such loving homes, folks who say they don't like cats have just never been around them very much. All to often someone makes the mistake of comparing cats to dogs, well cats are not in any way like dogs and we should not expect them to be such but still cats can be every bit as loving as dogs it's just that they show it in a very different way. Dogs love to do things to please their owners, they are very unique animals in that respect, but since cats of course assume they ARE the owners they do things a bit differently! Cats are not a substitute for a good dog but they certainly make a good and equal addition and I just couldn't imagine what it would be like without having a cat or three around.

Going to the shelter this afternoon to look at a big reddish tabby Tom that's almost nine years old, they said his health is excellent but because of his age no one is willing to take him. Maybe two old guys like me and him just might be good company for each other in the shop?
    I hope you and the old boy hit it off! Good Luck! And please let us know.

Moderator Emeritus

Sorry for your loss, some cats are special and we bond deeply with them. Tigger died 3 years ago and I still miss him... and he was my main mouser. Oliver who I got to replace him is starting to hunt more but he hasn't learned to kill them... Oliver is the Orange Bengal in this pic, Oreo the tuxedo kitty weighs 30 pounds... I need to weigh Ollie but getting him to sit still is a chore... he is a snuggler at night, always needs to have a paw touching me or his head on my arm. He knows to not climb on me at night, he is way to heavy for that!

Boolit Master

30 lbs, now that one is a chunk!

Jack weighed a bit over twenty lbs until he got sick recently then the weight just fell off of him so I already had a really bad feeling even before the vet gave us the bad news. Around people Jack was the classic gentle giant and even the vet had commented on him in the past because he would just let them do anything they wanted without making a fuss, he was very vocal however and I am going to really miss that, I honestly think sometimes he was trying to talk to me.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Master
    When a cat brings a live mouse and drops them by you they are gifting you the fun of playing with it. We had a spayed female that was that way. When the mouse would run off she would get very mad at us.

We called her Super Cat.

One night the coyotes were about 400 yds from the farm house. I went out with a spot light and she ran over to the yard fence and hopped on top of it. As I scanned the field Super Cat followed the path of the light. At the moment I picked up their eyes she saw that as well and let loose a deep growl and madly banged her tail onto the vertical board fence. It’s been 20 years since she passed but I remember that sound like it was yeasterday. Long live Super Cat in Heaven!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by oldred View Post
    Over ten years ago my shop was over-run with mice, the vermin were EVERYWHERE! My tool box drawers had become both baby mouse nurseries and mouse toilets, they were leaving their little calling cards everywhere and any area that was not ventilated well reeked of mouse pee. Then a 1 year old nineteen lb very muscular terror named Jack Bauer (after the character from the series "24") hired on as the new Sheriff to clean up the town, and clean it up he did! He was deadly and diligent and always on the job, the few mice that managed to escape would not dare return and in short order I had the place clean again. Jack has been my constant companion for the last eleven years, he lived in my shop and wanted to "help" with every job I did, I already miss him immensely and the place just seems cold and drab knowing he will not be there anymore. He was healthy and very active for even a young cat never mind a 12 year, but he suddenly lost his appetite and started acting listless so we took him to the vet to find out what was going on. After extensive testing it was found that he had kidney cancer and his kidneys were failing fast so the only option was to put him out of his pain. I don't know how someone can get so attached to an animal but Jack was almost like a child to me so it grieves me a lot to have to let him go but we all know pets are not to be forever and Jack had a good run.

Attachment 242011

R.I.P. Sheriff
    Oldred, Last year we lost two dogs and God sent me Otis, a huge tom cat to gap the immense loss! Otis is my constant companion and like "The Sheriff" he keeps thing cleaned up around his town......I am so sorry for your loss! Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

Sorry for your loss , remember the good times .
    Time eases the pain .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12