Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Dove tail rings for CZ , Ruger, Sako Tikka?

Dove tail rings for CZ , Ruger, Sako Tikka?

I have a CZ 527 that has integral Scope bases made into the reciever, they are 16MM wide at the outside edges of the dovetails.
    The problem is scope ring availability.
    all the 4 manufactures of scope ring bases make "high" rings only for the 527. Way too high. looks like shi-- and is difficult to see thru.
    Plus there the only 2 makers that make a removeable top part of the ring so to easy access of scope change or ring lapping is Leupold and Millet and they fit like they were make for some other type of rifle , ***.
    Question is what is the width of the Ruger Rifles Dovetails? I cannot find specs on them any where.
    I know they have recoil lugs built into them but that could easily be milled away.
    Does anyone one know of a Steel scope ring with removable top that uses a 16mm dovetail?
    I don't own a Tikka or Sako to check on.
    Thank you
    Ron

I used Burris CZ rings both on my .375H&H CZ-550 Safari and my .22H CZ-527-LUX.

https://www.burrisoptics.com/mountin...cz-style-rings

Burris also makes a Ruger dovetail adaptor: https://www.burrisoptics.com/mountin...r-base-adaptor

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Thanks for the reply, neither does me any good, My 527 is a different Dovetail than the 550. and the Ruger adapter wont fit on my 527.
    Maybe some will know what the Ruger , Sako or Tikka dovetail specs are, you **** sure cant find out form makers like Burris, Leupold, Talley and Warne. They just sell them the elves in the back room evidently churn them out.

Quote Originally Posted by ronniet View Post

Thanks for the reply, neither does me any good, My 527 is a different Dovetail than the 550. and the Ruger adapter wont fit on my 527.

In the link I posted, you will see that Burris makes 2 different ringsets for CZ's - the 550 AND the 527.

420130 CZ 550 Long-Action Medium 1 in.
    420140 CZ 527 Short-Action Medium 1 in.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

I don't know if this will help but I have enclosed a pics of a L579 Sako receiver. The Rear part of the mount is 12 mm and the front is 13.4 mm. The front mount is 16.82 mm and the front part is 18.46 mm. I have mostly Sako rings but have used Leupold rings for the Sako mounts also.
    Attachment 242060

gmsharps

Boolit Master
    I have the same problem with my CZ-527. I didn't like the rings I cold find, so I bought rings for 19 mm mount and slid thin metal shims in-between the mount and the ring base to fill up the space (two 1.5 mm shims, one on each side).
    Hick: Iron sights!

Thank you guys, that is interesting and stuff I didn't know, looking at the" Specialty Rings "on the Talley Web site they have one set of rings listed for the 527. but none have the removeable top ring for easy scope changing and honing/lapping of rings.
    many of the rings listed are for Dovetail guns like Tikka , Sako, Ruger, Weatherby, Kimber, Marlin, Styer etc... I wish there was a published listing of these dovetail specs as sure as the manufactures cant tell you what they are, most can barely tell you the ring heights.
    Ron

Boolit Master
    Leupold Rifleman Rings are whats on my CZ. Burris was my first choice but Cabelas did not have them in stock when I went in.

I've got a 50mm objective-d, 30mm tube-d Vortex scope on a 527 Varmint. The Warne Maxima mediums are just about right for the barrel profile. The scope bell can't get much closer to the barrel. I didn't need to lap the rings. The scope seems to point where the barrel does.

Apparently, the Burris CZ heights are all 1" from mount to centerline (per their catalog), which seems very very high to me.
    Last edited by McFred; 05-20-2019 at 02:53 PM.

I love low mounted scopes; I felt that the factory CZ 550 American rings were too high. My factory Tikka rings are better but could still be lower. Not everyone wants or needs a 50mm/56mm objective. The pictured Sako could be had with low, med, or high rings when I was a child but who knows where they all are. Good luck on finding the right combo for your CZ.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    On my 527 hornet, the med rings are required for bolt clearance, and that was with a fixed 6x Leo. Suspect that is the reason everything you can find is “too tall”. I did not like it and simply removed the scope and rings. It is very enjoyable as an iron sight rifle and the CZ sights are quite good. That was my solution, I am considered strange ... so. I deliver there is an aftermarket bolt for the 527 to resolve that issue, but never found a reasonable ht ring set.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

FWIW CZ corrected the 'tall' bolt handle root years ago. You can just buy a replacement handle from CZ online that's significantly shorter that will clear most objectives with lower rings, or get out the angle grinder, flap wheel and the cold blue to make the old-stye work.

Or just keep it iron sighted.

Boolit Mold
    CZ527 and Tikka T3 and older models use a 16mm dovetail. Have a couple of 527s and a Tikka M55. Been checking for rings myself lately and agree manufacturers could make it easier to get specifications of products.

B

CZ527 rings update.....
    I cured this problem finally with a pair of Imported rings made by Lynx, they make the 16mm Dovetail rings for these in Low Medium and high. and they are steel and quality. The rings come off on the top ring with 2 screws like a turn in Redfield not like a Warne or Talley that you have to take the rings apart. makes life easier to align and lap with out a complete disassembly.
    The Millets I had were just terrible and the alignment bars would never align up with each other and I would not install my scope they were so far apart I was afraid it would ruin my scope , so I found these Lynx brand rings.I used the Mediums and think I could have go by with the low ones.
    Ron

Boolit Master
    You need to do a little more research on the 527.
    The rings are so high because the bolt handle is too high. If you get lower rings the bolt handle hits the eye piece.
    So be prepared to replace or modify the bolt handle when you put lower rings on it. I used a 3x9 Leupold Compact scope on mine. The smaller eye piece worked better with lower rings.

Quote Originally Posted by ronniet View Post
    I have a CZ 527 that has integral Scope bases made into the reciever, they are 16MM wide at the outside edges of the dovetails.
    The problem is scope ring availability.
    all the 4 manufactures of scope ring bases make "high" rings only for the 527. Way too high. looks like shi-- and is difficult to see thru.
    Plus there the only 2 makers that make a removeable top part of the ring so to easy access of scope change or ring lapping is Leupold and Millet and they fit like they were make for some other type of rifle , ***.
    Question is what is the width of the Ruger Rifles Dovetails? I cannot find specs on them any where.
    I know they have recoil lugs built into them but that could easily be milled away.
    Does anyone one know of a Steel scope ring with removable top that uses a 16mm dovetail?
    I don't own a Tikka or Sako to check on.
    Thank you
    Ron
    Last edited by EDG; 06-08-2019 at 08:19 AM.
    EDG

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    You need to do a little more research on the 527.
    The rings are so high because the bolt handle is too high. If you get lower rings the bolt handle hits the eye piece.
    So be prepared to replace or modify the bolt handle when you put lower rings on it. I used a 3x9 Leupold Compact scope on mine. The smaller eye piece worked better with lower rings.
    Yep did that bolt handle too, but update!
    I found New old stock Lynx Rings imported by B-Square back in the day when things were nicely made.
    got a pair of "low" rings made of steel and 16mm dovetails, made for the CZ527 with removeable tops for easier lapping and scope change.
    Fit like they are suppose to, cheek lays on stock now and 42mm scope lays close to barrel, all is good. So yes I did research it , just had to use "offshore" parts that fit on my "offshore " rifle.