Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: S&W Model 39 vs. Iowa LE Qualification Course

Boolit Buddy

S&W Model 39 vs. Iowa LE Qualification Course

Hi all! Below is a link to this week's installment in my law enforcement challenge video series. In this one I'm taking on a course from the Hawkeye state with my S&W Model 39-2. Check out the video to see how it goes!

Howard

Boolit Buddy
    Wow! Not a single comment. I guess this one didn't strike much of a chord. I'll run it to the top one more time just in case anybody who's interested missed it the first time. Then I'll let it fade away to that great forum in the sky.

Howard

You sure make these look easy. I enjoy watching the different qualifications drills from the various law enforcement agencies around the country. Keep up the great work.
    If it ain't broke don't fix it! I disagree with what you say, but I will defend your right to say it to the death! When people fear the government it is tyranny, when government fears the people it is Liberty!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tradbear55 View Post
    You sure make these look easy. I enjoy watching the different qualifications drills from the various law enforcement agencies around the country. Keep up the great work.
    Thank you! I'm glad you like them.

Howard

Boolit Grand Master
    I finally got around to sitting down and watching it... the Iowa requirements are quite a bit different from the old Virginia Modified course I used to shoot back in the late '80s and early '90s. We shot at 7 1/2, 15 and 25 yards, a total of 60 rounds (10 cylinders full.) There was a lot of drawing and shooting double taps at the close ranges and we used the targets with scoring rings, so your achievement was based on 600 possible points. If I remember correctly, all shooting was done in standing position, but it's been over 20 years since I last went through that course, so memory fades.

I always shot revolvers, even though I had access to a Model 39-2, but I would like to go back to the range and try that course again with my 39-2. After all, that gun was indeed designed to be the service weapon for use by LEOs like the Illinois State Police among others, right?

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    Yep! it sure was. These days, most states have done away with the targets using scoring rings. That is one thing I'm happy about. I prefer the "hit or miss" type of scoring as opposed to the mathematical challenge imposed in the past. That is one of the few things I like about the newer courses.

Howard

I remember well that first DA shot with a Model 39. Interesting series. Keep them coming!
    NRA Benefactor Member

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by pjames32 View Post
    I remember well that first DA shot with a Model 39. Interesting series. Keep them coming!
    Will do. Thanks for watching!

Howard

Boolit Grand Master
    Well, mines blue, but it is a 39-2 also. Watch that shiney sight, it will lead you astray. I have never had a malfunction with mine, though now having said that, it will lock up like it was made by Masterlock next time it goes out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3754.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	242317
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master
    Hey Howard, could you include a brief outline of the course in your description? It would be helpful to those of us who want to play along. I've a mind to try this one with my Ruger Blackhawk 44 Spl.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    Well, mines blue, but it is a 39-2 also. Watch that shiney sight, it will lead you astray. I have never had a malfunction with mine, though now having said that, it will lock up like it was made by Masterlock next time it goes out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3754.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	242317
    I was thinking about that "shiny sight" and wondering if I was subconsciously raising the muzzle to try to see it better. That might account for the shots hitting high at 25 yards (the first shot being off to the right, though, was all me!). When I made the video, it was the first time I've fired the M39 in quite some time. I should have probably run a few rounds through it before I started to record just to get a feel for it again. Maybe I should get a "rubber dummy" and shoot the heck out of it so no-one can tell when I blow a shot. Naa, where's the fun in that!

Howard

Boolit Buddy
    I always preferred the Model 39 to her fat sister the 59. I bet that shiny nickel was tough to see the sights on with the bright sunny day.

Keep the videos coming, I always enjoy them.

Boolit Buddy
    Very nice keep 'em coming.

They seem to be getting harder as you progress.

Also thanks for stating you run the course cold.

I was wondering about that.

Rich
    My feed back

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-Small-anvils

I also leave feed back

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Krumhunger View Post
    I always preferred the Model 39 to her fat sister the 59. I bet that shiny nickel was tough to see the sights on with the bright sunny day.

Keep the videos coming, I always enjoy them.
    Will do! This week's video will be up in a few minutes!

Howard

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    Very nice keep 'em coming.

They seem to be getting harder as you progress.

Also thanks for stating you run the course cold.

I was wondering about that.

Rich
    Thanks for watching!

Howard