Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ruger Service Six just needed cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    Does it look as bad as this one?

Shoots good though!

35W
    Here are a couple of pics of mine. You can decide the condition for yourself. The grips are something I added to make it feel better in my hand.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resized1000004.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	242238Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resized1000005.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	242239

Should you ever tire of it; let me know. The Six series are the only Ruger DA I like. BTW, Ruger will reblue it for $80 or so.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    I tighten my DA revolver ejector rods by chucking the ejector rod in a padded vise, stick 2 .357Maximum rounds into opposite sides of the cylinder and give them a hard twist. They Never loosen up. Or 445 or 460 cases.

Loosen the ejector rod the same way.

I have pads for my vise that are 1/2" plywood with a triple thickness of rubber innertube epoxied to one side.
    There are small bent nails set into the top of each side. I just turn them around to keep the pads from falling off, depending which side I'm using.
    I do the same, but I use a piece of flexible tubing (plastic) that is a snug fit over the ejector rod and a pair of pliers.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Banned
    Tazman, that 4" Service-Six would be an excellent candidate for a refinish.

I may do that down the road a ways.
    Part of the reason I purchased this revolver is the poor finish. I have several revolvers that I won't do certain things with because I don't want to expose them to finish damage.
    This one doesn't have that problem.
    I realize it is a tool for a purpose and nice looks shouldn't hinder it's use. That said, I just can't take a nice looking firearm out where it will probably get scratched up and worn.
    I used to have an issue with my sweat(job related). When I shot trap during the summer, my perspiration would actually rust my shotguns before I could get home and clean them, it was that corrosive.
    I still have a mental block about that even though I no longer have that issue.
    I don't buy safe queens. Every gun I purchase gets shot, a lot.
    Even so, some of the guns I own get handled very carefully to avoid the slightest blemish to the finish. It is a mental problem for me.

Some years back I bought a .357 Blackhawk missing some blue and grip frame finish. Named it "Spot". Spot shoots just fine as is.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    The sights on my stainless Security Six are blued. They are well worn from holster wear. There are also quite a few random scratches all over the gun. I just realized that my whole revolver would be a rusty, scratched up mess if it had not been made in stainless. It lived a hard life before I got it.

It shoots great and I never worry about scratching it. Any new scratches I can blame on the last guy who owned it.
    JM

Edit: Here is the link to the Ruger Security Six Instructions. https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/...ecuritySix.pdf
    Last edited by JM7.7x58; 05-23-2019 at 09:36 AM. Reason: added link

Boolit Master

Refinsh !!!!! That Revolver has Character.

My Ancient NM Blackhawk (1974) has less finish. It's LIVED, it's seen hard use and shows it. Refinishing one of my COLT SAA's that I shot for 25+yrs in Cowboy Shooting would be like me getting a Face Lift. Not that I need one, I'm still as Handsome and Dashing as ever.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12