Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: 7mm Rolling block value.

Boolit Buddy

7mm Rolling block value.

I was at a gun show today and saw a sporterized 7mm rolling block for sale. It was an old conversion. The rifle was kind of rough yet it was all there, felt solid when I pulled the hammer back and opened the breach block. Looked and felt shootable. Didn't get a chance to talk to the owner. It was marked $550... Reasonable?

I would say that is quite high priced for a sporterized rifle. What had been done to it ?

Jedman

Boolit Buddy
    Stock and barrel shortened. Other than that nothing obvious.

I have owned several no. 5 Remington rolling blocks in 7 mm . I also watch them on gunbroker and other websites as I like them enough to buy others. I have never paid more than $ 400.00 for a nice original gun. I seen a decent carbine go for $425.00 plus shipping last week. The long infantry rifles go for quite a bit less.
    I like to buy them at gun shows or where I can examine them as most sellers lie about the condition of the bore. It's hard to find a 7 mm with a nice bore but if your thinking of rebarreling it consider the costs. They are well made guns and worth owning and are classic military rifles.
    I never rebarreled one but they have square threads on the barrel shank and that is not a big deal to thread a barrel to fit them. Find one with nice stocks and a good action and don't pay more than $ 400.00 +.

Jedman

Boolit Master

The action alone is worth around $400 if in good shape. The rest of the gun added to the action will not increase the price unless it is in very good condition. I have a few #5 actions sitting on the shelf waiting to be built into something.

Boolit Master
    John know his rolling blocks. He built a beautiful .50-70 on a Swede for me when I lived in Oregon.

Boolit Master

If you plan to shoot in original 7mm, the chambers tend to be huge arround the base. 2 or 3 reloads with FULL RESIZING is it. So neck size only, or rebarrel.

Boolit Master

The loading for the 7X57 was changed around 1913, may be a higher pressure than the older loading. Modern loads are at 51,000 which may be a bit high for a #5 action. I would recommend staying below 45,000.

I see complete rifles cheaper than actions, whether they're BP or smokeless. Once somebody strips off everything, and it's just a complete action, it seems the prices go up.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the advice guys.

I didn't go back to the gun show so I didn't buy it. Figured to save my shekels for what I really need. At this point in time I really don't need another rifle.

Do we ever "need" another gun? Probably not. But the "want" never stops for me!

A nice original 7mm RB is going for more than $550 in these parts. Any shootable one brings that. Carbines bring more. The big interest a few years ago was to get a 7mm ( smokeless action) to convert to 45/70 with Numerich Buffalo Kits. One of the Mil Surp outfits had a bunch of 7mm RBs from South America. I looked at several at gun shows and never saw one with a nice bore. Guys found out that converting to 45/70 was not just screwing in a barrel. The clearence for a 45/70 has to be made on RB to line of bore.