RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Lee Bullet Feeder Die(s)

Boolit Master

Lee Bullet Feeder(s)

um...not really a die...just a feeder

Recently guy posted about problems with a Lee Bullet Feeder as his 1st post.
    It got a few responses and the guy never returned to further explain his problem(s).
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...eeder-problems
    I posted a link to a few Vids there, mostly of positive results, and my curiosity was peaked.

I decided to buy one and see what they are all about, and see if I could remedy the common problem that @jmorris has mentioned, the fingers loosing the tension/pinch-ability to hold a bullet.
    I seem to have that sorted by adding a spring wire ring/coil to the fingers.
    The spring ends are in a shallow drill spot on both fingers to hold it in place.
    Time will tell if that solved the limp fingers/pinch problem.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BigSpringS.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	241907
    Note the stiffer spring on the Damper
    I'm using this tube fed feeder to feed bullets on the small $30 Lee "C" press thru a sizing die and into another tube.
    With a plan to use those tubes full of resized bullets to drop bullets into Hornady bullet feeding dies on my progressives.

I didn't make a vid, not sure I even could but everything I'm describing here can be seen in the short attached vid.

I did some additional mods/fixes that may just be related to my unique use of the feeder/die/press combination, but they worked for better operation.
    I put a stiffer spring on the damper, as it was being completely compressed before the feeder moved the bullet out over the ram.(this can be seen in the above vid)
    That delay of the bullet moving over the ram sometimes led to the ram being at or very near to the bullet, and sometimes opening the fingers and flipping the bullet out.
    I made a bracket for the "action rod" attachment plate and hose clamped it to the ram...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BrktS.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	241908

The spring and "buffer" are designed to compensate for extra ram travel beyond what is needed as the spring compresses at the top ram position and the friction fit Buffer slides down the Action Rod at the ram bottom position/up at the top position
    All this is in the attached Vid.
    I noticed in the vid the press is not stroked stop to stop but rather floating in the middle of it's limits, probably related to using the feeder die for a resizing operation, not reloading.

I will admit, to me, these Lee bullet feeders are quite a clap-trap design but different from all the rest sold today, because they don't require a separate station, making them somewhat unique.
    I plan to move this die to a progressive press in the future and will report back on that.
    I'd like to hear from other Lee Bullet Feeder users, both good or bad experiences.
    Last edited by Kenstone; 05-20-2019 at 12:13 AM.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

There was a pneumatic operated metal version that used a screw that crossed through both arms in the middle and a coil spring on the outside so tension could be adjusted.

My memory isn’t as good as it once was but either MA Systems or Scharch sold them, they worked well and were likely what Lee was trying to emulate.

One thing is for sure, if you can get one that allows to feed and seat at the same station, that is mechanical and reliable, there is a market for it.

I never could get my Lee to make it through 500 rounds without some kind of malfunction though, towards the end around half that. At that point it became like Aesop’s, The Tortoise and the Hare, I could go fast for a bit then be at zero production for so long it was a loosing proposition.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    There was a pneumatic operated metal version that used a screw that crossed through both arms in the middle and a coil spring on the outside so tension could be adjusted.

My memory isn’t as good as it once was but either MA Systems or Scharch sold them, they worked well and were likely what Lee was trying to emulate.

One thing is for sure, if you can get one that allows to feed and seat at the same station, that is mechanical and reliable, there is a market for it.

I never could get my Lee to make it through 500 rounds without some kind of malfunction though, towards the end around half that. At that point it became like Aesop’s, The Tortoise and the Hare, I could go fast for a bit then be at zero production for so long it was a loosing proposition.
    Thanks for posting
    As you know the feed fingers are way too thin to add a cross pin/spring, and I don't have the means to make thicker more robust fingers.
    Lee designed this thing to work on the 3 station Pro1000 that didn't have an extra station for a bullet feeder, and my use is more as an alternative to flipping a press for bullet sizing.

I'll be testing/using this feeder as is with tubes, if it proves to be too fiddly, it will end up in the drawer gathering dust.

Like you, I enjoy fussing with anything mechanical, but have less ability or access to machinery, and a low frustration threshold too.
    Last edited by Kenstone; 05-18-2019 at 05:33 PM.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Banned
    Unless all your ducks stay in a row you'll eventually end up buggering up the feed fingers, cutting them with a case

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    Unless all your ducks stay in a row you'll eventually end up buggering up the feed fingers, cutting them with a case
    Thanks for posting
    Something to consider if/when I move the feeder over from sizing to reloading on a progressive.
    For now, I cut a bevel onto the push pin to avoid buggering up the feed fingers.

Did some digging, it was MA Systems that offers(ed) it.

Banned
    I love watching a video of a fully functioning piece of machinery. Like poetry in motion.

Boolit Buddy
    Well this thread is a year old ,, I'v been think'n about gett'n one of these auto bullet feeders ,, sounds like some one here might have one they don't need or want ,, make me a good offer and I'll see what I can do with it . I have 2 LEE's pro-1000's,, 1 progressive for 44-40 & cast bullets ( cast is all I shoot ) both are older models , the progesv. model has the attch. for the auto bullet feeder. ( I checked to be sure ).

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

I gave mine away to another member years ago, if you mess with them long enough you might need something a bit stronger than coffee.

Boolit Buddy
    Well , just thought if some one is not wanting to mess w/ their's ???

Quote Originally Posted by Hootmix View Post
    Well , just thought if some one is not wanting to mess w/ their's ???

No harm in asking, that's how I got my Loadmaster, from a frustrated owner that didn't throw it away.
    I actually got it running pretty good, although with a Hornady bullet feeder.

Boolit Buddy
    That sir ,, is a very " solid " & neat set-up !!!

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix