Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RepackboxWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: C&B cylinder lube

Boolit Master
    There is a enough room around a '58 cylinder pin so that the red grease keeps the fouling from building up. I used this in a SAS environment where I used 30 grain charges with sometimes up to 40 or so shots through each of two revolvers and the wads did help to control the barrel fouling. I have shot them with no lube and can tell the difference. The biggest mess is trying to contend with the results of putting something thin like Crisco or Bore Butter on the cylinder pin and the chamber faces and shooting in Georgia summer temps. It gets so slippery it is almost a safety issue on the line. If I were going to carry one on the trail I would not put any lube on the chamber faces and if I were expecting only a cylinder full or less of shots I'd omit the wads, too. For conicals I cast the 210 grain Big Lube boolit and I pan lube them with a home brewed BP lube and carry an extra 10 in capped plastic tubes on the trail. That's probably the best solution in terms of a revolver lube system as well as projectile effectiveness. GF

Boolit Master
    One fellow "geojohn" had written to use grease under the ball as firing just blows away grease over the ball. Another champion shooter used corn meal under the ball, have to re read his notes on grease...

Boolit Bub
    Corn meal should protect from chain fires, I think they are mostly from poor fitting caps anyway. I read somewhere where someone made grease cookies to put under the ball for lube. A mixture of bees wax and something else mixed in a pan then cut out with a punch.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12