Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tree of Heaven

Moderator Emeritus

I put about a 3/8" hole in the paint can. Sealed up tight. My problem was I just stuck it in the back of the wood burner and left it as I had to keep feeding cardboard. I thought with the kinda heat generated it would work but only one or two pieces even had singe marks on them. I think the pail requires actual direct contact with the fire but since it is my first try I am just guessing.

Ah...yes...that's the problem...I put my retort in the firepit and keep feeding wood. I pack it on all sides and underneath. I keep moving things around for the 3-4 hours that it takes to make charcoal. Pushing coals underneath the retort to keep the heat up from the bottom. I just let the fire lick up the sides....I usually don't generate enough coals in the firepit to mound them up the sides.

Anyway....3/8" hole in a paint can should be enough. You want the smoke/vapors to get out (light them)...and let as little air as possible in. Air creates ash...that's bad. Ash has very little carbon left in it so it isn't good for your mix.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    Bob
    I am curious why you say "not good enough for competition" ? (not the first time you said that) ..... have you been unable to get consistent velocity ? or are you letting others wise words bluff you into this conclusion ? I have had ten shot strings just under 10FPS Extreme spread with homebrew willow, I wonder (am doubtful) would Swiss do any better ? I bet you are under rating what you do.............
    Just referring to my powder, I don't take the pains to press it in a hydraulic press, just a bench vice, so the density isn't as consistent from puck to puck. Extreme spreads aren't all that bad, but at distance vertical is a problem. I never started out to produce powder for shooting competition just hunting and to prove I could make it.
    There isn't enough time to make the powder I would need for competition and make a living to so I depend on Old Eynsford for targets and Silhouettes. I have used it several times for grins and giggles but the scores show the difference. When and if I retire I might get the stuff together to try and produce more consistent powder but right now I'm just having fun. It feels pretty good to fill the freezer with homemade powder, bullets, and gun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 71' Rolling Block 002.jpg   Deer Season 11 011.jpg  
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master
    That sure looks like the definition of fun ,and looking at the deer admiring the gun that got him (impressive )

Boolit Master
    I use a 1 gal. paint can to make charcoal. I drilled a 1/8 hole in the lid. I use a propane burner for a heat source. When the smoke starts to lesson up, I put a screw in the hole. When smoke stops completely it comes off the heat. So far it works well for me.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    Just referring to my powder, I don't take the pains to press it in a hydraulic press, just a bench vice, so the density isn't as consistent from puck to puck. Extreme spreads aren't all that bad, but at distance vertical is a problem. I never started out to produce powder for shooting competition just hunting and to prove I could make it.
    There isn't enough time to make the powder I would need for competition and make a living to so I depend on Old Eynsford for targets and Silhouettes. I have used it several times for grins and giggles but the scores show the difference. When and if I retire I might get the stuff together to try and produce more consistent powder but right now I'm just having fun. It feels pretty good to fill the freezer with homemade powder, bullets, and gun.
    Great photo and a great goal that you have accomplished. I'm totally impressed!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    Great photo and a great goal that you have accomplished. I'm totally impressed!
    Thanks Brent. It is a genetic fault, I use to tear all my toys apart to see how they worked and sometimes got them back together. Same as a teenager with cars. The biggest chore was building my house, thought that I bit off more than I could chew with that one. I didn't start out to do it but when a few things went south I was forced into it but fortunately had some really good friends that lent a hand at the right times. Seems I always had more time than money so DIY worked.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    that is a purty piece of wood on that roller - yr right about the fun bit too,

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by swamp View Post
    I use a 1 gal. paint can to make charcoal. I drilled a 1/8 hole in the lid. I use a propane burner for a heat source. When the smoke starts to lesson up, I put a screw in the hole. When smoke stops completely it comes off the heat. So far it works well for me.
    swamp
    That gives me something to think about. Thanks.

Boolit Master
    MrWolf,
    I cut my wood into 1-2 inch pieces to maximize space in the can. Plus it gives my band saw some exercise.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12