RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Uberti 1873 Accuracy?

My Uberti 73' chambered in 44-40 shoots very well. I don't, but it does!!

Here is a video shooting 6.4gr of trailboss and a 200gr lead bullet at 25 yards and at 265 yards with open sights.

Here is a video using my scoped Marlin at 265 yards shooting a golfball

Oh, lets don't forget the Marlin 1889 manufactured in 1891!!! 265 yards open sights

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Savvy Jack View Post
    Oh, lets don't forget the Marlin 1889 manufactured in 1891!!! 265 yards open sights
    I like it !

I really can't wait for the rerun of the 360640 so I can work out a load with those. Then run like water through my 1873.

I just picked up a scope for the 73', hope to try it this weekend. I wanted it for 100 targets. Normal loads.
    Attachment 244242

Boolit Buddy
    Michael, I worked with an Uberti sporting rifle over some years. Tried many powders from pyrodex to 2400 and a lot of different cast and swaged bullets. In the end, 4" 50 yd groups wall were the best I could do. That shooter was stolen some years back, good riddance. Guess what I am planning to buy (again) this summer. It feels so good when I quit banging my head against a wall.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by salvadore View Post
    Michael, I worked with an Uberti sporting rifle over some years. Tried many powders from pyrodex to 2400 and a lot of different cast and swaged bullets. In the end, 4" 50 yd groups wall were the best I could do. That shooter was stolen some years back, good riddance. Guess what I am planning to buy (again) this summer. It feels so good when I quit banging my head against a wall.
    Yeah even if she doesn’t shoot she sure is pretty. I would rathe lr ring 12” steel at 25 yards with a beautiful 1873 clone than ring a 6” plate at 500 with an ugly modern Henry.

Boolit Buddy
    No offense to the henry owners, but amen.

Michael, I only own one rifle, a Marlin, chambered in 38/357. I have not tried to load for accuracy with it. I got it years ago for my wife and daughters for CAS. What I have shot has been horrible @ only 75 yards.

I have spent all of my time...past ten years...developing my loads for the 44-40 distance shots. Rifles are a Marlin 1894BC, original Marlin 1889 manufactured in 1891 and an Uberti 73'. With the 44-40, I had to revert back to rifle powders and hard lead cast bullets to accomplish this task. Not withstanding the 265 yard shots, the best I can get is 18-20 shot, 4" groups at 100 yards with my Marlin 1894CB and 4" groups @ 25 yards (same load) in my Uberti revolvers. The rifle loads are kicking between 1,500fps to 1,700fps depending on the load. These loads avg between 11,500psi to 20,000psi...again pending which load I am using. The max pressures Winchester ever used for 44-40 production was 22,000cup/1,600pfs High Velocity loads...approx 18,000psi back between about 1910 to 1945. These loads were not safe for the 73' or revolvers.

I discovered in my testings that my black powder tests, using Swiss FFG in original unheadstamped cases earlier than 1884, produced a consistent 14,000psi while those same exact loads, with greater powder compression, produced only about 10,000psi in modern Starline cases. John Kort mastered the 44-40 black powder loads constantly knocking down steel javlina at 300 meters using Swiss/Goex powders and the Lyman 427098 design bullets.

Most revolvers shooters use pistol powders, mainly Unique for groups. Even back in the early 1920's, pistol powders were suggested for revolvers although rifle powders were still available, Dupont's SR80 and Dupont's "Sharpshooter" rifle powders.

too continue would be most boring and only applies to the 44-40, not the 38/357 original topic...but certainly busts many myths about the 44-40. I have compiled tons of information on the 44-40 cartridge website for those interested in that cartridge: https://curtisshawk21.wixsite.com/44centerfire

At some point I would like to address the 38/357 loads just to see what could be accomplished.

...and yes, I do not like the looks of the New Henrys, just the 1860

Boolit Master

Thanks for the info.
    I guess I need to do a little work to chase this around.

Boolit Master

I’m going to load some 357s this week to play with too. I’ve had luck with them at the 300 yard gong.
    I’ve been wanting a tang sight for this girl but I don’t want to drill and tap through the model markings.
    Maybe I need to spring for an MVA

I just picked up a scope for the 44-40 73', hope to try it this weekend. I wanted it for 100 targets. Normal loads.
    Attachment 244242
    I did get to the range this morning to give this new scope a try. I really like it but the set screws started to get loose after only three shots of light loads. Plus I left my glasses at home. I will do a little maintenance and revisit the range.

The target is from 100 yards, great potential.
    Attachment 244334

The second target is from 25 yards using my Revolver...lots of fun!!!
    Attachment 244335

Boolit Master

Maybe I expect too much. I'm grumbling about 2 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards. I know it can do better. I just haven't found the right combination....

Update:

I finally got me new front scope mount and headed off to the range today. The purpose of the scope, to prove the rifle not the shooter,

Attachment 245171
    100 Yards with only 6.4gr of Trail Boss and a 200gr Big Lube bullet.
    1" Squares, 4" x 4" target

Attachment 245173

Attachment 245172
    Target to the left is 25 yards
    Target in scope is 100 yards

265 yard video.

Boolit Master

Nice shooting Jack!

I just went into the reloading room and realized I had a handful of coated bullets sitting around (99 of them.... boy thats frustrating)
    So I loaded them up and loaded another half dozen of the lubed bullets with the addition of an aluminum gas check (from some vendor on here who I believe is now gone)
    So we shall see how they shoot tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J. Spangler View Post
    Nice shooting Jack!

I just went into the reloading room and realized I had a handful of coated bullets sitting around (99 of them.... boy thats frustrating)
    So I loaded them up and loaded another half dozen of the lubed bullets with the addition of an aluminum gas check (from some vendor on here who I believe is now gone)
    So we shall see how they shoot tomorrow.
    Good luck! Keep tryind and eventually you will find that sweet load!

Boolit Master

Thanks Jack!

I just picked up a scope for the 73', hope to try it this weekend. I wanted it for 100 targets. Normal loads.
    Attachment 244242
    Would shore like to see closeups of the scope mount! Can not imagine how to mount a scope on a 73 rifle.

Boolit Master

Well the coated bullets shot a little better tonight and managed some hits.
    However the thunder storm rolling in killed the lighting so that didn't help.
    I'll bring the Marlin next week to compare the same loads in that rifle.

We did get to shoot a buddy's Marlin in 44
    With the factory loads I could hear the bullets whizzing down range. They did not stabilize at all.
    With the RCBS 250K bullet coated with Hi-Tek and sized to .430" They shot like a dream and kept ringing the 200 yard steel as long as you did your part.

Ok just watched the last vid to the end. I see it is rather side mounted.

Do the side mount come with the scope? Is that a Leatherwood scope? Magnification?

Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    Ok just watched the last vid to the end. I see it is rather side mounted.

Do the side mount come with the scope? Is that a Leatherwood scope? Magnification?
    Bigted, here is a link to some details.
    https://castbulletassoc.org/forum/th...winchester-73/

Also the 44-40 Cartridge website.
    https://curtisshawk21.wixsite.com/44...inchester-1873

I am in no way an author, I have bad grammar skills and lack language skills!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast