Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Uberti 1873 Accuracy?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J. Spangler View Post
    Well the coated bullets shot a little better tonight and managed some hits.
    However the thunder storm rolling in killed the lighting so that didn't help.
    I'll bring the Marlin next week to compare the same loads in that rifle.

We did get to shoot a buddy's Marlin in 44
    With the factory loads I could hear the bullets whizzing down range. They did not stabilize at all.
    With the RCBS 250K bullet coated with Hi-Tek and sized to .430" They shot like a dream and kept ringing the 200 yard steel as long as you did your part.
    Sounded like you guys had a blast with the 44!!!!

Can't wait to see your 38/357 results.

Boolit Master

I'm going to play with the 38s again this week.
    Last week I opted to hear the steel ring for sure and with my Pedersoli Sharps I kept it singing all night.
    I cast some more 358156 this week but water dropped them to see if hardness will help. I also loaded some MP 356130BB HiTek coated. Loaded over 4.5 grains of bullseye. Lets see how they do.
    Then I got to thinking. I used to cast with a 2 cavity 358156 that I reamed out the gas check shank....... Could those have been the magic loads. The one I'm shooting now is a 4 cavity mould and I shoot them bare bottomed.
    I don't know. I don't think that's the issue but I guess I've changed more variables that I thought over the years.
    I'm going to scrub the bores really well this week too. Just encase I've got some lead in there slowing me down.

I swear I shot better with my new Vaquero at 200 last week than I've been doing with the 1894 or the 1873 for a few months

Boolit Master

Alright I decided to break down the rifles and give them a good cleaning. The 1873 didn't seem very dirty at all but OH BOY was the 1894 dirty!
    It took a whole lot of patches and a little scrubbing to get the bore clean. It didn't look like leading at all when I looked down the bore but there was plenty of dirty patches!
    So lets see how they shoot tomorrow night

I have not cleaned mine in at least 500 rounds!! Takes a few fowling shots just to get back on track....your 94 wont shoot worth a toot now....J/K...that's my excuse when I have a bad day at the range.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Savvy Jack View Post
    I have not cleaned mine in at least 500 rounds!! Takes a few fowling shots just to get back on track....your 94 wont shoot worth a toot now....J/K...that's my excuse when I have a bad day at the range.
    Hahahah.
    This hasn’t been cleaned in thousands of rounds.

Hahahah.
    This hasn’t been cleaned in thousands of rounds.

Boolit Master

Ok so I brought the 1894 and it shot very consistent but about a foot to left at 200.
    I’m wondering if maybe the sights got bumped at some point. It seems awfully weird to hit tothe left like that.
    Any ideas?

Ok so I brought the 1894 and it shot very consistent but about a foot to left at 200.
    I’m wondering if maybe the sights got bumped at some point. It seems awfully weird to hit tothe left like that.
    Any ideas?
    Interestingly my higher velocity loads do the same thing with the 44-40....but the lower velocity aint much better
    Attachment 246445
    25 yards

Attachment 246446
    100 yards
    Last edited by Savvy Jack; 08-07-2019 at 08:35 PM.

More low velocity stuff with different bullets. POA is, well point of aim,,,the circle just shows how tight the groups are.....and I use the word Tight loosely...lol

Attachment 246448

Attachment 246449

Attachment 246450

Attachment 246451

Boolit Master

Interesting.....
    I need to play with this some more.
    On a side note I managed a shot on the 200 yard gong with my Vaquero and my buddy's 2nd Gen Colt
    Only shot 12 shots. Danced around it a bit but got there pretty quick.

Interesting.....
    I need to play with this some more.
    On a side note I managed a shot on the 200 yard gong with my Vaquero and my buddy's 2nd Gen Colt
    Only shot 12 shots. Danced around it a bit but got there pretty quick.
    Fun ain't it?

This is usually the reactions I get.....

You cant hit anything with that caliber....okay, you can't get good groups @ 100 yards......okay, you can't hit anything past 150 yards....okay, that caliber won't kill anything past 150 yards!!!

This is why I enjoy the range when I am there alone, it never ends!!!!!!

They are like Democrats, you just can't please them!!

Boolit Master

Fun ain't it?

This is usually the reactions I get.....

You cant hit anything with that caliber....okay, you can't get good groups @ 100 yards......okay, you can't hit anything past 150 yards....okay, that caliber won't kill anything past 150 yards!!!

This is why I enjoy the range when I am there alone, it never ends!!!!!!

They are like Democrats, you just can't please them!!
    HAHAHHA thats my favorite part of going to the range. Watching the guys with scoped *** missing shots on the steel at 200/300 and whacking it with an old lever gun or single shot.

Boolit Master

Ok so tonight I dragged the 73 to the range and lined up on the 200 yard steel. I started with a MP 356-130 BB coated with Hi-Tek.
    Very consistent and got a few rings on the steel once I got my sight picture straight.

Swapped out to my 358156 load and rang the steel a couple more times and was just a little low but perfect windage the next couple times.

So I guessing scrubbing the bore from time to time doesn’t hurt.

This morning...

Uberti Winchester 73' chambered 44-40, imported by Cabelas!
    Malcom Scope

Attachment 246867

Boolit Master

This morning...

Uberti Winchester 73' chambered 44-40, imported by Cabelas!
    Malcom Scope

Attachment 246867
    I would call that a success. interesting. Reloader 7. I would think that would be too slow for a 44/40

I would call that a success. interesting. Reloader 7. I would think that would be too slow for a 44/40
    Thanks!!

Reloder 7 was a published load for the 240gr lead bullet for the 44-40. 23.5gr max load was used by Hercules in 1995, "Modern Reloading Second Edition 2003" manual, and Alliant 2005. I have seen it in several places including Lee's 44-40, 3 Die pamphlet. Estimated 1,290fps @ 12,100CUP...10% to 20% more power than a 200gr lead bullet at that same velocity. However, Hercules and Alliant calls for Remington 2 1/2 primers. Thus I don't use WLP's but rather CCI-300's

Boolit Master

Interesting.
    44/40 is tempting. There’s a Navy Arms 1866 44/40 locally. It’s old but appears to be in good condition.
    I think he’s asking $750.
    Local guys is selling a NIB 1873 from Uberti for $750. Seems a better deal.

Interesting.
    44/40 is tempting. There’s a Navy Arms 1866 44/40 locally. It’s old but appears to be in good condition.
    I think he’s asking $750.
    Local guys is selling a NIB 1873 from Uberti for $750. Seems a better deal.
    Take note of the chamber pressure on my targets. As we all know the max PSI is 11,000psi/13,000cup. Most, if not all load data I have seen is listed as cup. These loads I just posted could exceed 12,000psi, about 14,000cup...on a hot day AND/or if using large diameter bullets in small bore barrels. Many old loading manuals from the 30's called for 16,000 but doesn't not say if it is cup or psi. I'd bet 16,000cup since psi is seldom used, even today.
    Last edited by Savvy Jack; 08-17-2019 at 07:15 PM.

Boolit Master

That makes sense. I’m guessing though that these rifles can handle more than that. Given the same platform for 357 magnum.
    No need to push the pressures though. The accuracy is great and plenty of energy to get the job done.

That makes sense. I’m guessing though that these rifles can handle more than that. Given the same platform for 357 magnum.
    No need to push the pressures though. The accuracy is great and plenty of energy to get the job done.
    I will agree but try to stay quiet on the forums. A too lightly crimped bullet can bulge a barrel quick!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast