Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2PBcastco
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Selling cast projectiles Yes or No

Boolit Bub

Selling cast projectiles Yes or No

So my 13 Y/O son is wanting to see about casting projectiles and selling them. What is ya'alls opinion on this? I don't see a problem with it as he will be running all sells through me but maybe there is something I am not seeing???

Boolit Master

Doc there is a few tax issues you'll have to address and then the ATF and IRS are very serious about.Then state licenses. But who am I to rain on his parade.
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 05-16-2019 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Small keyboard and large fingers
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavity

https://johnpierceesq.com/do-i-need-...-cast-bullets/

I thought about it too. I'm looking into the FFL thing sometime in the future.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Banner Sponsor

Yes, you'll need to get the FFL and keep records...
    It's a shame he can't just sell them.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    Yes, you'll need to get the FFL and keep records...
    It's a shame he can't just sell them.
    I am 99.9% sure you don't need an FFL to sell projectiles. If someone were to sell reloaded ammo then a destructive device license and insurance is needed.
    But I may be wrong.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by army_doc View Post
    I am 99.9% sure you don't need an FFL to sell projectiles. If someone were to sell reloaded ammo then a destructive device license and insurance is needed.
    But I may be wrong.
    Never mind, a quick google search proved I was wrong. Well that really sucks. **** big brother butting in where they are not needed.

Boolit Master

I don't sell them. I give them away as gifts. And friends give me lead alloys as gifts.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Components are not regulated at the federal level yet. Loaded ammo mfg. And sales requires a type 7 ffl from the BATFE and an excise tax license from the treasury dept.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Selling projectiles is not exactly a losing proposition but I don't think it is much of a money maker either. One can't generally add a lot of value per hour of casting. The buyers are generally going to be people that cast and enjoy that as part of the hobby. At 13 however options are limited as to job prospects making anything look potentially better than it would to an adult. Would probably make more for less labor input if he could get yard work jobs.

Either one does allow a young person to focus on providing quality work promptly and when promised. So there is the added value of learning the value of doing a good job, effort to gain rewards etc.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    Selling projectiles is not exactly a losing proposition but I don't think it is much of a money maker either. One can't generally add a lot of value per hour of casting. The buyers are generally going to be people that cast and enjoy that as part of the hobby. At 13 however options are limited as to job prospects making anything look potentially better than it would to an adult. Would probably make more for less labor input if he could get yard work jobs.

Either one does allow a young person to focus on providing quality work promptly and when promised. So there is the added value of learning the value of doing a good job, effort to gain rewards etc.
    Well said, Roger.

I'm thinking the profit level would be pretty low. I was mowing and raking yards before I was his age. And for a few weeks during the summer I would help a friends Grandparents cut, bale and haul hay. I made enough to buy my first motorcycle when I turned 14.

There are things that he can do at his age. I agree that casting bullets could teach him more about quality work than some other things.

My complements to the young man for wanting to work.

Boolit Master

Don't sell the boolits sell the PC coating... boolets are just what you coat.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    You know this is a shame that we have gotten to point were a young man can't do something like this to make a little money. I went to work at age 12 after my dad died. Had to so me and mom could pay bills and eat she worked two full time jobs.

Mail order business has a certain level of complexity and record keeping required. A skill with some value. Yard work has some mechanical training in terms of the equipment. Bucking hay bales has nothing going for it but stick to it even though it is hard. Which I guess is something.

I think the components can be sold without an FFL or other license. Of course if the amount of money gets to where he owes taxes..... win and pita.

Might want to consider brass or hulls as another item. Again not sure if there is a large profit to be had, or a high enough volume of sales to make a bunch of money but one can turn a modest profit on some brass or shotgun hulls. Especially if one can get some inventory for free at the range. Or berm mining for lead and copper jackets to the scrap yard. Work is harder but raw lead does have a regular market. Just be sure to follow good safety practices. Brass and shotgun hulls have the powder residue from the primer firing and that dust contains lead. Need to be aware of that and prevent breathing of dust or wearing dust covered work clothes afterwards.

I will say some brass such as 9mm or even 45 acp are worth about the same as their scrap value. The 270 win also seems to be sort of common. Others such as 357 mag, 308, 30-06, 30-30 or magnum rifle or pistol do have a decent price point. Not sure where .223/5.56 is right now. Shotgun I think it depends on gauge and brand a whole lot. Time into sorting by caliber and headstamp provide an opportunity for adding value that people will pay for.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by army_doc View Post
    So my 13 Y/O son is wanting to see about casting projectiles and selling them. What is ya'alls opinion on this? I don't see a problem with it as he will be running all sells through me but maybe there is something I am not seeing???
    Projectiles are a no due to federal regulation Has he considered fishing sinkers or jigs?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by lup View Post
    Projectiles are a no due to federal regulation Has he considered fishing sinkers or jigs?
    I was just thinking about that as I have several fishing weight molds. I just wouldn't know where to start for him to sell them.

Boolit Grand Master

You would have to get an FFL 03 just $10 a year ($30 for 3 years) and be the one who does the selling - he's a minor and can't. You would have the business license if such is needed in your town/village/city.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Bub
    Yeah it sounds like its going to be more of a PITA then it's gonna be worth for him.
    Thanks for the replies guys

Boolit Master
    Read the info at the link.
    https://johnpierceesq.com/do-i-need-...-cast-bullets/

In addition to an FFL you need to register for ITAR and pay the $2K to $3K yearly ITAR fees.
    It sux but its the law.

Boolit Master

If you sell sinkers or jigs you're responsible for paying the excise tax.

RogerDat,

I'll gladly pay scrap prices for .45 ACP or 9mm brass. How much ya got?
    NRA Benefactor.

I powder coat my jig heads too. Pre heat then dip and bake. Once cured use an eye buster or small drill to open the eyes. I have an airbed for the powder so it coats more uniform.