Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: PhotoBucket at it again...

PhotoBucket at it again...

I got a couple of emails from Photobucket lately:

Attention - Your Account is Exceeding Bandwidth Limits!
    The photos you are sharing on Facebook, forums, blogs and other websites are using more bandwidth than your account level allows
    Free accounts are restricted to 25MB of bandwidth per month.
    YOUR CURRENT USAGE IS OVER 500MB

What You Need to Do

To continue sharing your photos without interruption, you must purchase one of our unlimited hosting plans, starting at $4.72 per month*.

Bla, bla bla...

I haven't been using Photobucket for nearly two years - not since they tried to scam their customers into paying for "free" photo-hosting. I'm pretty sure I never posted anything remotely close to the amount of MB they mention in the email. My old account is apparently closed, since I couldn't log in when I tried, and yet the have the gall to pester me with their retarded spam - obviously hoping to scare some people into paying for what was once an add driven service.

Photobucket, please Crash & Burn!

I recommend Imgur: https://imgur.com/
    Cap'n Morgan

USMC 77, USRA 79

Hey cap!!!

I use this...
    Post image Here is the link...

www.postimg.cc

No **, just images... a couple adds here and there but not much. I been using them for several years and have had a great experience. As retired computer nerd, I recommend this for anybody, it resizes things and has direct links for posting images directly for forums. Small learning curve. Give it a try. You guys all know how many images I post.

Marko
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Well i don't use Facebook Twitter photobucket google or any other type websites and i still guarantee they still know everything bout me probably more than i remember about myself.

Moderator Emeritus

My old account is apparently closed, since I couldn't log in when I tried
    I still use free Photobucket. They now have two Pop-ups during login (asking you to upgrade to a Pay account) that you have to dance around, they don't make it easy to login, the first one doesn't show an option to continue as a free account, I just click on "Library" to bypass that Pop-up. The second Pop-up does have a "Dismiss" option. After that dance, Photobucket works as before...somedays, just as slow as it use to be, but somedays it functions as fast as any website.

I doubt your account is closed, unless you closed it?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    PhotoBucket - are they still in business? I deleted all of my photos when they tried to blackmail everyone the first time.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

after the way they treated all their users before, i cant imagine why anyone would ever use them again.

Just use imgur. It's super easy, with no bandwidth limit. You can make stuff as public or private as you want. It was literally created because other image hosting platforms are dumb.
    MC-130J Driver
    Former T-6A Texan II Driver
    FAIP Mafia
    Hook 'em all

Boolit Master

This is capitalism at work.
    If you become dissatisfied with the service or price you can look around for something better.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Buddy
    I got the same Email.

I did one beter I left all my pix there and all the links they were attached to.

I also saved all my photos back when you could do that.

They no longer allow you to save your own photos.

so I imagine I am using up a good chunk of bandwith.

I also like other refuse to pay and am using another service.

They don't like the bandwith they can delete them their selves.

Havem't logged in since they started the whole ransom thing and I got all my pix saved back then.

Rich

Go to Photobucket with an ad blocker on Chrome. Get the ad blocker from "extensions".

I can down load all of my photos , if i want too.

I never left or deleted. Some link and photos were restored by the NEW CEO.

http://www.photobucket.com/joe1944usa

Have a look at my photos. Check the "KABOOM" album. Its under "Firearms and Reloading" as a sub-album.

Or click to watch slideshow. http://s338.photobucket.com/user/joe...loading/KABOOM
    Last edited by 243winxb; 05-17-2019 at 08:32 AM.

Banned

This is the third one of these I have got in the last few months. I downloaded all my stuff when they started all this **. I never deleted anything either. I have a ton of pics on there with everything I have sold in the last 15 years or so. At least 1200 just for that. I am pretty sure I am WAY over my limit.

I don't use them anymore as most all my pics go right to my account on Google. They provide you a link to share your pics.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Morgan View Post
    I

I haven't been using Photobucket for nearly two years - not since they tried to scam their customers into paying for "free" photo-hosting. I'm pretty sure I never posted anything remotely close to the amount of MB they mention in the email.
    They're trying to charge you for people looking at your pictures, not how much you uploaded. So one little picture can blow you past the bandwidth limit if it goes viral.

There was a hyperlink system, or system concept, that well predates the Web that solved the problem of ever breaking links and disappearing content, Nelson's Xanadu. However it was both ahead of its time and had no real economic rationale to make it viable. Unfortunately most of the WWW is ad based, a system that rewards a few huge players and reduces everyone else to beggars and payers.

I got out of much of the freemium mess by running owncloud at home and using free services only minimally. My phone syncs and backs up to my own systems. However there's no opting out of all of it, without giving up on all of it altogether. At least if Google and FB et al cut me off, I still have all of my photos and contacts.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Buddy
    Ya I know they want to charge "us" for the views on our pix.

It's why I never deleted the pix in the 1st place.
    I have a feeling a lot of my pix are eating up the over 500 mb claim as about 85% of my pix are in technical or how to threads.
    Not what I had for dinner **** pix.

This means they are still being viewed by guys for gun building, machining, reloading, and other stuff that becomes relevant to gun owners or hobby machinists as they need the information.

With the extension fixes for the browsers PB really can't stop the viewing of the pix and they can't edit the threads to remove the pix.

All they can do is change the server name to point somewhere else otherwise even if the pix is gone the hyperlink will still point to a PB server and eat bandwith even if the pix are long gone.

They created the mess they can fix it. I don't think they had a full grasp of how things work on the internet when they tried to pull the plug.

They can delete my whole account for all I care. The way they handled the switch over from free to paid was like ransom.
    What they failed to realize was I don't pay ransom.

I do pay for services on the internet scribed, deviant art, uzitalk, castboolits the latter two in yearly donations, and a few others. but they were pretty honest up front on what was what.

The only ones PB robbed in the end was their selves by the way they handled things when they went to a pay service.

Rich

Boolit Master
    As someone fairly new (a few years) to the chat room game, I found Photobucket was slow and when they locked up the accounts I moved to https://imgur.com/. I also have done a lot of researching archives of posts here and other places and have found many linked photo's are now gone. I'm guilty of posting linked photo's as well but I think the best way to post a photo for archival reasons is to download it to the post. This way it's always there in the future.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Frankford Arsenal Chart.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	241942
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Teaching target 2.jpg  
    Last edited by NyFirefighter357; 05-18-2019 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrHarmless View Post
    Just use imgur. It's super easy, with no bandwidth limit. You can make stuff as public or private as you want. It was literally created because other image hosting platforms are dumb.
    +1 to Imgur ... I switched over to them too when PhotoBucket started acting stupid and I've had no issues posting photos here or on any of my other forums.
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!