RepackboxLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee 459-500-3r data

Boolit Buddy

Lee 459-500-3r data

I'm about to start playing with my 45/70 pedersoli sharps with the goal of making a 1 mile shot on a 24" square target. I've decided that, since the mold is so cheap, I'll try out the lee 459-500-3r. It is one of few molds with a published B.C
    that I can plug into my calculator.

It seems that this projectile is somewhat controversial. Opinions and anecdotes vary from "It won't stablize past 300 yards" to "It works great for me out to 1000" and everything in between.

I've been watching Mag30th's videos, in which he tests this bullet for stability at 1500 yards. Wind got up to 60mph. All the recovered bullets appeared to have hit nose first. What's even more intriguing is the fact that he was firing them from a muzzleloader at subsonic velocity.

So, why all the variance in results? Being very much a left brain kind of guy, I would like to approach this scientifically.

I ask members here who have experience, good or bad, with this bullet at long range to post any data they have. What was your load proceedure, powder charge, what alloy did you use, what bullet lube, what muzzle velocity? What kind of accuracy did you get?

I want to see if I can find a common denominator among successes that is not present in the failed experiments. Any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by Thundermaker; 05-16-2019 at 09:00 PM.

Boolit Master

Haven't shot that Lee boolit past 300M (longest distance locally available) but achieved good accuracy/consistency (~6" off the bench) with both smokeless and BP out to that distance. My mold drops .460-.461 from 30-1 alloy and I run those through a .460 NOE push-thru sized before pan-lubing with Emmert's. Rifle was a Pedersoli RB with 1-18 twist and Lee Shaver sights.

Smokeless load was 29.5 gr AA2015 with a 1/2"x1/2" tuft of dacron quilt batting fill over a W-W LR primer. Never bothered with chrono, because load showed no significant improvement over 450 grainers at the same distance.

BP load was 65 gr. Goex FFg with a .030 fiber wad topped with a newsprint wad, loaded in Starline brass with CCI LRM primers. Boolits finger seated in unsized cases to barely touch rifling (no crimp). 300M accuracy approximately same as the smokeless load so didn't chrono these, either.

Just cast a short run of these last week to see how they shoot in my Uberti Highwall but haven't gotten around to loading any yet.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Thundermaker View Post
    I'm about to start playing with my 45/70 pedersoli sharps with the goal of making a 1 mile shot on a 24" square target. I've decided that, since the mold is so cheap, I'll try out the lee 459-500-3r. It is one of few molds with a published B.C
    that I can plug into my calculator.

It seems that this projectile is somewhat controversial. Opinions and anecdotes vary from "It won't stablize past 300 yards" to "It works great for me out to 1000" and everything in between.

I've been watching Mag30th's videos, in which he tests this bullet for stability at 1500 yards. Wind got up to 60mph. All the recovered bullets appeared to have hit nose first. What's even more intriguing is the fact that he was firing them from a muzzleloader at subsonic velocity.

So, why all the variance in results? Being very much a left brain kind of guy, I would like to approach.

I ask members here who have experience, good or bad, with this bullet at long range to post any data they have. What was your load proceedure, powder charge, what alloy did you use, what bullet lube, what muzzle velocity? What kind of accuracy did you get?

I want to see if I can find a common denominator among successes that is not present in the failed experiments. Any help is appreciated.
    I'm about to start playing with my 45/70 pedersoli sharps with the goal of making a 1 mile shot on a 24" square target. I've decided that, since the mold is so cheap, I'll try out the lee 459-500-3r.
    The mold is the cheapest part of any load development. That alone would not cause me to spend good time and money on it.
    It is one of few molds with a published B.C that I can plug into my calculator.
    Okay - Stated Bc and the calculator may be interesting late nights before bed. Bc is dynamic and I find the Bc book value offered incidental to what really happens.

I have shot the bullet and have the mold when it first came on the market. I found it troublesome enough to not pursue more than a few hundred shots. I think LEE missed the boat here by designing what someone at LEE thought a bullet should like and if upfront they would have saute help from good (read experienced ) mid-range and creedmoor competitors, a better bullet would have been offered.

I would say your best bet would be put the time in becoming the best BPCR LR rifleman you can and then try to sort out the poor design of the LEE 500gr 45.
    If you choose to jump right in with this using the LEE as your first bullet, please document your experiences here as you go.

All the best,
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    If you just want to learn about that bullet then you'll be happy. But if you really want to shoot at extreme long range I'd look at what others are doing with success. I've never used that bullet, but also have never ever seen it used in a match. Long range shooters have pretty much settled on a couple of designs which work pretty well. I'd go that way, unless your goal really is just to see what you can do with that particular bullet.

Like Chill says, the mold is the cheap part. Unless you buy too many of the wrong ones, which some of us, have definitely done .

I am sort of a nerd. Well maybe not sort of. I have my own ballistics software which I wrote that lets me play with all kinds of stuff, like the shape of the drag curve for instance. So I completely understand the idea. I think you'll find that published G1 drag curves for these bullets will start to get unreliable past 800 yards or so.

However, if you use a 535-540gr Money or elliptical (prolate) type of .45 cal bullet, your G1 BC will generally be right around 0.5.

The reason that the BC changes on these bullets is just that the G1 drag curve doesn't match our bullets 100%. We generally have less drag than a G1 form factor bullet as the speed gets lower. Actually I don't think any real bullets match the various general drag curves. That's why a lot of the software out there asks for the exact bullet you are using so it can use a custom curve.

Chris.

Boolit Master
    I think you will need a heavier and longer bullet from a quality mold maker, the only molds from production makers is the Lyman 535 postell or Saeco's 530 grain boolit, Baco will have a good selection of bullets/molds.

Boolit Master
    I went for that mold because it hauls enough lube to shoot a string without cleaning (I had a barrel that was a problem with leading) - first thing I did was wound my sight setting back about a full hundred yards compared to a blunt nose bore rider I had used before it so for my money the BC part works
    I have shot couple of times at 700 yards but our ranges have shortened up and 500 meters sillywet is now the longest shot.
    Did some shooting at 500 and was happy with it - but I have a dumb habit of picking nice conditions (read calm days) for my practice - I shot the LEE 500 three years ago in a 500yard match and did ok quite happy with my score for a first time out after a long layoff - returned same place the following year - had sighted in two days before at home - shot all over the place ??! - I started to re examine what the experts here had been saying about it and then went out and shot in the wind - ooooops ! -- At four hundred yards the boolits were stable and the group not too bad - 500 yards I had a group that still would not have scored too bad but most were full profile sideways through the target board - this with a 20 twist Uberti 1876 that I had going pretty good - that pattern says to me they are loosing it somewhere out close to the 500 - otherwise they wouldnt even hit the board ?? AND its the wind that does it - on a calm day the 500 yard targets are good and the boolit still stable - my sharps (an old IAB) performs similar with the same boolit - maybe a faster twist would make it better - I persisted with that LEE boolit because of the lube capacity - you can shoot a string of 15 or so without fouling out - and at 100 to 300 its been as good as anything else I tried and way less trouble
    Working now with a CBE 535 (which is a close copy of the Lyman postell) but back in the groove with just not quite enough lube to do the job

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Some folks have trouble figuring out that a bullet can loose stability and still land point first but not comprehend the loss of stability is why 1 shot lands way above the target the next low the next left or right etc...

Also enderstand that hitting a 24 inch target at 1000 yds will take a load capable of producing a 2 moa group at that distance. I don’t even want to try to figure the moa required to hit 24 inch target at 1 mile...
    Do you know anybody capapable of doping the wind and mirage at that distance? If you do then good luck finding a capable load... But it’s highly doubtful you’ll be able to make that lee bullet achieve a 2 moa load at Any distance beyond 600.
    BtW do the accuracy testing on a real target that actual bullet strikes can be evaulated and group size measured and not surmised by wild eyed spectators judging thru cheap spotting scopes at splashes of dirt
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    Lee didnt miss any boats....cause I reckon they have sold a ship load of these moulds.......The point appeals to the beginner who is likely to buy a $20 mould ,and sales is all that matters....Most of these guys cant hit a 24x24 target offhand at 50 yards with a 45/70......but that doesnt worry them.....cause everyone can see the sexy bullets in their cases.

Banned

if yer interested in hitting stuff on a regular basis, particularly at 200 yards and lots further down the road, start with a known good bullet design/mould ... and for sure that ain't the lee 459-500-3r. it may look cool, but looks don't mean consistent accuracy. been there eons ago and learnt the hard way that bullet was a waste of time and money.

Boolit Buddy
    It's times like this that I'm reminded how fortunate I was that my introduction to the shooting sports was a pleasant experience. I have to wonder how many people never went to their second match because of the reception they got from other shooters. There was a time when the shooting sports were neck and neck with baseball as America's passtime. Now they're on their last legs. They'll probably be gone within the next 20 years. I guess I'll just enjoy them while they last.

Anyway, the point of this thread is to gather data. Data means numbers. There are plenty of other threads in which to be arrogant and condescending.

Thank you to those who have shared their experiences thus far.

By the way, Mr. McDowell, 24" is roughly 1.3 MOA at 1 mile. It was quite easy to "figure".

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Well good luck finding data on a bullet very few have ever used with any success
    Think you may want to refigure the moa at a mile thing.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    Well have fun collecting that data. It's a tough thing to shoot any bullet accurately at that distance I'm sure. I have never shot past 1000 yards and I find that pretty challenging . It's not so hard if conditions are constant and you have a good load, but with variable winds it's one of the most humbling experiences I know of, and that's a 44" bull.

To me, shooting these rifles at distance is like pulling on a one armed bandit. You never quite get what you want, but maybe you will if you try just one more time

Chris.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    Well good luck finding data on a bullet very few have ever used with any success
    Think you may want to refigure the moa at a mile thing.
    24 inches at a mile is 1.302 MOA if yo find the need to be picky

Boolit Master
    Jajaja
    EDG

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Don McDowell;4648480]Some folks have trouble figuring out that a bullet can loose stability and still land point first but not comprehend the loss of stability is why 1 shot lands way above the target the next low the next left or right etc...

Also enderstand that hitting a 24 inch target at 1000 yds will take a load capable of producing a 2 moa group at that distance. I don’t even want to try to figure the moa required to hit 24 inch target at 1 mile...
    Do you know anybody capapable of doping the wind and mirage at that distance? If you do then good luck finding a capable load... But it’s highly doubtful you’ll be able to make that lee bullet achieve a 2 moa load at Any distance beyond 600.

I have to agree (reluctantly) with Dons sum up of this boolit

28 inches is 2MOA at 700 yards -- on a dead calm day with everything right out of an 18 twist that boolit will do it
    come back on a windy day and its all gone to hell - lucky to get a good target at 400

Only way OP will figure this is to go shoot - and if ya cant put five in an inch and a half at 100yards - the rest of the excercise will be kind of frustrating

Boolit Master
    Some of these experts have a hard time coping with the practical aspect of hitting a 24" square at one mile. Your rifle does not have to group into 2 minutes. Not even close. So says a text book on statistics.

Take enough ammo and you will probably be able to steer several rounds on to the target if you are persistent. The OP never said he was attempting to shoot a group on a 24" square target- just hit it.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    Some of these experts have a hard time coping with the practical aspect of hitting a 24" square at one mile. Your rifle does not have to group into 2 minutes. Not even close. So says a text book on statistics.

Take enough ammo and you will probably be able to steer several rounds on to the target if you are persistent. The OP never said he was attempting to shoot a group on a 24" square target- just hit it.
    Well yeah !! throw enough lead in the general direction one of em will likely connect - I was assuming by hit it he meant --you know -- take aim -- fire the shot ---hit the target..........................or at least almost hit it??
    Who was the feller said "liars, dam lies, and statistics"

I won't comment on the bullet your wanting to use. But I'm curious what you're going to use for sights for that 24" target at a mile to see that little white spot?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    I won't comment on the bullet your wanting to use. But I'm curious what you're going to use for sights for that 24" target at a mile to see that little white spot?
    Firsr of all, I didn't say I was hell-bent on using that bullet for the mile. I said I was going to start playing with the gun to try and hit a mile target. For that purpose, there are a number of proven designs with as good or better BCs.

I was going to play with that bullet because results are so varied with it, and I'm curious as to why. I asked for data to see if I can recognize a common pattern between failed attempts and sucessful ones.

As for sights, my eyes are good enough at the moment to see the target. I'm going to order the MVA extra long range sight, as it's the only one I know of with enough elevation to get to that distance.

Banned

interesting project yer pursuing, thundermaker. i hope it doesn't become a don quixote quest for ya. as to that lee bullet, and as i've posted here about it, i found that its design leaves much to be desired for consistent 200 yard accuracy let alone long range accuracy. its spire point and limited bearing surface create an instability, even with a pedersoli 1:18 twist. true, for 20-30 bucks it's a cheap mould (that many have found it not so concentric), but i would suggest that there are many other well proven long distance .45 bullet moulds to chose that will save you time, rather than money, from the get-go. this will be extremely important for a bullet that's required to travel 760 yards beyond the usual extreme long distance of 1000 yards. just rendering my opinions to yer questions. good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast