Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Enfield no.4 conversion to 45ACP

Banned
    Thanks Outpost75, will stabilisation come good if I move to pushing a 290 grain at 1300-1400fps, or is it still too light? I'd like to keep the 1:16 twist as its more useful to me for subsonics, but if there is a heavier weight I can push real fast at the same time, it would be good. Otherwise I could look around for more of an all round twist of 1:20 or 1:24 I guess to be able to perform at both ends of the spectrum.

Boolit Master
    seeing as 1 in 22 will stabilize a 500gr 45 at 1400 f/sec,I am sure a 1 in 16 will stabilize a 290 at the same velocity.........There is an optimum twist rate for every bullet /velocity/caliber........other rates provide less than optimum accuracy,but the difference may not be detectable.

Banned
    Yes im thinking in the case of the 460 S&W as well almost doubling the velocities , and they seem to do okay.

Banned
    Fellas just ready to buy some dies, haven't done an auto pistol cartridge before.

What of the following would you suggest/not suggest to keep me covered?

Sets
    Lee Carbide 3 die set
    RCBS 3 die set + taper crimp 45ACP/GAP

Additional
    Lee carbide factory crimp die
    Lee Taper crimp die
    RCBS 45ACP/GAP Roll crimp seater
    Super Simplex Taper crimp die

Boolit Grand Master

RCBS 3 die set + taper crimp 45ACP/GAP

BTW; what action are you building the conversion on?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Banned
    Thanks Larry, its an enfield Mk4no1. Gunsmith had couple options with nicer wood to consider too.
    One a savage which I assume would be the US built ones. The other a maltby, which I dont know a lot about. Anyone got opinions of either?

He is putting on quality mid weight barrel, free floating it and bedding job. I'll sell the kit barrel and donor barrel to recoup some cash. Not sure what can be squeezed out of a 45ACP from an old rear locking boltaction despite all the accuracy enhancements, but he seems to think a couple inches at 100 is doable. I said why not, I got no other projects this year, lets have some fun and see what happens.

Boolit Grand Master

Excellent, I think you will be quite happy with that conversion on that action. The action will take all the reasonable pressure you'll get out of that little case w/o problems. The action is stronger than many give it credit for and the expansion ratio of that cartridge is very favorable.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    If you got Hatchers Notebook,you can see pictures of groups shot with 45 auto from a rifle at Springfield arsenal.......quite impressive.........also interesting is the way they shot targets at different ranges,bullet passes thru one target,then another 100yds further on.......something anyone could try at a public range ,even.

Banned
    Thanks fellas! That is an interesting way of target shooting John. Btw can anyone relate the usual noise levels of the subsonic loads with 5-6 grains powder etc from the rifle barrels? Am I looking at similar to a 28" barrel 410 shotgun for sound signature? ( about the nearest calibre I can relate to)

Boolit Buddy
    Douglas Ridge Rifle Club, Eagle Creek, Oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by mickbr View Post
    Thanks Larry, its an enfield Mk4no1. Gunsmith had couple options with nicer wood to consider too.
    One a savage which I assume would be the US built ones. The other a maltby, which I dont know a lot about. Anyone got opinions of either?

He is putting on quality mid weight barrel, free floating it and bedding job. I'll sell the kit barrel and donor barrel to recoup some cash. Not sure what can be squeezed out of a 45ACP from an old rear locking boltaction despite all the accuracy enhancements, but he seems to think a couple inches at 100 is doable. I said why not, I got no other projects this year, lets have some fun and see what happens.
    I cant get better than 4" at 100, this is with trickled charges, sorted brass and bullets. 200m ram is a hit 8/10 bullet gets there after the muzzle report with a nice ping, great fun. I am waiting for my can to make it even better.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramson222 View Post
    I cant get better than 4" at 100, this is with trickled charges, sorted brass and bullets. 200m ram is a hit 8/10 bullet gets there after the muzzle report with a nice ping, great fun. I am waiting for my can to make it even better.
    For a rifle firing handgun ammunition 4 inches at 100 yards is about as good as you will get.

Consider that .45 ACP National Match hardball is only required to shoot a 3.5" diagonal at 50 yards, and good .38 Special match wadcutter ammo about 2 inches.

Here are some 100-yard groups fired with my iron-sighted .45 ACP Bunny Gun, with ordinary Ball ammo, which are typical.

Attachment 243171Attachment 243173
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned
    Thanks Outpost and Ramson . Well I just went along to a cowboy action shoot and got to see some of the 45LC and 44 rem in action. Surprised how quiet they are. One fella running a load of 4.5 clays behind 180-200grain in 44rem from a 20" lever. This seems to be the min load from hodgons data by the way. The sound of the bullet ringing the plate was similar to the gunshot. I was about 30 yards back with earplugs off to verify- maybe just how my ears hear it. For the record they didn't seem much louder than the 357's being fired on the line either, which was interesting. Anyway these noise levels in 45ACP will do nicely I think.

Boolit Buddy
    Douglas Ridge Rifle Club, Eagle Creek, Oregon
    This Thread has me wanting a 9mm or 45cal bolt action. I suppose making one is expensive.
    Last edited by Ramson222; 06-09-2019 at 09:33 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Just wanted to share the No. 4 I built in 45 ACP from a pretty badly sporterized rifle.

https://imgur.com/gallery/vSNrP

I liked the rifle well, but it's moved on to someone else because I have too many calibers to load for...

Steve

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123