Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Repackbox Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New vaquero shoots to the left

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I'll echo what Texas by God stated - the fix for this on a SA for eons was to slightly bend the front sight in the direction needed to correct the windage.Before doing it though - the suggestion to work on your grind use the chart is what you should try before getting the small crescent wrench out. If the NV is new to you - it may be a matter grip hold adjustment? I had a NV in 357 - 5 1/2" - I have shot single action for 50 some years - mainly C # With much worse sights than the NV. I had the same issue you are having and finally changed the grips out to a set of Eagle "gun fighter grips" that I bought off a guy to try - those combined with my hand size and some work on my hold got me shooting straight - it was me and not the revolver. I've since sold the NV and have a Uberti 4 3/4" 357 Bisley - a much better "fit" for me and accurate right out of the box - so I was lucky. I then went with a Uberti Cattleman - 7 1/2" 45 Colt. That as well shot very accurately for me but has a whole different "feel" to me than a NV has.

Another thing - don't know what your shooting - but check your throats - my NV was born with very tight throats (all I shoot is cast) and they didn't all match each other. If you have an issue with your throats - get with DougGuy - he's well known for taking care of that problem and does excellent work from all reports.

Boolit Buddy
    Put the gun in a ramson rest and see where it shoots, may have to look around to find someone with one, but it will tell you what's going on.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    Another thing - don't know what your shooting - but check your throats - my NV was born with very tight throats (all I shoot is cast) and they didn't all match each other. If you have an issue with your throats - get with DougGuy - he's well known for taking care of that problem and does excellent work from all reports.
    It’s been checked. My throats are about as close in tolerance as they can get which explains why it shot tight groups right off the bat with my first cast load.

I’m still pretty tickled how tight it shot. It’s getting point of impact on center now.

I shot a few high powered factory loads through last summer and it was all over the place so I now know it just didn’t like that load.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 05-17-2019 at 10:08 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

My shooting buddy for years, shot just about as well as I did. However, his point of impact, using the same revolvers, was quite different than mine. He shot low left several inches at 25 yards when the revolvers were sighted for me. So, it just may be the shooter's method of holding, etc.

I am a BIg fan of adjustable sights for obvious reasons. However, a number of years ago, I was very active in Black Powder Cartridge Rifle Silhouette competition. Some matches had side matches for revolvers. The regs demanded a single action fixed sighted revolver. I bought a 4 5/8" Ruger Vaquero in .45 Colt for my match gun. I first settled on a load that shot well. Then, I set about regulating the sights. I was quite fortunate in that the revolver was perfect for windage and it shot low. That was great! It was just a matter of removing a bit from the top of the front sight. Since our eyes sometimes vary a bit day to day, I decided to take just a bit off each of three different days. i ended up with a revolver that shot dead center at 25 yards. And-d-d, it shot really well.

Then, after a few matches, I decided I would be better served with a slightly longer barrel (for a longer sight radius). At the same time, I wanted to try a Bisley grip. So, a dealer wanted my Vaquero (he had seen me shoot it on more than one occasion and was impressed by it shooting to the sights). I took the money and bought a new Ruger Bisley with 5 1/2" barrel also in .45 Colt. Low and behold, that revolver shot to the sights with my chosen load right out of the box! Talk about being lucky!!!

At any rate, I had a pretty good run with that revolver winning a number of matches. It also made a dandy field pistol. I also had a smokeless load that shot to the sights, too. I still have that very nice revolver. It is a dandy:

Groo here
    There are a number of front sights for this.
    Freedom Arms makes a dovetail sight [ in different hights] that can be fit and adjusted.
    This would be a forever fix that would allow a change later if needed.

Boolit Master
    2" @ 25 yards would require about 1/64" of sight adjustment. I expect you'd be able to bend the front sight that much if so desired.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by str8wal View Post
    I expect you'd be able to bend the front sight that much if so desired.
    LOL.. I don't guess any of y'all have ACTUALLY done this, b/c the sight is hard soldered on and it will BREAK OFF in a NEW YORK INSTANT!!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

I can shoot with either hand. My DAD made sure of that. In my "paired" revolver sets. I have RightHand and Left Hand revolvers.

It seems I shoot Right eye/Right hand and Left eye/Left hand. Happens with all 3 sets of SA's.

Colt SAA's .44spl 5 1/2", Ruger Old Vaquero's .45Colt 7 1/2" and SA clones .44WCF 7 1/2".

I shoot one revolver better with one hand rather then the other.

Just weirdness associated with shooting hand guns.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Doug is right on this, folks, heed his words. I've replaced two of them in past years when I was gunsmithing. The sight blade has a curved bottom that fits into a shallow curved slot in the barrel and is soldered in. Excellent chance you'll pop it out of the slot when attempting to bend it. If not, it will probably be weakened and will go sailing off into the tall grass at some future shooting.

There is a mystery here, of so many of the NM Vaqueros shooting to the left. I am not at all convinced that it's a matter of grip. Even if it was, what a pain to have to adjust your normally used grip for a particular gun. Sometimes, when a barrel is removed from a revolver, it will be found that tiny metal chips were left in the threads during the manufacturing process either on the threaded portion of the barrel or in the frame's threads; and that cleaning them out and reassembling will seat the barrel sufficiently different to improve performance. It's not that common, though, and I have trouble believing that this problem is due to poor cleaning during assembly at the factory. But I have come to believe that there is something just a bit amiss in their assembly of this particular model revolver, perhaps a jig that's a bit off or an employee with insufficiently corrected vision. There's just too many for it to be coincidence. I think the only real solution is to start over and rebarrel them, and I think that's a solution Ruger wants to avoid due to the expense. It's not like the recall of a design defect where liability may attach and they have to do it to avoid that liability. In this case the gun works and they'd rather that it be your problem. So, with that in mind, I think that the best recourse is to seek help from a private gunsmith who does revolver barrel work and have it rebarrelled. As I confessed in earlier posts, I own one of these and the best help I could get from the factory was advice to use factory ammo. I must confess, a bit shamefacedly, that I tried it out and then just put it back in it's box and stored it away where it remains today in like new condition. At the time I was very into single actions, still am to a certain point, and felt myself better served by shooting guns that shot to POA. Maybe I'll dig it out this summer and follow my own advice. As also previously noted, I've got two OM Vaqueros that shoot very well, and a half dozen Uberti revolvers that are excellent shooters. The last couple of years my interests have retrogressed back to 1851s, 1860s, and open tops.

To the OP: No more than you are off, change your grip. Get that right and all will be well.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Groo View Post
    Groo here
    There are a number of front sights for this.
    Freedom Arms makes a dovetail sight [ in different hights] that can be fit and adjusted.
    This would be a forever fix that would allow a change later if needed.
    I like this . I dovetailed front sights into some of my cap and ball revolvers I wish they came with them.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    LOL.. I don't guess any of y'all have ACTUALLY done this, b/c the sight is hard soldered on and it will BREAK OFF in a NEW YORK INSTANT!!
    Doug, I believe you...and won’t be bending mine.

Boolit Master
    I have a Uberti Cattleman in .45 Colt that seemed to consistently shoot low and to the left. I was blaming the gun, but actually it was me. With a little more practice and determination, I can now hit a 4" wide steel target from 20 yards. A good stance, determination, and controlled breathing did the trick. Now, after having said all of that, I probably will not be able to hit the broad side of a barn.

Just for the record, I didn't say to bend the sight; just that I have seen it before. Another trick is to epoxy a shim on the side of the front sight and file the other side to correct windage. Then you have to dress it up and paint it but you'll be hitting right. But like stated make sure it's not the shooter first.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    I have a Uberti Cattleman in .45 Colt that seemed to consistently shoot low and to the left. I was blaming the gun, but actually it was me. With a little more practice and determination, I can now hit a 4" wide steel target from 20 yards. A good stance, determination, and controlled breathing did the trick. Now, after having said all of that, I probably will not be able to hit the broad side of a barn.
    This guy gets it. SA revolvers shooting left is far, far to common of a subject for the problem to always lie with the revolvers, and adjustable sights are simply a means by which shooters can continue with their bad shooting habits. A handgunner on another forum pointed out that if one will notice used revolvers with adjustable sights, one will see that most of them are adjusted far to the right.

I say all this as a rabid SA shooter for the last 10+ years. I learned the hard way that it wasn't the revolver, it was me.

So keep practicing and work on follow through when shooting, and I assure you these left-shooting revolvers will suddenly start shooting center.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    This guy gets it. SA revolvers shooting left is far, far to common of a subject for the problem to always lie with the revolvers, and adjustable sights are simply a means by which shooters can continue with their bad shooting habits. A handgunner on another forum pointed out that if one will notice used revolvers with adjustable sights, one will see that most of them are adjusted far to the right.

I say all this as a rabid SA shooter for the last 10+ years. I learned the hard way that it wasn't the revolver, it was me.

So keep practicing and work on follow through when shooting, and I assure you these left-shooting revolvers will suddenly start shooting center.

35W
    I agree wholeheartedly.

How much of your trigger finger you use could make a small difference.
    I always set up a target with a new gun, whether it's a fixed or adjustable sight.
    And use a rest. A water bottle isn't the best target to be using.

Filing the rear sight notch isn't really an option when the rear "sight", like on a Vaquero, is a long groove in the frame.
    I am set up to turn barrels on Colt and Ruger SA's, with a Brownells frame clamp, and hardwood blocks and rosin to grip the barrel. For a bigger windage problem, 2 inches or more, I'd turn the barrel.
    For less than two inches, putting a slight bend in the sight will work.

But for someone that doesn't have those tools to turn the barrel, you'd be better off taking Ruger up on their $30 offer and send it in.
    Different weights of bullets will show a different POI as far as elevation, but won't do much for a windage problem.
    Different brands might help the windage some, but I doubt there would be 3 inches of difference.

I have bent the front sight over on many revolvers, if it is a slight windage problem.
    But I did it knowing that I reload, and I could crank out that same load for years. If you are just buying whatever factory load you find, every time you change ammo you will see a different POI.

When bending over the sight you'll want to pad the sight so the pliers don't scratch it, and if you don't go overboard and try to bend it too much, you won't even notice it.
    If you have to try to compensate for a large windage problem, the sight will be leaning so much it will bug you.
    One, or maybe two bends will not break the sight off, but when you try to bend it back the other direction is when you really weaken that silver solder bond and could break the sight off..

Before sending it in to Ruger, I'd try to bend it slightly (if you are shooting left you want to bend the sight slightly to the left) and then see how it shoots.
    If you are still having a problem, then send it in to Ruger.
    They aren't going to get upset if the gun comes to them with a slightly bent over front sight.

Boolit Grand Master

You can always adjust to the gun, but if it isn't consistent from each gun you have, what good is it? I can't tell you how many fixed sight guns I've shot over the years, and I can't think of even one that hit exactly where I aimed, especially with the ammo I want to use. Is it my fault? Maybe some, but they all hit different places. The 4 most recent I can remember are a Sig P220 (technically windage adjustable with a punch), SP101, LCR, and a Heritage 22 lr. The Sig hits dead on windage, but about 4-6" low at 25 yards. I've since learned Sig intends the center of the dot to be on, so technically it's perfect. It's not right for me. My SP101 shoots about 4" low and 2" left. The LCR shoots about 10" to the right. The Heritage was shooting 12" high at least.

When you throw in the variable of ammo, it's just ridiculous to blame an experienced shooter.

Unfortunately there is almost nothing you can do. Shooting 2-3" to the left can be fixed by trying different ammo until it hits POA. That ammo almost always turns out to group like junk. If it shoots low, you can easily file the front sight. If it hits a significant amount left or right, not much you can do. Ruger might fix it. If it hits high, you are SOL.

Such is the life of fixed sight guns, it's my opinion that they are one step up from plain useless. I'd rather they just put a bead for a front sight, don't bother milling the top strap.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 05-20-2019 at 02:04 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Shooting 2" to the left can be fixed by trying different ammo until it hits POA.
    This could be solely attributed to the gun itself.

Tripplebeards, I asked this earlier and got no response, guess it got lost in the shuffle. When you dry fire the unloaded gun, what do the sights do? Can you dry fire and hold them perfectly aligned and motionless as the hammer falls?

If the front sight jumps to the left, this is your trigger finger pulling to the left after the shot breaks, taking up the overtravel. This normally jerks the sight to the left and usually low as well, and the groups will often shoot to where you are pointing the front sight.

Ruger SA revolvers have a fairly stiff trigger with a lot of travel, and the trigger can still move rearward quite a bit once it breaks out from under the hammer hook and the hammer begins to fall.

The BIGGEST aid you could get to help this, if in fact you are pulling it left, is to install a Wolff 30oz. trigger return spring. If you don't want to do this, at least take off the grips and pull one leg of the trigger return spring off and let it hang beside the hammer spring, it won't hurt nothing like that. NOW, try dry firing. SEE if pulling half the spring off makes it easier to hold the sights motionless while you dry fire.

I would work through this simple exercise until I can hold the sights still in dry fire, then memorize your grip and how your trigger finger pulls the trigger and do the same thing in live fire. I would do this before I would blame the gun for shooting left.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    You can always adjust to the gun, but if it isn't consistent from each gun you have, what good is it? I can't tell you how many fixed sight guns I've shot over the years, and I can't think of even one that hit exactly where I aimed, especially with the ammo I want to use. Is it my fault? Maybe some, but they all hit different places. The 4 most recent I can remember are a Sig P220 (technically windage adjustable with a punch), SP101, LCR, and a Heritage 22 lr. The Sig hits dead on windage, but about 4-6" low at 25 yards. I've since learned Sig intends the center of the dot to be on, so technically it's perfect. It's not right for me. My SP101 shoots about 4" low and 2" left. The LCR shoots about 10" to the right. The Heritage was shooting 12" high at least.

When you throw in the variable of ammo, it's just ridiculous to blame an experienced shooter.

Unfortunately there is almost nothing you can do. Shooting 2-3" to the left can be fixed by trying different ammo until it hits POA. That ammo almost always turns out to group like junk. If it shoots low, you can easily file the front sight. If it hits a significant amount left or right, not much you can do. Ruger might fix it. If it hits high, you are SOL.

Such is the life of fixed sight guns, it's my opinion that they are one step up from plain useless. I'd rather they just put a bead for a front sight, don't bother milling the top strap.
    I own by far more fixed sighted handguns than those with adjustable sights. In fact of the 20+ handguns I own, exactly 6 of them have adjustable sights. I've had too many negative experiences with adjustable sights with their tiny springs and screws and fragile blades. Fine for shooting under controlled conditions but too iffy for field use, in my opinion/experience.

With a couple of exceptions, the single advantage of adjustable sights is simply a better sight picture. Some exceptions that come to mind are the old Charter Arms Bulldog, a Ruger Police Service Six, and the few semi-autos I own, all which have fixed sights that are easy to see. A quality handgun, properly manufactured will not mysteriously shoot to the left or right. Barring a substandard crown or a misaligned barrel/improperly installed barrel, good handguns should (and do)shoot straight.

Regarding ammunition and POI, lateral variation should have nothing to do with the ammunition; in other words, there's no reason one load should group center and another group left or right. When I shoot one of my handguns and POI is left or right, the problem, 100% of the time is my technique, and in almost every instance I'm not following through after the shot, that is, allowing the handgun to "do it's thing" after the sear breaks. Vertical variation is another matter entirely, and can vary not only with different bullet weights but with light conditions, the amount of "grip" the shooter is using, how he/she holds the handgun and how well they understand and control follow through.

I've found vertical POI variation with ammunition is highly caliber dependent. For example, my 4 3/4" Uberti .357 with it's relatively low muzzle rise because of its heavier barrel, is much easy to shoot at distance. Same for my 32-20. My .44 Specials are relatively easy too and shooting groups on my 75 yd. 12" steel target is fairly simple whether using slow loads at 750-800 fps or hunting loads over 1100 fps. My Uberti 4 3/4" 45 Colt is a different matter. For whatever reason, POI's vary quite a bit with an equivalent to the "original" load (250 gr. RNFP @ ~850 fps) shooting much lower than my hunting load which is a 288 gr. cast SWC a little under 1000 fps. With any revolver I simply regulate my sights to the most important load; that with which I will be hunting. Really quite simple with everything except the 45 Colt.

Fixed sights in the hands of truly experienced handgunners aren't much of a handicap. Last year I bought a 40 lpi checkering file and took it to the rear of the front sights of several of my SA revolvers. What a huge difference it made in the sight picture! No more glare from sunlight hitting the front sight.

Your assertion that fixed sights are next to useless is itself ridiculous. Once a shooter learns proper technique with handguns, fixed sights are as capable as adjustable.

So, I STILL say SHOOT until everyone thinks you've lost your mind before you go to bending sights and turning barrels.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast