MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: 45/70 mold

Boolit Bub

45/70 mold

Looking for a mold to start casting for my TC Encore with a Bergara barrel. I will be powder coating the bullets so I don't really care what lube groves they have. I would ideally like to find at least a 2 cavity mold. I'm on a budget and have no complaint with the .40 Lee mold I currently own, problem is that it seems Lee only makes a 457 mold and sizer for some reason. It seems like most 45/70s need at least a 458 and most a 459 bullet for cast. Any suggestions for a reasonably priced mold in that size range?

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

1) I have (2) Lee molds suitable for the .45-70: the 405 gr. hollow-base designed for the Trapdoor Springfield and the 500 gr. Postell. Both drop slightly over .460 from my 30-1 alloy without any beagling. The 405HB, however, is only available as a single cavity.

2) If you're going to powder coat, you should be able use any of the Lee .45 molds as PC is going to add, at least, .001-.002 to the 'as-cast' diameter. You didn't state the twist rate of your Begara barrel, so I hesitate to recommend which might be best for you gun.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the info! The barrel is a 1:20 twist. It shoots 350 grain jacketed bullets extremely well! Just looking to cast for it to save some $$$. May end up buying a Lee mold and coating them and see how they come out for me.

Boolit Master

Both my .45-70 BPCRs - a Pedersoli RB and a Taylor & Co Highwall - have 1-18 twist and both shoot heavier boolits so well that I've never bothered 'going light' but with the 1-20 barrel (and success with 350 gr. JBs) Lee has a 350 gr. mold that you might want to consider.

Bill
    Last edited by Kraschenbirn; 05-16-2019 at 11:35 AM.
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master

The 1-20 barrel may do the shorter 500 grns well also. For the 1-20 twist I would look for bullets in the 45-450 grn range. Depending on load and velocity the Lyman 457125 500 grn rdn govt bullet may perform well since its a shorter bullet

I have this one:
    NOE 460-396-RF-AE2 RG2 cavity GC Brass

It is awesome. Makes hollowpoint 45 cal boolits that are around 375 or so grains!
    WWG1WGA

Here they are:
    Attachment 241776
    WWG1WGA

I got the Lee 340 and PC it. It shoots as accurate as I can through a Marlin 1895GG using 4895 and Marlin load data. I'm not in my reloading shed and don't recall the size after PC'ing but I run them through a 459 sizing die. I'm not trying to spend your money but they are less than $20.00 on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=lee+340+4...ref=nb_sb_noss

Boolit Man
    I use the 405 Lee mold and opened up the sizer to 458-459. Shoots great and only cost me $20

I used the lee 405 and powder coated it up to .459 and opened up the lee sixer to .459. It was a great combo. Using powder coat you should have no problems getting to the diameter you want

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for all the info guys! I'm going to order a couple of the Lee molds and coat the bullets and see how they work as cast and determine if I need to get a sizer or not

Boolit Man
    The larger diameter helps a ton so if you're not going to PC you might have to mod your mold to drop them larger

Boolit Grand Master

You might look at the RCBS 2 cavity molds. I've never had one that wasn't easy to cast with. I've shot both the 405 grain bullet and the 500 grain bullet I'm my Ruger #1. I recently bought my first Accurate mold, a 405 grain that drops out at .460.