RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load Data

Thread: High end optics question

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately

High end optics question

An acquaintance brought over some high end Leupold optics he wants to sell. All brand new. He won them in a raffle and really has no use for them since he has pretty much what he wants or needs.

Quite honestly I could post them here but I suspect the the vast majority of the folks here are much like me and paying $1800 for a new spotting scope and another $400 for tripod is NOT going to happen. Even half that isn't going to happen.( at least for me)

My questions are these:

1. What is a fair/reasonable asking price, percentage wise, of average retail listed by various vendors? For example, if the average retail is $1000 what percentage of that should be a reasonable starting point?

2. Anyone have some suggestions as to where items like these could be listed with an expectation of successfully selling them? (no ebay) Most sites, just like here, require "X" number of posts to list on their "for sale" forum which is a very good thing. Unfortunately the sites that might be a good place to list these items are WAY out of my league and by the time I accumulated enough posts to qualify to list these items I would be a LOT older than I am now.

I know pre-owned optics, even if never used, take a huge hit in the market place. The more common class of optics I have a bit of a feel for, but this high end stuff is somewhat beyond me.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master
    Find the lowest price new on the internet and beat it by 7-12 percent. I would start there. Average price is not what a bargin hunter is going to pay. High-end stuff may even have to be discounted a little more to get interest. They are taking more of a chance buying from an individual. You don't have the return privilege that comes from buying new.

Banned

lots of competition in the high end scope category today. I would have to say if I had a used leupold id start at 25 percent below internet prices and might even have to be willing to go to a 1/3 less then new. If it were any other brand short of a kahles, Swarovski, ziess or night force id tell you to be thinking in the 5o percent range.

Banned

Agree with Lloyd
    Unless I got a significant discount, I am buying new from retailer
    There may be buyers who will pay close to full retail, not me.

Agreed. For a $1,000 scope, $800 would be my list price with the expectation that I will drop to around $700 after dickering with the buyer

Boolit Master
    a lot of those "prices" are msrp and way inflated. Also the fact that, and just being real here, Leupold is kind of behind the times in competition. They sat on their butts for years making no true innovation, then along comes companies like Nightforce, Sightron, March, Vortex who give you excellent glass for the money. You generally don't see Leupold in the winners podium at matches compared to those other brands. Not that they aren't good scopes, but you can just get better for the same money.
    Same with the tripod, why spend $400 on a tripod that is made for taking pictures and you really cant use for shooting instead of buying a good shooting scope stand like a Giraud, Creedmoor, Ray Vin, etc for the same or less money.
    If you get me the SKU numbers I can get you dealer pricing for them and give you a basis.
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Good point, that $1,000 had better be the best price you can find online, not the inflated cabelas price.

Boolit Master

too many fake leupolds on the market, id not buy from someone other than a retailer.

Boolit Master

Consider the manufacturers warranty also. Leupold has a lifetime warranty to the owner so buying second hand is not a big risk. I don't know about the other high end scopes but I assume they may have the same. Do the scopes have the warranty card that would give the second hand purchaser a warranty or is POP required.
    These items have a lot to due with what I would pay for a scope. Like others have said buying from an established retailer gives the purchaser some advantages over a second hand purchase.
    80% of low price should attract attention if someone is interested in that particular scope.

Boolit Grand Master

https://www.leupold.com/service-supp...erfeit-warning

Consumer Alert
    We strongly recommend against purchasing optics purporting to be Leupold products from www.wish.com, www.ioffer.com, www.aliexpress.com, and www.alibaba.com, among many others.
    Leupold® is issuing a consumer alert to purchasers of Leupold riflescope products, particularly via internet sales, in regards to counterfeit Leupold products that are illegally imported from the People’s Republic of China. These fake products bear many of the trademarks and trade dress of current Leupold & Stevens riflescopes, and are sometimes difficult to distinguish externally from authentic Leupold products.
    Common counterfeit scopes purport to be Mark 4 riflescopes, VX-III riflescopes, Prismatic riflescopes, CQ/T riflescopes, LCO sights, and Deltapoint Pro sights. These counterfeits are regularly returned to us for service due to failures; however, counterfeit products are not manufactured by Leupold and are not covered by the Leupold Full Lifetime Guarantee. We do not provide service for counterfeit products.
    How to Check for Authenticity
    All Leupold riflescopes are given an individual serial number. Counterfeit scopes often use a fake serial number, all identical serial numbers, or incorrect numbering convention. If you find a scope that is suspect, simply write down the serial number and call 1-800-LEUPOLD to ask if the scope is authentic. In most cases, we can confirm a scope’s authenticity by its serial number.
    Leupold riflescopes are all designed, machined, and assembled in our Beaverton Oregon manufacturing facility. We do not have any other riflescope manufacturing facilities or offices anywhere in the world. So if you come across a Leupold riflescope being shipped into the United States from China, it is a very likely a counterfeit.
    We encourage all consumers to protect intellectual property and combat counterfeits by reporting suspected counterfeits to www.iprcenter.gov/referral or by sending us detailed information using the Ask a Leupold Expert form and selecting “Counterfeit Issue” for the “How can we help you?” question.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    https://www.leupold.com/service-supp...erfeit-warning

Consumer Alert
    We strongly recommend against purchasing optics purporting to be Leupold products from www.wish.com, www.ioffer.com, www.aliexpress.com, and www.alibaba.com, among many others.
    Leupold® is issuing a consumer alert to purchasers of Leupold riflescope products, particularly via internet sales, in regards to counterfeit Leupold products that are illegally imported from the People’s Republic of China. These fake products bear many of the trademarks and trade dress of current Leupold & Stevens riflescopes, and are sometimes difficult to distinguish externally from authentic Leupold products.
    Common counterfeit scopes purport to be Mark 4 riflescopes, VX-III riflescopes, Prismatic riflescopes, CQ/T riflescopes, LCO sights, and Deltapoint Pro sights. These counterfeits are regularly returned to us for service due to failures; however, counterfeit products are not manufactured by Leupold and are not covered by the Leupold Full Lifetime Guarantee. We do not provide service for counterfeit products.
    How to Check for Authenticity
    All Leupold riflescopes are given an individual serial number. Counterfeit scopes often use a fake serial number, all identical serial numbers, or incorrect numbering convention. If you find a scope that is suspect, simply write down the serial number and call 1-800-LEUPOLD to ask if the scope is authentic. In most cases, we can confirm a scope’s authenticity by its serial number.
    Leupold riflescopes are all designed, machined, and assembled in our Beaverton Oregon manufacturing facility. We do not have any other riflescope manufacturing facilities or offices anywhere in the world. So if you come across a Leupold riflescope being shipped into the United States from China, it is a very likely a counterfeit.
    We encourage all consumers to protect intellectual property and combat counterfeits by reporting suspected counterfeits to www.iprcenter.gov/referral or by sending us detailed information using the Ask a Leupold Expert form and selecting “Counterfeit Issue” for the “How can we help you?” question.

Good information. Thanks for posting that. I called Leupold with the serial numbers and the items are indeed Leupold made and guaranteed.

Actually, after reading some of the comments, I am thinking I'm just going to tell him to pick up his items and take them to a dealer for consignment sale. That way I'm out of the middle. It sounds as though his chances of getting them sold that way are much better.

Thank you all for your comments.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Bub
    If they are leupold, you can actually call leupold and they will verify the serial numbers as being valid or not.

They are VERY helpful.