Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Reloading Everything

Thread: Which Rem-Choke Wrench would you buy ?

Boolit Grand Master

Which Rem-Choke Wrench would you buy ?

Greetings
    Purchased a 28" Rem-choke barrel for use with our 870 that only had a rifled barrel for numerous years. Finally decided to give ourselves a bit more versatility with the Ren-choke design. Have purchased several used chokes but will need a wrench to be changing from full to Imp. cylinder and rifled for round ball if the need arises.

So thus the question... I have seen the flat steel traditional ones but also the adds for the round type.
    So if you can guide a new Rem-choke owner with your observations and experiences I would much appreciate it.
    Thank you Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

Choke tube wrench 12 gauge?

Hi , Paul First Make sure everything is clean ( Barrel and threads ) then put some thin grease on the choke threads then hand tighten the choke tube , put the tool into the tube and just make it snug( Do not over tighten ) then run a cleaning patch down the barrel just to make sure it`s clean again , And if is a 12 gauge Email me your address and I`ll send you the Wrench It`s yours for free.

Banned
    If you got a auto parts store near by get a tube of anti seize lube just a touch of it and you can shoot a lot of shells and that choke tube will come right out.

Boolit Grand Master

Good evening
    Yes I do know about anti-seize as we have several doubles I have put thin wall chokes (Brownells) into. Bought it at the auto parts store years ago when we were rebuilding to many engines for some who needed more.

Five-gunner... Thank you ! I will PM my US of A address in a short time as that is where the gun is and will be used.
    Have a Mossy down here with a Modified 28 inch for hunting and a 16" mounted for repelling boarders. Yes 16" (actually any length) is legal down here. Strict gun control but no issues on barrels. Have considered getting a junk barrel and cutting down to 12" moving the tube ring naturally.
    Thank you !!
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

Do yourself a favor and get a Briley speed wrench. Well worth the extra cost over the flat wrenches.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

I've used both, after I was in the position that I had none and had to buy a wrench for my new to me 870, I went with the flat wrench. Yes, it's slower than the round crank type, but speed is not a factor for me. Something that is easily carried, easily deployed for a quick tightening, and stays out of the way when not needed is what I'm after. Another benefit is that my buddy has an 870 in 20 gauge, should we be out together and his choke need to be snugged, the flat wrench works for both.

Now if I was shooting clays and wanted to change chokes between stages the crank type would be better. But then if that was my game, I'd probably have a shotgun other than an 870.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 05-15-2019 at 07:16 PM.

Boolit Master
    A quarter will work on 12ga.

Boolit Grand Master

Yep, a quarter or the rim of a shell work as well as the stamped wrenches. I gave up on the fancy wrenches, as every single choke tube gun I have comes loose sooner or later. My Benelli can only go 10 shots before needing tightening, my Mossbergs can usually go a box or two. The cures are to either A. tighten every so many shots, B. use thread tape or similar, or C. blue Loctite. I used Loctite on my Benelli, and use extended chokes only for the Mossbergs (I mostly use the fixed choke barrels though) to make it easier to tighten. I just live with it on the mag 10. Thread tape turns into a sloppy mess. Choke tube grease does nothing.

I buy fixed choke guns whenever I can. These frail internal chokes are a fad I hope passes sooner than later. The only removable choke I appreciate is on my TK2000, and it is a hefty externally thread on choke, with a nice fine thread.

Boolit Master
    I only have 1 shotgun with choke tubes.Even so I bought an IC fixed choke barrel for it too. I have 3 other shotguns all bought on clearance right at the end of the fixed choke era. Since they had fixed chokes I got them really cheap for the quality of the guns.
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master

Good evening
    Thank you everyone for your kind advice.
    Fivegunner is sending a wrench to my ILLinois address so that little detail is taken care of.
    Eventually, maybe next time north I need to think about down sizing pump shotguns. Numerous Mossbergs, Winchesters and one 870 are far more than I ever use. Actually our Fox B is what I use 90 % of the time. So we decided as far as pumps go keep the 870 and sell all the rest. My wife likes that one for some reason. That is why we added the Rem-choke barrel. No extra barrels (except the rifled) to mess with. And I doubt she will ever shoot a choke loose in a week. Crow hunting she may shoot once..
    Probably will sell off the extra Winchester and Savage doubles that just grow older with us. Maybe even the real old Fox.
    Mike in Peru