Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataWidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Tang sight question.

Tang sight question.

So I have my 1886 with a Lyman tang sight. It's a modern one but back in the day they came out of the factory with one, if the buyer wanted. So It's periodically correct.
    Frankly Im a fan of the peep sight, it works.BUUUT... Iv'e always wanted a Creedmore Vernier style sight. I just think they look awesome! The vernier sight itself is 75$ US which will be around 120$ Canadian with shipping. The base for the 1886 ( JUST THE MOUNTING BASE) is 96$US. MORE THEN THE SIGHT ITSELF!

So, I was wondering if Just the creedmore sight could fit in the Lyman sight base. I would take off the Lyman sight from it's base that is already mounted into the rifle, and take the base off the creedmore sight and mount it to the Lyman base.

Could this possible work? The Sights both have the same type of circular/ round pivoting base.

I would suggest first measuring the Lyman base's specs where the stem is mounted, then contacting the maker of vernier sight about the specs of either the sights lower stem, or the base.

If the specs are comparable, or even adaptable with a little work, you'll have your answer.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

I don't know whose vernier sight you are looking at for $75 plus $95 for the base but it will not be much of a sight. If it does not have micrometer elevation and deflection adjustment it will not prove satisfactory. Is your rifle drilled and tapped for a receiver sight? Unless you want to shoot long range, such a sight would be preferable to a tang of cheap vernier. If you really want a vernier sight, look at Hoke sights but you will need $500 to buy.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Grand Master

The sight it self is the same for any given rifle increasing quantity produced and lowering costs some. The bases are rifle specific part and a given base is lower production more of a one off type of thing.
    How far you want to shoot and how often you will be changing setting will be the big determination on the actual sight you need. Shooting silhouettes where ranges change every 10 rounds, wind needs to be adjusted for and ranges run from 100-600 yds needs will be different from hunting where sight is zeroed and wind and distance changes may be compensated for by holding off.
    I don't see even a short range soule vernieer with windage being less than a couple hundred dollars if its repeatable and accurately made. Probably in the $300.00 range in reality. A true long range version with 30 mins wind and 5" staff is going to be in the $400-$500.00 range. Then comes eye cups. A Hadley adjustable is around $80.00-$90.00 On these the rifles bolt is going to hit the sight every time the action is worked probably. The Lyman or Marbles tang may be preferable in durability and usability

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

I would suggest first measuring the Lyman base's specs where the stem is mounted, then contacting the maker of vernier sight about the specs of either the sights lower stem, or the base.

If the specs are comparable, or even adaptable with a little work, you'll have your answer.

Its not the maker but I message Track of the Wolf. Thast were i'd order from. Maybe they could measure one. Just from pictures the sight mounting point looks similar.

Im only interested in this sight for the looks honestly. Iv'e always been a fan of the big ladder style sights. I have a peep sight from Lyman now and it works great...