RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Henry Big Boy Steel 44 mag rifle

Henry Big Boy Steel 44 mag rifle

OK....considering my options here.....I already have an early Interarms Rossi 92 (maybe early 80's) in 357. Great shooter. That goes with my 357 handguns.
    Now I want (need?) a 44 mag rifle to go with my 44 special and mag handguns.
    How does the Henry Big Boy steel 44 mag rifle do with cast? How about with Jacketed?
    I am considering buying the rifle, having it completely disassembled, and sending the receiver, lever and hammer to Turnbull for case hardening. Their colors are simply gorgeous. Expensive ($400) but gorgeous.
    I need to think this one out before I pull the trigger.
    Anyone have one of these?
    Anything you can tell me will be helpful.
    Many thanks.
    Last edited by FISH4BUGS; 05-15-2019 at 06:46 PM.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

USMC 77, USRA 79

I don’t have one, but am interested... what sort of twist does the Henry have??
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    I just bought one of these and haven't had a chance to fire it yet will be following this plse post pics of the case harding would like to do this with mine.

Boolit Buddy
    I have one. Henry uses the same twist as Marlin. 1-38. Have no idea how they came up with that twist. I have only shot it so far with jacketed 200 grain XTP. And with a barrel mounted peep it was clustering them nicely out to 50 yards. But I only have about 40 rounds through the gun. I actually sent this gun back to Henry before I fired it. It had tooling marks through the rifling in the barrel. I asked for the barrel to be replaced and they did. Had it back in 10 days or there about. Great customer service.
    By the way Henry sells a Big Boy case hardened model. It isnt a Turnbull. But it isnt a cheap chemical case hardening either. They are finished by Tyler Gunworks in Texas. They are pretty nice looking.

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    By the way Henry sells a Big Boy case hardened model. It isnt a Turnbull. But it isnt a cheap chemical case hardening either. They are finished by Tyler Gunworks in Texas. They are pretty nice looking.
    I took a look at their case hardening. No offense, but it really is not very high quality....at least compared to Turnbull's.
    If you have ever seen Turnbull's work, which is bone charcoal case hardening, you would agree. I have seen his work on side by sides and it makes you drool. I am easily confident that his work is the best in the industry....but you pay for it....like most quality work.....I have been a fan of his work for years and have seen a fair number of restored guns of his....just gorgeous work.
    I really am thinking that this is what I want to do. The Henry seems to be a decent quality rifle and I have a few 44 special/mag handguns and don't have a rifle for them.
    I am going to have to sell a few collector's guns to do this project.
    I'll sell them here first.
    I really should seek treatment for my addiction.
    Here is Turnbull's web site. Take a look. https://www.turnbullrestoration.com/
    Last edited by FISH4BUGS; 05-15-2019 at 08:10 PM.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

I'll support your Henry decision.
    I bought a Big Boy Brass .357 and am very satisfied with it.
    I had handled and looked at a few over the years but then one popped up at a small, local variety store, and how hard they were to find at the time (2013) I took it after a long inspection.
    Fit and finish excellent and after a couple small issues (very small) it runs and shoots well.
    In all honesty I have NOT shot much lead through it as I do not cast anymore and have migrated to plated bullets but reading reports from others reveal ALL Henry calibers shooting lead well with worked up reloads.
    I will admit however one afternoon I happened to run some .38 Specials through it with lead bullets and while I didn't have many the few I shot surprised me with 50 yard accuracy as good as the .357 plated I was shooting.
    I am racking my brain trying to remember the load!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    I took a look at their case hardening. No offense, but it really is not very high quality....at least compared to Turnbull's.
    If you have ever seen Turnbull's work, which is bone charcoal case hardening, you would agree. I have seen his work on side by sides and it makes you drool. I am easily confident that his work is the best in the industry....but you pay for it....like most quality work.....I have been a fan of his work for years and have seen a fair number of restored guns of his....just gorgeous work.
    I really am thinking that this is what I want to do. The Henry seems to be a decent quality rifle and I have a few 44 special/mag handguns and don't have a rifle for them.
    I am going to have to sell a few collector's guns to do this project.
    I'll sell them here first.
    I really should seek treatment for my addiction.
    Here is Turnbull's web site. Take a look. https://www.turnbullrestoration.com/
    I have seen Turnbull rifles in person. I live about 20 miles from their shop. Yes they are a work of art. And yes there is no equal in that area of metal finishing. Turnbull is unique. I dont think Tylers looks like low quality work. That my opinion.
    There is a supplier of Turnbull finished Henry rifles. Here it is https://www.topshotarmory.com/rifles...rer=205&page=1

Sorry if you took my remark as Tyler's being low quality work. That's now how I meant that at all....I was just comparing it to Turnbull's.
    When someone is THE best, everyone else is not as good.
    Interesting that Top Shot Armory is doing exactly what I want to do. The cost is actually about the same. $775 for the rifle, $400 for case hardening, $250 for disassembly and assembly, and $100 shipping both ways.
    Now I have to figure out which guns to sell to get the money together!
    Thanks for the info!

Boolit Buddy
    No offense taken. I understand what you mean. Turnbull is very unique. I owned a Shiloh Sharps rifle from the company in Montana. They used to have all their case hardening done by Turnbull. Shiloh then did it in house. Very nice it was. But Turnbulls color patterns seem more unique to me than any I have seen. They had a small showroom at their shop in Bloomfield NY. Their guns are even more incredible in person.
    I think you will like a Henry Big Boy. I have had 2 of them. I had a brass version that I sold to a friend and was sorry afterwards. The wood was incredible and it was even smoother cycling and a better trigger than my Big Boy Steel. That said my BBS trigger is not bad. It is about 4lbs 1oz on my Lyman trigger gauge. They are a impressive company in my opinion. They will bend over backwards to make sure you are satisfied.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I'm looking at two different Henry's as well to go with my SAAs - one in 38/357 and one in 45 LC. I don't have 44s so can't speak to them but take some time and go over to the Henry Forum and do some reading - my looking over there has done nothing but convince me that they would work well with cast.

http://henryrifleforums.com

I think the biggest problem, at least for me, is do I want steel or brass. I have pretty much decided on the carbine version in both calibers - 7 rounds versus 10 - barrel 16" versus 20". The 45 LC will be a knock around carbine so I will probably get that in steel - the 357 will probably be a brass model. I have been told that those in 45 LC shoot very well with cast and i would have to believe the 44s are the same way. If you trick out your rifle with the custom CH, it will be a beautiful rifle! Good luck with whatever you get.

I'll also add that while I have been looking at Uberti and other makes - and I still want a Uberti lever gun and will eventually add one to the stable, the one thing that kept me going back and looking at and seriously considering the Henry to try at least one in either 38/357 or 45 is their quality and their stellar customer service - if it ever has a problem they'll take care of it in a very timely manner and "make it right". I have a Henry 22 lever gun that impresses the heck out of me for quality and how it shoots and if I could only have one 22 rifle, it would be the Henry and the others would go - in fact I have weeded out all of my 22s and the only ones left is the Henry and a Winchester 63 that was my Dad's.

Boolit Buddy
    I have owned a big boy brass in 357 mag for many years. There is no smoother action than that for me. I've owned two Rossi's, a Marlin, and for my money there is no smoother action than this one. Even the Steel actions from Henry aren't as smooth as their brass ones.

And for what it's worth, I guess mine prefers cast bullets, as my 180 grain load shoots like lightning out of it. It's very good with jacketed bullets, but it just seems to prefer those cast loads that I run through it.
    Liberalism isn't just a disease anymore, it is a mental disorder.

Sirach 2: 4-9

Any questions.......http://http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?293211-Bubba-w-a-45-70-is-a-bonafied-straight-shooter
    Or here....http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-shooter-too!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba w/a 45/70 View Post
    Even the Steel actions from Henry aren't as smooth as their brass ones.
    I have to agree. Even though my sample size is small. The brass Big Boy I owned was slicker and smoother than my BBS. Im wondering if the place of manufacture has anything to do with it. The Steel models are all manufactured in Wisconsin and the brass are done in NJ. Just a hunch

When I bought my BBB the steel version had not been introduced yet - but was soon to be released.
    When I eventually saw and handled one I can honestly say I DOUBT I would have gone with it over the BBB if I had the opportunity at the time.
    The fit and finish was NOT as nice as my BBB and while lighter It did not balance as well. I also did not care for the 'satin' blue finish on the steel version.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I know a lot of people like the idea of the same caliber hand gun and rifle. I’ve always wondered if, for best performance, would you load them both the same? Boolit weight, amount and powder burn rate?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistered View Post
    When I bought my BBB the steel version had not been introduced yet - but was soon to be released.
    When I eventually saw and handled one I can honestly say I DOUBT I would have gone with it over the BBB if I had the opportunity at the time.
    The fit and finish was NOT as nice as my BBB and while lighter It did not balance as well. I also did not care for the 'satin' blue finish on the steel version.
    The steel version wasn't available yet when I bought my brass version either. I just think the steel version is better suited as a hunting rifle. It has sling swivel studs, a recoil pad, not as shiny etc. But I am sure many people hunt with the brass versions too.

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I know a lot of people like the idea of the same caliber hand gun and rifle. I’ve always wondered if, for best performance, would you load them both the same? Boolit weight, amount and powder burn rate?
    Personally I think most people would simply load the same for both.
    I have loaded 357's up to ridiculous levels for the rifle, and segregated the reloads very carefully to make sure none get into the handguns. While I don't think any of those rifle loads would blow up the handguns, I would not want to feed them a steady diet of those rifle loads.
    If you are really OCD about it, you COULD work up separate loads...one for rifle one and for handgun. I am sure that the performance would be very different in each, but I don't have a chrono and find it tough enough to find enough time to cast and reload given the need to make a living in all this fun.
    Maybe someday when I retire I would take the time and effort....but I am semi-retired now....that only means I work just 45 hours a week!

I have loaded 357's up to ridiculous levels for the rifle, and segregated the reloads very carefully to make sure none get into the handguns. While I don't think any of those rifle loads would blow up the handguns, I would not want to feed them a steady diet of those rifle loads.
    I used to do the same thing but have backed off and settled into a 'happy medium' for both handgun and rifle.
    A couple reasons are I have an eight lb. jug of Unique to use up and it will take me a while but I use it for several different cartridges so that is an advantage.
    Another reason is my only .357 handgun is a early Mod 66 Smith and these aren't suited to a steady diet of 'full house' ammo.
    Bottom line is I have found 7 grains of Unique with a 158 gr. plated SWC bullet to be very accurate in both my Henry and the Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistered View Post
    I used to do the same thing but have backed off and settled into a 'happy medium' for both handgun and rifle.
    I think that is what most people do. Happy medium is fine with me.
    My 357 loads are light (5.0 gr WW231 with H&G #51) and full house (H&G #51gc w/ 14.4 WW296). My main 357 is a 1960's era S&W Model 28 6"...built like a tank. I think I can shoot full house loads all day and not hurt the gun....not that I do but I COULD.
    The carry gun is a S&W 640...perfect for those light loads....and can shoot 38's all day in both rifle and revolver.
    I think as close to a perfect combination as you can get.
    The 44 is next. My 44 is an S&W 5 screw pre 29 made in 1956. I bought it with no case, no tools, etc.....a shooter. And shoot it I do. H&G # 503 with 8 gr WW231. The full house loads are with WW296, and I really don't shoot a whole lot of them with it. That is one gun I REALLY don't want to shoot loose.
    That is why this whole thread started....a Henry rifle to do the 44's. I looked at the browning 92 and may even go that route.....but then I won't have Turnbull's case colors!
    Decisions....decisions.
    The happy medium is approaching.

Boolit Master
    1-38 twist in rifle is just fine I am huge fan of the 270 grain WFN or LFN cast you get great accuracy and penetration on game. The He Roy Rifles I own are really fantastic Rifles so my recommendation come from the fact I am a FanBoy.

I looked at the browning 92 and may even go that route.....but then I won't have Turnbull's case colors!
    If you found a B-92 and the price is right consider taking a long, hard look at it.
    These are very nice rifles and are hard to find.
    I passed on one many years ago and wished I hadn't!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast