Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: 38 / 357 lever gun - anyone here use a double crimp groove boo lit?

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar

38 / 357 lever gun - anyone here use a double crimp groove boo lit?

Just curious to see if anyone uses a double crump groove boolit in their 38 / 357 lever gun and if so, are you happy with results.

I'm downsizing and end result will be addition of 2 or 3 lever guns as I get rid of guns I don't use. In doing a search on here, I ran across a reference to a double groove boolit mold(Accurate) that would allow the use of the same boolit in either a 38 special or 357 casing - i.e. top crimp groove with a 357 casing would insure correct length for proper cycling and use of the bottom crimp groove and a 38 special casing with the boolit seated in the bottom crimp groove would produce a cartridge with the overall length of a 357 for better cycling. IIRC, one of the members here designed the boolit and Accurate lists them. One is in 150 grain and two in 170 grain.

36-150DG

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...36-150DG-D.png

36-170D

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=36-170D-D.png

36-170DL

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...36-170DL-D.png

Right now, I have my eyes on one of the Henry Big Boy Steel Carbines in 38 /357 to trick out for a general use knock around rifle - eventually will be adding a Uberti lever in 38 /357.

I'm looking to possibly using one of the above boolit styles - primarily so I have the option of either using 38 special brass (which I have a good supply of) and still have the option of using 357 brass of which I also have on hand but not in a lifetime supply.

My goal would be to develop a load that would work well out of the 16 1/4" carbine barrel as well s my Uberti 4 3/4" 357 magnum. Both the 38 special and the 357 mag casings would not be loaded "hot" but just general good shooting loads that are accurate enough for can killing and a woodchuck once in a while primarily.

I hadn't thought of a double crimp groove boolit design for use with both the 38 and 357 loadings until I ran across the posting. So am curious if anyone here uses these boolit designs or perhaps there are other designs being made with a double crimp groove for such purposes? I checked NOE but didn't see any on there. I don't PC and bolts would be tumble lubed in alox and paste wax as I do all of my boolits - again, won't be pushing them hard.

I had originally planned on using a 158 grain boolit - advice on which would be a better boolit weight in the above double crimp groove design out of the SA Bisley and the lever carbine - 150 or 170 grain?

Thanks for your experiences and thought.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	304A8A82-6E04-4623-9824-E81AD607AF1D.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	241759

This is a 185 hp seated in a 38 case to 357 length

Works well if your lo on 357 but 38 “rich”.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

I used to shoot the Lyman #358156 "Skeeter Load" in my Browning '92 all the time. never had a problem.

These days I don't load them anymore. I worry about having those loads on the shelf, when I die.

One of My Wife's Idiot nephew's would come along and stick in an alloy frame .38spl, not sure I'd care. But it would probably be My COLT Cobra or S&W Model 38.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    The NOE version of the 358156 is:360-165-SWC-T5. I use it as my general purpose .357/.38 bullet. I use it in a Henry .357 lever rifle and it works just fine.
    Loren

Boolit Master

358156 for the win. I think just about everyone loves this bullet.
    I load her long in the 38 and short in 357. Cycles great in a Marlin 1894 and a Uberti 1873.

My early 90’s marlin 1894C micro groove shoots the lee 125 Rf fine in 38 special cases and 357. A shorter SWC or full wadcutter in 38 special starts to do the marlin jam.

I designed 150DG for my own Henry BB steel. I have tons of old 38 brass.

Sized to .359" the front band just begins to engrave the rifling leade upon chambering, and it's very accurate, about 1" at 100 yds.
    The throat is too tight for .360"

I'm not a fan of heavy bullets; just don't see the need. So, the short nose looks a bit odd and blunt but it feeds slick and really shoots!

Many double crimp bullets such as the 358156 aren't designed to produce equal COAL with 38 & 357 brass, so the reason for the double crimp is completely different.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    TomAM - thanks for your kind response. I had run across a post about the 150DG but couldn't remember the designer - i.e. your "handle" - so am glad that you responded - credit given where credit due!

upper 150 DG was the one I was thinking about. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on one of the Henry Big Boy steel carbines 3/357. Like you, I have oodles of 38 spl. brass and was planning on using it in the Henry with just such a boolit. I changed my mind though - the companion piece to the carbine will be my Uberti 4 3/4" 357 Magnum Bisley. I'm not looking to kill an elephant so I never load at or even near max - just wanting a good plinking round that will kill cans and possibly a woodchuck or two.

I decided instead of the 38 sale brass that I'm going to use 357 instead and just "load 'em down". I got on the special run list for NOE for the 360-158 RNFP and plan on using that boolit once the molds are done and I have on in hand. I have a few 357 pieces of brass and was able to order a 1,000 + 1 X fired so I will have plenty of the 357 brass even if I should "lose some". My goal is to come up with a load that will work good in the Bisley and the Henry BB Carbine - if not able to hit a fly at 30 paces, at least come close enough to scare the bejeebes out of 'em.

That's not to say that at some point I may order the mold for your boolit and use some 38 brass. I do like the looks of your boolit and can see where it would work very well.

I'm downsizing - getting older and health keeps me from shooting as much as I used to. I've sold off some guns that I haven't used in a long time and have a few more to go - a consolidating what I load and will pretty much concentrate on 38/357 and 45 LC. I want to add a lever gun in both of those calibers and have wavered back and forth - originally wanted a Uberti 1873 rifle in 38/357 but decided to try the Henry instead - I can't justify the $ for the Uberti when the carbine is going to be a knock around rifle - maybe later on a Uberti '73 in 357 but for now - it will be the Henry. The next I'll add is a lever gun in 45 LC - so many good choices out there but I'm thinking a Uberti 73 for that one.

Thanks for you kind replay and the information on your boolit and your Henry - greatly appreciated!

Jim

Boolit Master

MP rerun of the 359-640 double crimp groove is running now.
    I loaded some that a member here kindly sent to me to function test.
    They run through my 1873 like water. You literally can't tell that there's a cartridge chambering. Amazing bullet

I use one also for rifle like 357 mag I use the top groove and when I load the 38spl for the same gun I use the bottom to gain the OAL. I also do for other ones that have more then one crimp groove. Top for the round the gun is for and what other that is shorter I go with the bottom groove.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

While I understand and agree with your mentality of having irregular things left for family
    Members to decipher... This one is not a worry because its loaded to 357 Length so it wont fit a 38 any more then any other 357 wouldn't fit in a 38.
    Along your line of thinking, I try hard to only use military cases for any case forming as more often then not, they dont carry a caliber designation. At least not an immediately recognizable one. Making it “safer” for someone acquiring them when Im not there to explain.

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    I used to shoot the Lyman #358156 "Skeeter Load" in my Browning '92 all the time. never had a problem.

These days I don't load them anymore. I worry about having those loads on the shelf, when I die.

One of My Wife's Idiot nephew's would come along and stick in an alloy frame .38spl, not sure I'd care. But it would probably be My COLT Cobra or S&W Model 38.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw