Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Intermediate Marksmanship Resources?

Boolit Buddy

Intermediate Marksmanship Resources?

For basic position shooting I've found a general consensus that Appleseed is the best value for basic training. And there are any number of online and book guides that talk about shot process: Strong position, sight alignment, breath control, trigger press, and follow through. Which is great. Everyone has to start with the basics. I was lucky enough to get coaching and do some competition back in undergrad.

What I haven't found are good resources in the next step. Good transitioning between targets and positions, faster follow up shots and the like. So I thought I'd ask you guys, what are some good resources? Anything that you know is a good place to learn the intermediate skills. Good videos (to stream or buy), essays, websites, books, training schools, programs etc. What do you recommend for learning the next level?
    "There are no solutions there are only tradeoffs" ~ Thomas Sowell

A book entitled, How I Became a Crack Shot, by Milton Farrow, was rather interesting. He was a champion shooter back in the 1880-90s. An interesting take on it.

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

Look at a couple of the books by Jeff Cooper. He has a couple that deal with "practical" shooting skills. You can read a synopsis on Amazon and decide which one you want to buy.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    A book entitled, How I Became a Crack Shot, by Milton Farrow, was rather interesting. He was a champion shooter back in the 1880-90s. An interesting take on it.
    Free to read:
    http://castpics.net/subsite2/Classic...crack_shot.pdf

I cannot suggest any place to teach civilian markmanship training any more or I would suggest some place.

Now, of course, if you want some **** fine marksmanship training, with a bit of added stress to help you perform in stressful situations, I would recommend going to a couple of places called, MCRD Parris Island in S.C., or MCRD San Diego in Calif...

You can then progress into more difficult and advanced marksmanship training as time goes by...

LOL

That's all I got right now.

G'Luck!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    take up CMP/NRA Highpower, join US riflteams website, get the books by Jim Owens. FYI youll learn a whole lot more by just shooting and talking to other shooters.
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

US army has a book on pistol marksmanship, Canuks (IIRC) have one on rifle shooting. Basic logic behind accurate shooting. Many 'run&gun' training programs around. You can do it yourself with practice on dueling tree, steel or just multiple bull type targets. Get a toy gun and practice target acquisition with a laser attached - you will learn a lot! Or use yours (unloaded) with a harder sponge rubber pad behind the trigger. Follow the bouncing dot - it doesn't lie.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

What discipline are you wanting to persue? Rifle ,pistol or even shotgun. There is a wealth of info put there but I need to know which way to point you. I thought Appleseed was mostly .22 rifle.

Boolit Master
    As mentioned by popper, here are a couple of online manuals you can look at if ya like:

One for pistol: http://www.pointshooting.com/freemar.pdf

One for rifle:https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a544533.pdf

Those 2 above are .pdf files & you can download them to read later or take elsewhere on a cellphone or tablet.

There are more manuals out there for free & download. Just have to do a bit of looking. I have a few US gubment manuals about marksmanship on my computer, but I am not sure on how to upload them to share them. I could email them to you if you like, just let me know.

G'Luck!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Thanks JB, that's probably where I read it at. I downloaded it to the laptop.

Boolit Buddy
    I do need more trigger time, that's always true CMP highpower would doubtless improve my ability to shoot long range, gauge the effect of wind on range etc. Worth doing but not what I'm looking for right now.

I'd be interested in learning the equivalent fundamentals for dealing with multiple targets under time pressure for handgun, shotgun and carbine. I would think this would have distilled down "here's the basic process" and that's what I'm looking for. I know it's no substitute for practice, but practice on your own without understanding is a great way to instill bad habits. I've considered starting steel challenge to start working on it as it seems to have the lowest bar as far as equipment and cost.

Edit: I will definitely take a look at the resources posted. Good starting points. Thanks!

Boolit Master

CMP National Matches at Camp Perry, Ohio start off with the Small Arms Firing School. Classroom & practice on day 1, match on day 2. Rifles & ammo issued on the firing line. Cost is around $50, the ammo you will be shooting is worth more than the entry fees. Check out the CMP web site. Lots of good info there. And you can buy a nice M1 while you're there at the CMP store. Tons of shooting stuff on commercial row too.

http://thecmp.org/

Boolit Buddy
    I had no idea that the CMP offered those courses. And I just bought my garand from them this year too!

Thanks Alstep, that's a great recommendation.

Boolit Master
    I've found some good lessons on youtube. You an find an area that your interest lies in and there could be several different answers to your question there.

USAMU, Thunder Ranch, Lucky gunner et al. There's no shortage of info out there.