Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Anyone loading the 350 Legend yet?

Boolit Master

Rugers ain’t friendly about feedin blunt Boolits... AND with this one in a AR mag... OAL changes are limited too.

XTP.s are feedin for me as are my Ranch Dog cast. But not as slick as a spitzer.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Quote Originally Posted by wallacem View Post
    I am loading the 350 Legend. ...snip... Think it is because of bullet shape. All factory loads feed great. Wondering if that is why factory is using those long pointed shape bullets. Wallace
    On the bolded, I'm thinking similarly. I tried some 125gr XTP, 140 Sierra JHC and 158gr LSWC-GC [5-4-3 from pic] seated to the cannelure or crimp groove, ftf jams on 2nd rd.
    Using an AR15 pistol with 12.5"bbl, CMMG mags, adj gas block. Switched to 180gr XTP seated out quite a bit and a Lee 358-200-RF 200gr, got same look/length as the WIN factory profiles, feed/function perfect. Something about the long straight wall needing that little help from the cone shape.

Hornady 180 XTP, Lee C358-200-RF 200gr sized "0.357
    Stayed with 25.5gr Lil'gun, seated to fit in mag, lightly factory crimped [Lee collet] to straighten bell

200gr cast avg 2013fps 1800fpe
    180gr XTP avg 2180fps 1899fpe

Both fed/extract perfect.
    I know the 180gr XTP looks ridiculous with the cannelure a mile out but it works.
    Interesting about the XTP, they were fairly consistent "0.3565. My other XTPs are dead on 357.
    I wonder how it is gonna hold up at that velocity... Gonna pop a few jugs, see if I end up with copper/lead sand or a decent weight retention.
    Center in pic is a Speer 180gr hotcor I got as 2nds from Graf&sons a few years back for my 35REM Contender, sized it to "0.357.
    Seated to mag length this thing loves them too, perfect function. #1 from pic. #2 is WIN PP factory load.

About my barrel; 12.5 "Sport Heavy" from tim@thearguy.com after trying one from KAK that was improperly chambered.
    Slugged LSWC comes out at "0.3555 groove
    "0.347 land (best I can figure, old eyes, tiny bullet)

Yeah, I know an AR15 using cast boolits
    Using straight wheel weights for casting, probably won't expand much but will surely make two holes.
    Happy with feed and function, Planning to do some groups next.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190819_171852.jpg   20190820_051434.jpg   20190819_185153.jpg   20190818_160710.jpg   20190710_203337.jpg  

Boolit Master

My buddy is sitting on about 750 round of factory ammo and a whole bunch of separated cases and blown primers.
    Winchester won’t answer his calls and keeps giving him to the phone extension to nowhere.
    Anyone have a work around to get in touch with these guys?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J. Spangler View Post
    My buddy is sitting on about 750 round of factory ammo and a whole bunch of separated cases and blown primers.
    Winchester won’t answer his calls and keeps giving him to the phone extension to nowhere.
    Anyone have a work around to get in touch with these guys?
    My first bbl from KAK did that, had a bad chamber. Another couple guys on a MI forum had them too, chamber cast showed roughing reamer too far in.
    Also saw a yt video of a guy with some over crimped WIN 145gr FMJ. He got refunded and ammo replaced by WIN. Maybe the yt channel made the difference?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190428_070303[1].jpg   20190502_185901.jpg  

Boolit Master

Yeah he had an issue with his first barrel but the second seemed fine. The KAK did a recall.
    However the ammo is exactly like that isn’t he YT channel. Way over crimped with the same results. What a mess.
    Yeah maybe having the YT channel helped. Time to make a video on YT and cal out Winchester for dangerous ammo that should be recalled.

Boolit Master

https://www.deltateamtactical.com/Da...urce=Customers

Looks like delta team tactical has a super deal on uppers.

Today my American Rifleman magazine arrived in the mail. There is a feature article on the 350 Legend. Have not read all of the article yet, but it looks like several rifle manufacturers are on the 350 Legend bandwagon as are a couple more ammo companies. Maybe this cartridge is going to be a much bigger thing than I assumed.

Anyone been out hunting with this round yet? I'm hoping for some good results this year since it'll be the first. I haven't looked into any new rounds in a long time, but this one has my attention! So far from this thread it seems that aside from getting the first-batch production issues cycled out, down-sizing to .355" is the way to go?

Boolit Master

Its gonna be very good. Its a ballistic match to the Maximum thats been going since the early mid 1980’s. I have taken dozens of deer inside 150 with 180 xtp/180 SSP and 170 Deep Curls in the maxi at about 2100 fps.
    This “Legend” will be just as good!

CW

I'm going to use the hornady 170 grain
    .355 bullets in my chamber.
    They shot under an inch at 55 yards using 24.8 grains H-110 and cci 450 primers.
    Primers were rounded and had no pressure signs.
    I seated to col 2.240 and with my feed ramps dremmeled and polished they feed well.
    147 and 180 xtp's work also with starline brass.
    Going to size some boolits to 357 for practice.
    Last edited by 45r; 10-11-2019 at 09:21 AM.

Boolit Master

Last night I loaded 20 with four progressive aa1680 loads starting @ 28g. Under a 150 Corlokt bullet sized down to 356

Shot 25g, then 26.5 last Sunday a couple @ 27. Zero pressures and only 1850 fps. Velocities ran too slow so Im gonna try these.

Cw

Boolit Master

Has anyone tried out one of the delta team tactical barrels or uppers yet?
    I'm thinking of picking on up.
    My LGS just got in a shipment of 350 legend brass and it's calling my name

The only reason I was in Cabela’s was a $25 gift card I received for getting older. I finally saw real live .350 Legend ammo. I opened a box, pulled one out, looked at it and said” You’re a weird looking little pointy headed fella”, put it back and got a box of high dollar 7.62x39 Hornady SST.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	167921BE-90C4-47B3-9918-813B402147B1.jpeg 
Views:	63 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	249575

I ordered 400 this AM from Graffs.

I shot my loads tonight and with each 1/2 g increase the groups tightened right up till the last load, 29g was perfect clover leaf. I didnt measure case heads but they dont appear expanded much the primers are ever so slightly flate ing. My 16” RARR ;

27.5 was 1900 fps
    28 was 1945 fps
    28.5 was 1980 fps
    29 was 2047 fps

Im gonna load 29.5 and 30 next. 29g was 99% compressed at my depth.

Tried some lilgun,imr-4227,Re-7,viht N-120, and 300-mp with the hornady 170 yesterday.
    W-296/h-110 was still the most accurate with good velocity.
    24.5 grains and rem 7 1/2 primers shoots 1.5 inch 7 shot groups.
    COL = 2.255.

Quote Originally Posted by postban View Post
    180gr XTP avg 2180fps 1899fpe

I wonder how it is gonna hold up at that velocity... Gonna pop a few jugs, see if I end up with copper/lead sand or a decent weight retention.
    I've loaded the 90gr .309 XTP to ~2300fps in the .300BLK and shot it into water jugs. The nose from the truncated cone shoulder to tip shatters off of it but the base retains its jacket and continues penetrating.

It is an impressive performance and retains much of its weight. Recovered bullets look like the cone was chewed off. Explodes gallon water jugs into multiple pieces.
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Boolit Master

I have shot and harvested multiple deer with the 180 XTP at those velocities from my 357 maximum thru the years. Yes it will hold up. Maybe not as well in larger bones up close. But overall it will Work well.

Now having said that... I understand that hornady changed that bullet and dropped the extra cannalure. As you likely know a cannalure serves multiple purposes and holding in the core is one... NOT AS ALL SURE its the same bullet as it was/has been. Hornady swears its same... but lacking a cannalure, no its not the same.

CW

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    I have shot and harvested multiple deer with the 180 XTP at those velocities from my 357 maximum thru the years. Yes it will hold up. Maybe not as well in larger bones up close. But overall it will Work well.

Now having said that... I understand that hornady changed that bullet and dropped the extra cannalure. As you likely know a cannalure serves multiple purposes and holding in the core is one... NOT AS ALL SURE its the same bullet as it was/has been. Hornady swears its same... but lacking a cannalure, no its not the same.

CW
    The 90gr .309s I've recovered don't have the cannelure and suffered no jacket/core separation. However Hornady has the jacket and core bonded on these seems to work well.

I have shot Hornady's 86gr JSP .30 Mauser bullet with cannelure and can say that the cannelure does nothing to hold that jacket on at >2000fps.

Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    I went to the range today! I shot three cast loads and four Jacketed loads.

Cast;

200g RN GC sized 356 BHN 15. Powder coated on top of 18g 4227. Shot 2.5” @ 100.

190 WFN GC sized .356 BHN 13, also powder coated. Shot on top of 1680 powder. Shot mostly touching 50Y

180 Ranch Dog GC sized .356 BNH 18 but not fully hardened. Shot ALL ONE HOLE 50 and 1” @ 100.

Jacketed;

180 XTP sized .356 24g 1680 shot one hole @ 50 and under 1” @ 100y

180 Rem HP sized .356 H110. Shot 3” @ 50 never shot @ 100.

180 Sierra Silhouette SP IMR 4227 21g shot one ragged hole @ 50 and 1.5” @ 100y.

140FTX sized .356. Seated on top of 21.8g of factory powder. Shot single hole 100y groups!!!!!! VERY IMPRESSED!!

I have four more boxes of factory Im gonna pull, trim and seat resized FTX on top of 21.8g of factory powder.

Like previous Rugers this one is shooting better every range trip. No chrony today. Loads derived from Maxi Data and personal experience. Not a single Load shows any pressure signs measuring case head expansion. Used a mix of Mag and std SR primers.

CW
    What are the brands/ models of those Moulds? Im fixin to ramp up and load these. Want to shoot cast only through my guns, for paper and hog duty. Maybe jacketed for deer.

Can I size down jacketed bullets with my Lyman lube sizer?

Anyone making dies other than Lee? I wont use Lee dies. My only foray into that arena was years ago with a .50 beowulf. Never again Lee anything other than drip o matic pot.

Running a Ruger AR pattern as well as a ranch rifle soon.

Boolit Master

Morning Chaos!

OK here ya go;

1) Lyman 358315 204g RN

2) LEE Group buy no number on mold 190 WFN

3) LEE 360-190 RDGC. Ranch dog mold

4) DO NOT SIZE JACKED IN A LYMAN LUBER SIZER!

I agree 100% on LEE DIES!! But I have to say LEE makes a bunch of GOOD EQUIPTMENT! (Just no dies, scales, or powder measures and no to most of there presses for me) The lee push thru sizers are perfect for the PC cast bullet guy!! I still Prefer my 450 for GC and conventional lubed bullets.
    NOE also offers a push thru sizer that superior to the LEE. I recomend a good solid reloading press and imperial size wax for Jbullet Sizing. I also find I need to lube the first few bullets thru a virgin sizer bushing!?!? Anyone else see super difficult very first bullet
    Thru a new bushing??

Good luck

CW

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast