RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone loading the 350 Legend yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J. Spangler View Post
    I'm no fan of Winchester, but what he's showing has all the hallmarks of a chamber issue. Win isn't helping by putting out ammo that doesn't meet the specs they made for it. Take a good look at the video from 12:03-12:13. Sure looks like more than .001" clearance all the way around the bullet (max SAAMI clearance at .002" total). Read through these two threads that have the same issue Initially it's the same OP and gun, but others join in with the same issues caused by an out of spec chamber.

https://www.migunowners.org/forum/sh...ght=350+legend

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/35...ds/121-739384/
    Last edited by Moleman-; 06-12-2019 at 12:37 PM.
    350 Legend, imitation is the highest form of flattery. Aww, Thanks Winchester!

Former boolit designer

well, still looks like a 9mm to me.
    vmthtr@charter.net is NOT my paypal addy

Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    I'm no fan of Winchester, but what he's showing has all the hallmarks of a chamber issue. Win isn't helping by putting out ammo that doesn't meet the specs they made for it. Take a good look at the video from 12:03-12:13. Sure looks like more than .001" clearance all the way around the bullet (max SAAMI clearance at .002" total). Read through these two threads that have the same issue Initially it's the same OP and gun, but others join in with the same issues caused by an out of spec chamber.

https://www.migunowners.org/forum/sh...ght=350+legend

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/35...ds/121-739384/
    I’m guessing it could be a little bit of both. My buddy had 2 kak barrels which seemed out of spec and low and behold we’re recalled.
    Though in this guys video when he reloads his own with proper size bullets and a proper crimp (factory was sizing down the bullets to .3565” on crimp) the issue is eliminated.
    I hope this whole debacle doesn’t kill off this cartridge. Smaller issues have killed off cartridges in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J. Spangler View Post
    I’m guessing it could be a little bit of both. My buddy had 2 kak barrels which seemed out of spec and low and behold we’re recalled.
    Though in this guys video when he reloads his own with proper size bullets and a proper crimp (factory was sizing down the bullets to .3565” on crimp) the issue is eliminated.
    I hope this whole debacle doesn’t kill off this cartridge. Smaller issues have killed off cartridges in the past.
    I hope so too, but he should offer up a chamber cast to verify the entire chamber is correct as the freebore measurement is never given.

Good point.
    When my buddy gets his new barrel I’ll order some cerosafe

Boolit Buddy

Call me stupid but how does a case the head spaces off the mouth expand enough to get case head separation? Unless the ejector is holding the case against the bolt I don't see how it would even fire.

Quote Originally Posted by DDriller View Post
    Call me stupid but how does a case the head spaces off the mouth expand enough to get case head separation? Unless the ejector is holding the case against the bolt I don't see how it would even fire.
    Bad headspace (could be gun or ammo related) or over pressure are the two classic answers. If the chamber has good headspace and the ammo is within the acceptable range (guys have measured ammo over and under the spec-shame on WIN) the next thing to look at is diameters. The SAAMI minimum cartridge case mouth diameter is .370" (.378"- .008" on the cartridge print) and a maximum allowable chamber freebore dia of .359" (.357" +.002" as called out on the chamber print). That leaves you with .011" to headspace on worse case if everything is in spec. Guys have measured case mouth diameters under the SAAMI spec of .370" on factory Win ammo and there have been chambers cut with the freebore step larger than .359". If the chamber step from case mouth to freebore is beveled too much it will also allow the case to wedge in too deep and cause issues as will too large of a freebore.

Boolit Master
    I had sent the video to my gunsmith and he said that there is something not right on the ammo. He said he dose not care much for Win ammo and mainly stick with Hornady ammo . He did say he did not get any notice about the ammo that was in the video. But who knows
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

I would rather shoot junk commie ammo before I would ever shoot Hornady. Hornady is some of the worst ammo produced. BUT, their bullets are GTG. They just can't load ammo.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123