Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Anyone loading the 350 Legend yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J. Spangler View Post
    I'm no fan of Winchester, but what he's showing has all the hallmarks of a chamber issue. Win isn't helping by putting out ammo that doesn't meet the specs they made for it. Take a good look at the video from 12:03-12:13. Sure looks like more than .001" clearance all the way around the bullet (max SAAMI clearance at .002" total). Read through these two threads that have the same issue Initially it's the same OP and gun, but others join in with the same issues caused by an out of spec chamber.

https://www.migunowners.org/forum/sh...ght=350+legend

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/35...ds/121-739384/
    Last edited by Moleman-; 06-12-2019 at 12:37 PM.

Banned

well, still looks like a 9mm to me.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    I'm no fan of Winchester, but what he's showing has all the hallmarks of a chamber issue. Win isn't helping by putting out ammo that doesn't meet the specs they made for it. Take a good look at the video from 12:03-12:13. Sure looks like more than .001" clearance all the way around the bullet (max SAAMI clearance at .002" total). Read through these two threads that have the same issue Initially it's the same OP and gun, but others join in with the same issues caused by an out of spec chamber.

https://www.migunowners.org/forum/sh...ght=350+legend

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/35...ds/121-739384/
    I’m guessing it could be a little bit of both. My buddy had 2 kak barrels which seemed out of spec and low and behold we’re recalled.
    Though in this guys video when he reloads his own with proper size bullets and a proper crimp (factory was sizing down the bullets to .3565” on crimp) the issue is eliminated.
    I hope this whole debacle doesn’t kill off this cartridge. Smaller issues have killed off cartridges in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J. Spangler View Post
    I’m guessing it could be a little bit of both. My buddy had 2 kak barrels which seemed out of spec and low and behold we’re recalled.
    Though in this guys video when he reloads his own with proper size bullets and a proper crimp (factory was sizing down the bullets to .3565” on crimp) the issue is eliminated.
    I hope this whole debacle doesn’t kill off this cartridge. Smaller issues have killed off cartridges in the past.
    I hope so too, but he should offer up a chamber cast to verify the entire chamber is correct as the freebore measurement is never given.

Boolit Master

Good point.
    When my buddy gets his new barrel I’ll order some cerosafe

Boolit Master

Call me stupid but how does a case the head spaces off the mouth expand enough to get case head separation? Unless the ejector is holding the case against the bolt I don't see how it would even fire.

Quote Originally Posted by DDriller View Post
    Call me stupid but how does a case the head spaces off the mouth expand enough to get case head separation? Unless the ejector is holding the case against the bolt I don't see how it would even fire.
    Bad headspace (could be gun or ammo related) or over pressure are the two classic answers. If the chamber has good headspace and the ammo is within the acceptable range (guys have measured ammo over and under the spec-shame on WIN) the next thing to look at is diameters. The SAAMI minimum cartridge case mouth diameter is .370" (.378"- .008" on the cartridge print) and a maximum allowable chamber freebore dia of .359" (.357" +.002" as called out on the chamber print). That leaves you with .011" to headspace on worse case if everything is in spec. Guys have measured case mouth diameters under the SAAMI spec of .370" on factory Win ammo and there have been chambers cut with the freebore step larger than .359". If the chamber step from case mouth to freebore is beveled too much it will also allow the case to wedge in too deep and cause issues as will too large of a freebore.

I had sent the video to my gunsmith and he said that there is something not right on the ammo. He said he dose not care much for Win ammo and mainly stick with Hornady ammo . He did say he did not get any notice about the ammo that was in the video. But who knows
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Banned

I would rather shoot junk commie ammo before I would ever shoot Hornady. Hornady is some of the worst ammo produced. BUT, their bullets are GTG. They just can't load ammo.

Boolit Master

I went to the range today! I shot three cast loads and four Jacketed loads.

Cast;

200g RN GC sized 356 BHN 15. Powder coated on top of 18g 4227. Shot 2.5” @ 100.

190 WFN GC sized .356 BHN 13, also powder coated. Shot on top of 1680 powder. Shot mostly touching 50Y

180 Ranch Dog GC sized .356 BNH 18 but not fully hardened. Shot ALL ONE HOLE 50 and 1” @ 100.

Jacketed;

180 XTP sized .356 24g 1680 shot one hole @ 50 and under 1” @ 100y

180 Rem HP sized .356 H110. Shot 3” @ 50 never shot @ 100.

180 Sierra Silhouette SP IMR 4227 21g shot one ragged hole @ 50 and 1.5” @ 100y.

140FTX sized .356. Seated on top of 21.8g of factory powder. Shot single hole 100y groups!!!!!! VERY IMPRESSED!!

I have four more boxes of factory Im gonna pull, trim and seat resized FTX on top of 21.8g of factory powder.

Like previous Rugers this one is shooting better every range trip. No chrony today. Loads derived from Maxi Data and personal experience. Not a single Load shows any pressure signs measuring case head expansion. Used a mix of Mag and std SR primers.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

Nice, keep it coming!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    I would rather shoot junk commie ammo before I would ever shoot Hornady. Hornady is some of the worst ammo produced. BUT, their bullets are GTG. They just can't load ammo.
    Maybe you like the European ammo because its usually hotter than US ammo

Boolit Master
    Very interesting, but...HOW would the cartridge do in a plain vanilla lever action rifle, perhaps with 16-18" barrel, with a ~160 gr. LNFP boolit a'la Veral's creations? Or, would a heavier boolit be advisable? Could a .357 rifle Magnum be rechambered for this round, and would it be "mo' bettah" than say a rechamber to .357 Maximum? If so, HOW?
    BTW, the video looks like a rifle problem to me.
    IT IS A FINE AND PLEASANT MADNESS !

Boolit Master

This same guy has posted a second video.

https://youtu.be/8wEvKrgxfvs

Ammo apears to have been his issue as he stated. He says he has a few barrels and has a friend with another that all have shown same issue. All are fine now with the new ammo Winchester has sent him.

CW

Boolit Master
    FYI , just got email that Starline has brass in stock.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast View Post
    Winchester lists a subsonic round but no bullet weight. I wonder if the 215 grain Lyman 357 Max bullet (358627?) would be good for a subsonic round in this caliber? Could it be a better suppressed cartridge for wild pigs than the 300 Blackout?
    The bullet weight is 265 grains.

Boolit Buddy
    I am loading the 350 Legend. Had waited till Hodgdon brought out loading data online. They are only showing three bullets, both are .355" dia. For dies I am using 357 mag dies, only sizing about 1/2" down. I am using the 147gr JHP load and it is doing great. From what I read the barrel is .355 but they are giving it extra room somehow to allow loading a .357 dia bullet or even the .358". I may try the 158gr jhp pistol bullet like I shoot in the .357 Maximum, but have not seen any reliable loading data to support it yet. I have used some with .357 maximum loading data and they shot fine, just not strong load. Last, I found the factory cases to vary widely in length. They are measuring from 1.693" to 1.707". Trim length is 1.70". What do you do with that? Using the Ruger Bolt gun. Wallacem in Ga

PS: Just remembered to mention, I am having a real problem with feeding from the mag to chamber with my reloads. Wont work good at all if I work bolt slowly. Slam it hard and it goes right in. Think it is because of bullet shape. All factory loads feed great. Wondering if that is why factory is using those long pointed shape bullets. Wallace
    Last edited by wallacem; 08-08-2019 at 09:22 AM.

Boolit Master

Wallacem,

Look for a try Hornady 158 XTP FP. You can lube them with Imperial and run them thru a 356 or 355 LEE push thru sizer quick and easy!! Im shooting the 140 FTX sized down to 356 for targets and coyotes. (Shot nuttin yet) Im not so confident in the bullet holdin together at 2300 fps... BUT it shoots MOA in my RARR!

Cw

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, good idea on sizing down a tad. Notice my additions about feeding above.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast