Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lee Classic Turret vs. ABLP vs. LNL

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boolseye View Post
    Thank you. Another member with a similar output.
    Since we're all CB shooters here, let me get to the expander question.
    Taz, JB, what are you guys doing for your expander set-up when loading for cast?
    We all know that the included expander plugs are often insufficient for our larger-diameter cast slugs.
    My plan is to get another Lyman multi-charge expander die (I already have one), or use my NOE plugs when necessary. I don't use stock Lee expander plugs for anything, since I load almost exclusively cast.
    The Lyman can take a powder measure too, not sure which ones fit beyond the Redding which I use.
    I use NOE expander plugs in Lee Univ. Exp. dies for most of my pistol calibers. On occasion I would have a boolit swaged down & decided that it would be easier for me to just get the dies & plugs & not have to worry about it any longer no matter what alloy I decide to use.

Each of us has different reasons for what we do & no one is really right or wrong, IMO. We all just have to find what works for each of us & then be happy with our results once we figure out what we like best.

Once again, G'Luck! whatever ya decide to do.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    If you are reloading is “relaxing” guy and you already are happy whit what you’ve got, it would be a waste of money to get a progressive. If it’s a “necessary evil” to get what you want, a progressive will either make your load sessions shorter, less work or your going to start shooting more..
    So true! I don't shoot a lot but I do have 2 progressive presses. I enjoy the "process" of loading. As a retired person not only does it save me a little money but it gives me something to do which I like doing but it also keeps the mind and body active. I am not loading any more volume but I have reduced my work. Though that still doesn't mean I have increased my speed. I can take my time and weigh check charges and also check OAL as they come off the press. I also don't use a powder cop or lock out die as I make sure I look into each case before a bullet goes into place. Just because the speed is available doesn't mean one has to use it that fast.

Boolit Buddy
    I like the Lee Classic Cast Turret because it is simple, precise enough for my handgun needs, and I never worry about squibs. I have added a case Kicker from InLine Fabrication. I watched several YouTube's and found 4-5 handgun cartridges per minute common. This makes for 250 per hour as a realistic count. Which is about 1/2 of a slow progressive press.

As noted, caliber change are inexpensive and permit a turret for each one you have.

Richard Lee recommended a progressive for a caliber you shoot at more than 500 per week. So keep that in mind.

The ABLP is a game changer. It has the simplicity of a turret. Caliber changes are considerably more expensive with the shell plates & bushings. For the cost you get 4-500 cartridges per hour. So it is just shy of a Progressive press under the Richard Lee Rule of Thumb.

Boolit Master
    I like the look of that case kicker. With the lower cost of caliber changes I think we're still talking about a great deal.
    Also those bins and stuff are included, and shipping for 60 clams. Pretty great.

While we're on it...is there anything to the occasional complaint you see of the indexing feature not lining up, or failing entirely? I have not read any other negatives of the LCT and don't know whether that's even a thing.

I am basically there with the LCT, I just want to cover all my bases.

My opinion is about as valuable as any so here it is. I'm down to two progressive presses these days. I load almost all handgun rounds on one or the other if loading 10 rounds or 500 unless it's just for "testing" something different. That would just be a few to start and I would do that on a single stage. (I have two of those also) It's no more difficult to load 10 or 20 rounds on a progressive press than it is using a turret, it's just faster. I've owned several turret presses, the last two were the Lee Classic Turret model. They were o.k., I sold them both. There is a bit of an "acquaintance" period with a progressive press but once there you'll understand what I mean about using one for small(er) amounts. I do enjoy reloading, in fact more than shooting, that's why like many here I have WAY MORE ammo stored in boxes than I'll probably ever shoot by myself. Welllllll, maybe. But as fast I shoot them I reload them so the stack never really seems to get smaller...when I decide I want to become "one" with my ammunition I load rifle stuff. All done on a single stage, with all the brass prep, turn necks, flash holes, uniform primer pockets, case comparators, bullet comparators, weighing, measuring, comp mics, concentricity gauges, you name it, anything I can think of or read about. It gets crazy but I enjoy it. Does it make a difference in my shooting accuracy? naw, probably not, because unlike most here, I'm just not a very good shot, but, I don't own a 6.5 anything, if I did I'm sure I would do much better..... I like all reloading presses, I just think they're cool stuff, I just prefer a progressive cuz they're "cooler" than the others.....

Boolit Master
    These are the parts I hear most of people breaking on the LCT I have not needed to replace any on mine but my shooting buddie has replaced this little .50 cent square a couple of times if you try to turn the turret by hand and it does not turn to change turrets raise the ram to the top and you won’t break it . The other piece holds the little square don’t strip the screw order a couple of the little squares . I think Titan and midsouth both stock them. If you order with the press you save shipping.
    https://leeprecision.com/square-ratchet.html
    https://leeprecision.com/auto-index-clamp.html

Quote Originally Posted by Boolseye View Post
    I like the look of that case kicker. With the lower cost of caliber changes I think we're still talking about a great deal.
    Also those bins and stuff are included, and shipping for 60 clams. Pretty great.

While we're on it...is there anything to the occasional complaint you see of the indexing feature not lining up, or failing entirely? I have not read any other negatives of the LCT and don't know whether that's even a thing.

I am basically there with the LCT, I just want to cover all my bases.
    In my experience the indexing on the LCCT is easily adjusted and doesn't move after being set unless the turret is jammed somehow when it is being rotated by the rod. I did that once by improperly adjusting the bracket for the safety prime. Just make sure nothing is rubbing the turret or die lock rings when the turret is moving. Also, lubricate the turret occasionally to ensure smooth and easy indexing. Adjusting the indexing is done with a crescent wrench and the turret with the turret being held in your hand. No special tools are required.
    The turret has an indexing/detent ball that is spring loaded for a solid indicator when alignment is correct.
    Get a couple of extra of the indexing squares. You don't need them often and they are easy to change. When they get worn out, the turret doesn't index correctly or at all. It can be very annoying.
    They are made of plastic and last longer than you would think they should as long as you don't oil them enough to soften them(don't ask how I know that). My last one lasted thousands of rounds. The current one has at least 10,000 rounds on it.
    I used to recommend that you get a couple of extra return springs for the safety prime seating mechanism, but the new ones have an improved spring that doesn't have the issues of weakening that the old version does. It turns out the new spring will fit the older safety prime mechanism and works well.
    The indexing clamp can strip out by over tightening during a ratchet square change but the easy fix is to get a longer bolt and a nut for the end that tightens against the side where the threads come out. You will never have trouble with it again. I did that just on general principles to prevent having it interrupt a casting session.
    I haven't used the case kicker, but it sounds like a good idea.
    Last edited by tazman; 05-15-2019 at 11:16 PM.

Boolit Master
    Appreciate it guys. I figured it wasn’t a big deal. My experience with Lee stuff is that it tends to work, whatever else you may think of it.

Thinking I’ll give myself a chance to check out that LNL before I make a buy. Buddy who owns it went to FL, so it’ll be a couple weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have gotten most of Lee’s products to work with great to satisfactory results, the only *** I have found so far was their bullet feeder.

If I had even the slightest need for another press, I’d get one of these, just because they are so cheap and I haven’t played with one.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...gressive-press

Even had it in the cart once but it was a bit less tempting once I added the stuff I though I might want.

Too bad they don’t sell a complete version, with primer, powder, etc. vs being an à la carte deal.
    Last edited by jmorris; 05-16-2019 at 08:13 AM.

Boolit Master
    Yeah. I’m thinking the same thing (and I have had it in many carts )
    I may just buy it because it exists. It’s a no-lose proposition.

If you can get a good deal on the LNL, that would be a better choice, having owned a couple LNL’s and a Loadmaster, Hornady has a better priming system.

Also for whatever reason Lee doesn’t make a shell plate the right size for 9mm, they use the same one (BL Pro 19) they use for 40 s&w, despite the fact they are .030” different in diameter. Might seem like a good idea when you’re buying stuff because you can use the same one for both but when you have issues priming because the case isn’t centered, it quickly becomes obvious that it’s a bad idea.

On the Loadmaster you can fix it with an extra die in #2 to center the case but it primes on the handle down/ram up stroke, the BLP does it on the ram down/handle up stroke, so that’s no an option.

Using the Hornady you would have to buy a #8 for 9mm and a #10 for 40 but you don’t have the frustration of priming issues.
    Last edited by jmorris; 05-16-2019 at 09:52 AM.

Boolit Master

Lee Classic Turret vs. ABLP vs. LNL

Gotcha. Yeah, that .40/9mm shellplate DID seem like a nice two in one...but of course the 9 will be a little sloppier.
    Thanks. I am thinking that I don’t load enough to bother with the LNL, which, again, brings us back to the LCT. Choices choices. Step AWAY from the reloading press

Last edited by Boolseye; 05-16-2019 at 11:49 AM.

Boolseye since you state you already have an RCBS turret press and a Lee single stage press to me the question would come down to the Hornady or the ABLP press as I doubt you will be relieving yourself of the RCBS press.

So between those two presses the thoughts and considerations would be; how cheap can the Hornady press be gotten for. Little savings or substantial saving? What is the volume you are looking to do? If high volume then the Hornady w/o question. Moderate volume then it becomes a toss up. Again if the price is so right on the Hornady. If moderate to lower volume then to me it would be the ABLP. It's inexpensive, simple to use and at least twice as fast as any turret with the ease of use of a turret.. Also the Lee case feeder can be added for a very reasonable cost.

I do have a Lee 3 hole turret, Lee Pro1000 and now a Lee ABLP. I do also use all three for different applications and can load 380, 9mm, 40cal, 38/357 and 45acp on all three. I have the shell plates for both the Pro1000 and the ABLP. I have also loaded 9mm on both the Pro1000 and the ABLP using the #19 shell plate and I haven't experienced any if the problems associated with that plate. And Yes I also prime on all my presses and they have been quite reliable and provide good feedback feel while priming.. If I feel the slightest problem I stop to investigate. As long as I do my part the press will do it's part.

Boolit Master
    Many thanks. I'm going to read through all of your suggestions again and consider.
    I'll report back when I make a decisive move.
    -BE

how cheap can the Hornady press be gotten for.
    That’s a very important question.

If it’s a smoking deal, you can get it and if you don’t like it get rid of it and buy a couple cheaper presses.

Boolit Master
    yup.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bluehorse View Post
    My opinion is about as valuable as any so here it is. I'm down to two progressive presses these days. I load almost all handgun rounds on one or the other if loading 10 rounds or 500 unless it's just for "testing" something different. That would just be a few to start and I would do that on a single stage. (I have two of those also) It's no more difficult to load 10 or 20 rounds on a progressive press than it is using a turret, it's just faster. I've owned several turret presses, the last two were the Lee Classic Turret model. They were o.k., I sold them both. There is a bit of an "acquaintance" period with a progressive press but once there you'll understand what I mean about using one for small(er) amounts. I do enjoy reloading, in fact more than shooting, that's why like many here I have WAY MORE ammo stored in boxes than I'll probably ever shoot by myself. Welllllll, maybe. But as fast I shoot them I reload them so the stack never really seems to get smaller...when I decide I want to become "one" with my ammunition I load rifle stuff. All done on a single stage, with all the brass prep, turn necks, flash holes, uniform primer pockets, case comparators, bullet comparators, weighing, measuring, comp mics, concentricity gauges, you name it, anything I can think of or read about. It gets crazy but I enjoy it. Does it make a difference in my shooting accuracy? naw, probably not, because unlike most here, I'm just not a very good shot, but, I don't own a 6.5 anything, if I did I'm sure I would do much better..... I like all reloading presses, I just think they're cool stuff, I just prefer a progressive cuz they're "cooler" than the others.....
    If I may ask, what model progressives do you use?

Boolit Master
    One more question re. ABLP: can it be used more as a single stage/ turret if desired? I like to have that option.

You can use any progressive as a single stage, just load one case at a time in it, when it falls out, load another.

I have had both 3 and 4 hole lee turret presses , early loadmaster, ABLP, Lyman all american turret, lyman Tmag, Older hornady progressive Projector press and have used a RCBS 4x4 for a while. I tried the Lee ABLP over the fall and did not like the primer feed system. They didn't bother to figure out a way to hands off automatically dispense a primer and ended up putting a priming system on it that I wouldn't even bother with on a single stage press. The ram head also seemed tippy because of the small diameter ram v/s the much larger size of the ram head. Ended up giving it to my uncle who wanted to load a few hundred 9mm, 44 and 45 rounds a month faster than he could on his single stage. I had no real issues with either the 3 or 4 hole turret presses other than they're not as fast as a progressive (still have a 3 hole out in the garage on a shelf for one of my kids). Really liked the loadmaster and I could load more rounds per hour on it v/s the Hornady set up similarly. The early loadmasters ram head would slip out of time if used much which they corrected 25 years ago at least. But that's what ended my use of the loadmaster. The older hornady progressives are very similar to the current ones without as much stuff bolted to them. I'm still using the hornady progressive I bought around 1992 along with 10 shell plates. Gone through a couple primer arm springs (simple torsion spring) one case retention spring and have adjusted the indexing pawls 2-3 times now. I'd get a new version but I hate the LNL system and don't want to constantly be taking them on/off when swapping between presses. If you've got a chance to get a used LNL at a good price I'd go that route over another turret and use it to load your high volume cartridges.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast