Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is making your own black powder worth trying.

Boolit Master

Federal law prohibits storing anything over 50 lbs.. JMO but if anyone ventures into this, SAFETY is most important, paying attention to detail, PATIENCE and PERSERVENCE. Since I started making it, I've had really good results both in BP rifles and centerfire. I still haven't got to the "pucks" yet, but I screen wet BP and let it dry and it does fine. Line 'em up, knock 'em back then fill 'em up again!
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

USMC 77, USRA 79

I am totally agreeing with Diesel Horse man... screen wet, be safe, line em up, knock em down, rinse, repeat.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Man
    I haven''t seen anyone mentioning that self made black powder often ends up a lot less dense than the commercial one. For some uses(muzzleloaders) this doesn't matter, but for revolvers and cartridge use a lightweight powder is a pain to use.

So assuming you don't have access to a hydraulic press I would only make my own black powder if you plan to use it in muzzleloaders. My Pedersoli side by side especially likes home made very coarse powder.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by flynth View Post
    I haven''t seen anyone mentioning that self made black powder often ends up a lot less dense than the commercial one. For some uses(muzzleloaders) this doesn't matter, but for revolvers and cartridge use a lightweight powder is a pain to use.

So assuming you don't have access to a hydraulic press I would only make my own black powder if you plan to use it in muzzleloaders. My Pedersoli side by side especially likes home made very coarse powder.

I do mine in a bench vice and and while not as dense as store bought it works good enough. Out of a 40-65 I get 1200fps and 2F Swiss gives me 1275fps. The couple deer that I have taken couldn't tell the difference.

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Puck maker 002.jpg  
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    I do mine in a bench vice and and while not as dense as store bought it works good enough. Out of a 40-65 I get 1200fps and 2F Swiss gives me 1275fps. The couple deer that I have taken couldn't tell the difference.

Bob
    Wow, this is pretty cool. I wonder how much force this vice has. Probably in the region of two tons. What is the size of the part that squeezes the powder? I never tried a vice. I just assumed anything other than an at least 20 ton hydraulic press wouldn't have enough force so my homemade powder was not squeezed at all. After seeing your post I have to reconsider.

Boolit Master
    Wow, this is pretty cool. I wonder how much force this vice has. Probably in the region of two tons. What is the size of the part that squeezes the powder? I never tried a vice. I just assumed anything other than an at least 20 ton hydraulic press wouldn't have enough force so my homemade powder was not squeezed at all. After seeing your post I have to reconsider.
    45/75 winchester original loads quoted as 350 grain x 1383 FPS -- homebrew load FFg willow powder = 335 grain x 1480FPS -- factory blackpowder ballistics easily achievable yes!
    10 shot string carefully loaded gave ES just under 10FPS

Boolit Master

It is a 5" Bench vice. The puck maker is 2 inch PVC with tight fitting aluminum pistons. It isn't fast but suites my needs. Even though my powder isn't as dense I get more velocity per grain of weight than Swiss.

Bob

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Poseidonsfist View Post
    I started making bp about 35 hrs ago at 10. Dad made it for his friends that had a bp group. I still do it now because no one near me has it. Too many storage laws. So really even a pound is worth it. After a few batches, mine is as good as my dads was. And I liked his better than the store ****. It’s very consistent.
    35Hrs ago you was just 10 yrs old ???
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !

Boolit Master
    I use a HF 6 ton press and a Fly die to press mine and it works well. I had been thinking about it for awhile when the thread started. After reading for awhile I decided to give it a try. I have used Willow, Alder, and Tree of heaven. All three work well and burn pretty clean for me. I am satisfied with it. I enjoy the process of making it as much as I do shooting it.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12