RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Sharping Stones

Boolit Buddy

Sharping Stones

I am kind of a knife sharping freak. Have several oil stones both soft and hard and do a pretty good job with them. I heard about Japaneese water stones and how good they were. Any one here know about them and advice they could give?

I have a set that I found cheap at a rummage sale. 5 stones total.

But, for average work, a good Arkansas stone, a steel and a barber's strop will do IMO the same thing with less time, less fuss.

An old friend of mine now in his 80's used to sharpen the hospitals scalpel blades on his hard Arkansas stone.

I still like Arkansas stones for removing material, reshaping a blade, changing a blade profile, etc.

But the vast amount of sharpening I do these days is a simple V steel (can't get the angle wrong) and a strop.

New blade once a week as I am walking by the strop I give it 10-15 strokes on each side. Once happy with the sharpness it is once a month or so give it a few licks just to keep it that way.
    There are many many options, and many will chime in here saying the belt sharpener's rock. And they have their place. I just prefer doing it my way. YMMV.

Boolit Grand Master

I am kind of a knife sharping freak also. I have Japanese water stones and they are very nice but they are not a magic solution.

This is by far the best system I have found.

https://wickededgeusa.com/
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I just use Arkansas stones and they do all i need sharp enough to shave with.