Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Does Anyone make a Sabot that will allow the use of .458diameter projectiles in...

Does Anyone make a Sabot that will allow the use of .458diameter projectiles in...

Does Anyone make a Sabot that will allow the use of .458diameter projectiles in a 50cal muzzleloader?

It seems I have enough 405gr soft lead slugs from an RCBS mold that are really softer than I'd like to shoot in my Marlin 1895 and I figure that these long heavy bullets launched in a sabot from a muzzle loader should be deadly on deer...

Boolit Master
    MMP makes an orange sabot for a .458 bullet. I used them for a while with the Barnes Original 300g bullet.

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    I don't think Harvester makes one for a .458 bullet. It doesn't appear to be listed. The MMP sabot is easy to find and it's specifically for a .458 bullet.
    http://mmpsabots.com/store/orange-hph-sabot/

Thank You, Exactly what I was looking for.

Now I can shift to making 20:1 (Pb:Sn) bullets for my Marlin or 20:1 range scrap:tin...
    I absolutely HATE tracking wounded deer but I don't mind all that much when they leave a blood trail that looks like it was made by an Aerial Fire Fighting Tanker... But as my brother says it is preferable to have them drop like a sack of potatoes and land on their own footprints!

I still have an old box of Barnes Originals (400gr RN) that they are in the gold foil wrapped cardboard boxes, with the American Fork, Utah address, but they work too well in my Marlin to stuff them into a smoke pole... My RCBS 405FP mold can make thousands of new bullets for a fraction of the cost, just my time and I'm retired...
    Last edited by AllanD; 05-14-2019 at 11:16 PM.

Boolit Master
    You might want to check to see if your muzzle loader is safe to shoot with a 400g bullet. I had a Savage ML2 smokeless ML and it wasn't recommended for anything over 300g, and that's about as strong an action ever built for a ML. Also, the Original Barnes was 300g, not 400g. Because of the breech plug threads in a ML, that area of the gun is very weak compared to a regular rifle. Using a bullet that heavy can be very dangerous. Take it as a warning before going any further. Seriously, check with the manufacturer. I'd bet they'll say not to do it. A 300g is pushing the envelope.

Boolit Master

In Remembrance

Soft .458" diameter slugs can be easily sized to .452" using one of the Lee push-through bullet-sizing dies. I do this to paper patch them for use in a .45-70 rifle that needs .460" diameter slugs and for use in a .50 caliber CVA Wolf inline using sabots. The Lee dies are inexpensive and handy. I have several sizes ranging from .451", .452", .453, and .454". This allows me to size slugs to fit various sabots or paper patching to specific diameters.

Well their website is SCREWED it hangs on their Captcha and doesn't progress past verification.

Life is too short to deal with vendors that hire INCOMPETENT web designers.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    You might want to check to see if your muzzle loader is safe to shoot with a 400g bullet. I had a Savage ML2 smokeless ML and it wasn't recommended for anything over 300g, and that's about as strong an action ever built for a ML. Also, the Original Barnes was 300g, not 400g. Because of the breech plug threads in a ML, that area of the gun is very weak compared to a regular rifle. Using a bullet that heavy can be very dangerous. Take it as a warning before going any further. Seriously, check with the manufacturer. I'd bet they'll say not to do it. A 300g is pushing the envelope.
    300 grains pushing the envelope? I don't think I've ever shot anything less than 300 grains in a 50 caliber rifle, and that includes 44 bullets in a sabot.

Boolit Master
    Read it again. Didn't say 300g, I said 400 may be too much. I really don't care if you shoot them that big or not. Your choice, your eyes, your fingers. I also suggested he consult the manufacturer, not someone with a keyboard that says "I do it all the time, so it must be OK".
    Last edited by NSB; 05-16-2019 at 09:26 PM.