MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1” Napoleon Canon

Boolit Mold
    That looks like a blast!!!!! Have always wanted a cannon..... and can a scaled down one would be awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Nice !
    A friend of mine acquired a 1" bore "ship cannon" - think what you see in pirate movies, but only about 2 feet long .
    Being the group caster, I got tasked with feeding it. After a fruitless search for 1" lead balls, I found a "cannon ball sinker" mould that cast 4 different size balls - one of which was a nominal 1". Actually ends up approx 0.96".

With his bore, bare ball rolls down bore, thin patch takes slight pressure to ram home.
    Just a blast to fire - pun intendClick image for larger version. 

Name:	balls.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	242030Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cannon.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	242031ed.
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Mold
    steel barrel? That’s a neat cannon!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Now guys those cannons are very very cool. I would travel a little distance to see one of those touched off. I can't explain why I would like one of these (especially to the wife ), but for some unknown reason I do. For practical reasons I would go with one that is a more available caliber such as a .58. I know you get more bang for your buck with a 1" however!
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    I tried the LabRadar, but there is just to much stuff flying around that it fails to pickup the bullet.

For two weeks I pretty much did nothing else....

Here are photos of a hard steel plate 12x12” x1/2” thick,shot at 50yards. It passed through another mildsteel 5/16” plate at 25yards
    Attachment 241736
    Attachment 241737
    With the steel plate do you have anything coming back at you? I have no problem banging away at steel with lead, steel on steel scares me. I've whacked a few anvils over the years and seen the rebound of a 3 lb. hammer. I suspect a 1" steel ball at 1000 fps is generating a whole lot more energy then me and my hammer.

Lead just splatters, fall straight down or at most comes back 5-6 feet depending on the size slug and how solid the target is.

Boolit Master
    Smoked Turkey,
    Midway carries Traditions cannons in 50 and 69 cal. Yea, smaller but muzzle loading balls are every where.
    I have my eye on the Mountain Howitzer.
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    I have engineering drawings of a ships cannon ,from the US Constitution , 1/10th scale ,I would like to build some time in the future . Drawings call for brass ,but getting the correct brass alloy could be a challenge .Maybe steel coated with Ceracote would be better.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    With the steel plate do you have anything coming back at you? I have no problem banging away at steel with lead, steel on steel scares me. I've whacked a few anvils over the years and seen the rebound of a 3 lb. hammer. I suspect a 1" steel ball at 1000 fps is generating a whole lot more energy then me and my hammer.

Lead just splatters, fall straight down or at most comes back 5-6 feet depending on the size slug and how solid the target is.
    That was a consern in the beginning, but for some strange reason if you are lucky enough to get a fired projectile, you usualy get it with in just a couple of feet from the target. I recon about 200 shots have been fired with the cannon, but I cannot remember ever hearing a recochette. The plates are not fixed to anything, they topple over like silhouette targets, maybe that helps to eat up the energy in the projectiles, I don’t know why they behave the way they do...

These balls were recovered in the burm, the one that has broken in half hit a steel deflector plate that sits at about 40 degrees.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2939E3EF-1523-4251-853D-5E057C7F898A.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	242075
    Last edited by Fisher; 05-20-2019 at 12:29 AM.
    God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

Boolit Master
    I have about 4' section of 40mm anti air craft gun barrel sitting in the garage. Been there for years. Bore well lubed. Would like to make up maybe a mini Napoleon out of it. But with a twist, instead of a wheeled carriage maybe a civil war naval carriage. Brcause of the alloys used in these barrels you cannot weld on them without a lot of pre teatment and post treatment of the metal. So all attachments have to be threaded on. And either fuze or pull primer ignition. Frank

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by smoked turkey View Post
    Now guys those cannons are very very cool. I would travel a little distance to see one of those touched off. I can't explain why I would like one of these (especially to the wife ), but for some unknown reason I do. For practical reasons I would go with one that is a more available caliber such as a .58. I know you get more bang for your buck with a 1" however!
    In my brief investigation on what caliber to build the gun, I found that a 1” is the largest caliber you can shoot fairly cheap if you buy steel balls at a ballbearing supplier, my lead stash is just to valueble to sacrifice for cannon fodder.... It work out about $2.80 a shot 1/2for the ball and 1/2 for the black powder (you get 17shots from a pound of FG), with smokeless it is quite cheaper to shoot as you get around 80 shots on a pound if pistol/shotgun powder.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    I have about 4' section of 40mm anti air craft gun barrel sitting in the garage. Been there for years. Bore well lubed. Would like to make up maybe a mini Napoleon out of it. But with a twist, instead of a wheeled carriage maybe a civil war naval carriage. Brcause of the alloys used in these barrels you cannot weld on them without a lot of pre teatment and post treatment of the metal. So all attachments have to be threaded on. And either fuze or pull primer ignition. Frank
    You Lucky FISH to have that barrel laying around!

Don’t waste that barrel on a smooth bore cannon! Rather build a 1/2 scale 10pdr Parrot rifle or better still an 1/2 scale 3” Ordnance Rifle with that.

The Bohler 200 steel I used also is an issue to weld, the trunions fit into sinked holes on the barrel, and a breach plug made of the same steel, the removable plug helps allot when cleaning the barrel and clearing obstructions.

Name:	D9F6FF14-B271-4499-A33E-A4D5076ED983.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	242078

Name:	9079153C-8EEE-4C12-9750-08E4A9738C61.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	242079

Name:	ECE7504B-AF68-41E9-8F53-C087FF986B41.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	242080

Name:	9F924186-1FDA-4D61-8502-80CD79D42A54.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	242081
    Last edited by Fisher; 05-20-2019 at 03:11 AM.

Boolit Master
    You can get steel balls scrap or free from an excavator rebuilder.....catch is you have to go with the size thats used in slewing rings...........

USMC 77, USRA 79

I think it would be fun to shoot a big pile of lead shot out of the 1 inch gun.. maybe double 0 buck??? I can’t imagine the spread and damage... they used to shoot all sorts of nail, and overall junk in those things... why not buck?
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    That looks fantastic what a great job. I used to build cannons in high school machine shop until administration got wind of it. And had to cut them in half. Made me bring in ones i already made and cut them in half to. I would have tried to keep some but they had a list of material i had purchased from school.

Boolit Master

WOW that's awesome great job.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    I used to build cannons in high school machine shop until administration got wind of it. .
    Kids get ripped off now days.
    In Woodshop, we could buy the hardware kit, make the stock, and build a 75 pound draw strength crossbow.
    The guys in metal shop could make a 1/4" bore naval cannon that you kicked off with firecracker powder, and fired a ball bearing.
    The Electric shop would let you make a shock box that triggered when picked up, was so powerful that it'd almost stop your heart.

They also offered a power mechanics class.
    There you could rebuild and hot rod/trick out your go-kart or motorcycle engine.

In most schools, they don't even have shop classes any more.
    Maybe they fill the time with discussions on flower arrangement.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    I think it would be fun to shoot a big pile of lead shot out of the 1 inch gun.. maybe double 0 buck??? I can’t imagine the spread and damage... they used to shoot all sorts of nail, and overall junk in those things... why not buck?
    I so wish I could send the slow motion video... I wil try some screenshots...
    Load I use is about 2 1/2 oz steel bb’s roughly 190 balls
    Cannon was elevated about 3 1/2’ on a shooting bench, first pellits hit the ground about 10 yards away and the last dust that was kicked up was just about past 50 yards. Made me realize that a full size Napoleon loded with grapeshot must have been devastating!

Name:	F3649DF9-83FE-402D-9F05-814EF45AA917.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	242111

Name:	6C36E191-6FF1-4762-BBF9-4FBD8CFE7D60.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	242110

Name:	D9DC5F1F-DC30-49B5-84D1-D3971ACB2A24.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	242103

Name:	0F1F0424-1382-4558-B00E-D17FF39A8E92.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	242104

Name:	ED9F2905-ACBB-44EA-8197-C889A6B841D3.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	242105

Name:	2084336A-CF10-404F-8EBA-063DF963CEB1.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	242106

Name:	E703B07B-96AA-4B60-A724-E3387F83B7C1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	242107

Name:	BA103456-2024-4808-92F3-48EE0A92D077.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	242108
    Last edited by Fisher; 05-20-2019 at 03:30 PM.

Boolit Master
    I made up some grapeshot for the 1". Wrapped tin foil around a 1" dowel, folded one end over, filled it with 00 buck - 15 or 20 if I remember.
    BOOM !
    Spread was maybe 10' at 30 yds - way bigger pattern than we thought it would be.
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    In my brief investigation on what caliber to build the gun, I found that a 1” is the largest caliber you can shoot fairly cheap if you buy steel balls at a ballbearing supplier, my lead stash is just to valueble to sacrifice for cannon fodder.... It work out about $2.80 a shot 1/2for the ball and 1/2 for the black powder (you get 17shots from a pound of FG), with smokeless it is quite cheaper to shoot as you get around 80 shots on a pound if pistol/shotgun powder.
    Would be a good use for zinc wheel weights.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master
    Fisher, actually bought it off a gent on the greybeard outdoors cannon and mortar forum. I'd have to do the math to figure out what 40mm actually is though. Imagine slugging that barrel. Probably get a good 3' maybe a little more. My lathe only has 40" between centers. And the steady rest will only do about 3" so once the bbl has been trimmed all the work has to be done by the tail stock. Was going to get a big B7 stud and cut it back to use as a breech plug that is removeable and set up somewhat like the Whitworth breech loading cannon. I had pics from the above forum but my old computer crashed and don't want to have that happen to this one. Think the 40mm barrels were rifled with a gain twist if I remember right, but if it comes to pass round balls will suffice. Frank

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast