Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything

Thread: Newbie looking for lube/powder coating advice

Boolit Mold

Newbie looking for lube/powder coating advice

Hello everyone, this is my first post but I've been occasionally lurking for a while.

One question I have I haven't managed to find a direct answer to so I thought I'd put it the best place.

I have a Colt Army Special in 41 Long Colt. This is a smokeless revolver from 1908 and I intend to use 5 grains of Unique in my load. I have the mould to cast my boolits but I'm unsure on whether lubing the grooves using the pan lubing process would be best or if powder coasting would work just as well or better?

As a side note I will not be sizing my boolits as I have been advised this is not helpful for this round and I'm also not aware of a sizer for this caliber.

I look forward to any suggestions.

Thanks.

Boolit Master
    what diameter is it? if there's a lee push through sizer that's a bit under size its not hard to lap it bigger with sandpaper wrapped around a rod on a drill. I do that for every one anyway so it ends up more round and smooth and whatever exact diameter I want. goin lubed would be more "fitting" for a gun of that age just aesthetics wise, but if a lubed bullet has the right dimensions to work it should also work pc'd or vise versa. cant really say ones better especially when its low pressure and speed anyway

Boolit Master

Pc is easy, cheap, clean and will prevent leading if things aren't just perfect in the size department, but will add a couple thousandths to the diameter, so figure out the sizing or order a custom mold (Accutate is great) about .002 under your cylinder throats. Smokes clear powder goes on white like powdered sugar, but bakes crystal clear for a traditional look.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

If your bullets drop the size you want them out of the mold then just pan lube them. Use a lube that you can push the bullets out of when it cools and you won't need a cutter.

Boolit Master

Do both methods and learn more...Learn as much as you can about both methods, you will be more versatile.

Sizing is determined by your gun, mold , chamber. If you can cast a boolit, load it, chamber it and shoot it accurately, all without sizing you are golden.

Do a search on Dip lubing, I have more experience and better luck with that.

Moderator Emeritus

Cake,
    Welcome to the forum.

You've been advised wrong about not boolit sizing for that round or any round.
    There surely are boolit size dies available for that round.

Let us know your location, maybe someone nearby can walk you through the lube/PC processes to give you some understanding of each, to better help you figure which is best for you ...and your application.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Mold
    Thank you everyone for your kind replies. I think I've learnt a lot from what everyone is saying. I think I will definitely try both methods but I'm looking to do just one ATM for budget reasons.

On the back of what everyone has said I did a bit more digging regarding the gun I have. It turns out the bore usually measures around .408 and the bullets should come out of the cast at .401. Does this mean I can powder coat without worrying about the extra diameter?

I've also learnt I will need to use soft lead so it can swell in the barrel to reach the rifling. It seems 20/1 and 40/1 lead/tin seems to be the way to go.

I've also learnt the only brass I can get (starline) is too long for my 195 boolit. So I will need to buy a case trimmer. Not sure what one will fit 41 long Colt though.

Boolit Master
    if a powder coated bullet is undersize the gasses will blow trenches down it taking the pc off. this happened when I was only 1 thousandth under, pc don't fix bullet fit. and I don't see bullet obturation helping that much gap unless it was hollow base or something.

if I was you for low budget option I would try paper patching since it can build that much missing diameter. possibly could work without even owning a sizer if you get wrapped close to the right thickness already. 2 wraps of .002 paper, cost basically 0$ just look at the stickys on paper patching. but would be best with a sizer

maybe something like 3 coats of powder coat could make the bullets that big? but ive never done anything like that so I cant say how it would go.

but I just checked and lee does make a .410 sizer which would be about right if your actually .408, if you want .409 you could lap a .401 to .409 if you have the stuff I said earlier and can slug it and measure it as your going. probably other options with sizers somewhere.

seems like the next step would be to slug and measure the throats and bore to see what size you need to get to

I have a lyman 410459 that drops right on 0.410 with WW. I think you can get a Lee push thru in 0.409 or order a NOE bushing setup, Swede makes a 0.408.

This will get you there.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...10l9lpsfmvfd96
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member