MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATF Annual inspection reveals new regulation on inlne muzzleloaders

Vendor Sponsor

ATF Annual inspection reveals new regulation on inlne muzzleloaders

Had my ATF annual FFL inspection and was giving the following rule change
    any inline muzzleloader using a primer is now classified as a firearm and will now have to have a 4473 filled out and background check
    Attachment 241690
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Buddy
    Figured that would be coming some day. now are they going to limit the magazine size for inline ML?

Boolit Master

It was in this bulletin, I had seen it discussed elsewhere but didn't pay it no mind. I haven't purchased an in-line for some time so had not seen them use a Form 4473 yet, but that does raise a question. Does it change any hunting regulations if they label it primitive weapons season vs muzzle loader season?
    https://www.atf.gov/file/83981/download
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Grand Master
    As usual, there is conflicting gibberish within the reg. Early in the page they describe an ignition system that uses a striker that moves "in line with the bore". Read that to mean a hammer (something that pivots on an axle and rotates into striking the primer) functions not covered by the reg. even though it's used to strike a modern primer. Besides, it won't be long before our historian type members chime in and demonstrate, in abundance, examples of very old in-line ML's. How hard is it to think a gun loaded from the muzzle is a muzzleloader and isn't the preferred weapon of gang-bangers & drug dealers from the south side of Chicago. Good grief.

Boolit Master

Too many government bureaucrats with too little useful work to do.

Boolit Buddy
    Guess assault M/L are next. When was the last time a M/L was used in a crime?

Vendor Sponsor

But but its for the children

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    Had my ATF annual FFL inspection and was giving the following rule change
    any inline muzzleloader using a primer is now classified as a firearm and will now have to have a 4473 filled out and background check
    Attachment 241690

I think that this is a hoax.
    Someone has brought to my attention:

1. The regulation was a discussion back in 1997.

2. The section beginning on Page 2 of this FFL newsletter where it says "Muzzle Loading Firearms" explains why it's not true.--->>> https://www.atf.gov/file/56421/download

Vendor Sponsor

It is NOT a hoax.. It was brought to my attention on my FFL inspection yesterday
    Inspector Tim Mabe... senior investigator industry operations Charlotte NC office
    he is the one that gave me the copy I scanned and posted
    until yesterday I never ran a 4473 on a muzzleloader sale as I was aware of the 2005 letter... MR Mabe said you now have to do a 4473 on all inline ML sales
    I wonder if it may come from the last lines of the 2005 reg you posted

Attachment 241709

"Persons who are otherwise prohibited from possessing firearms may purchase and possess antique firearms; however, such persons are still prohibited from possessing and receiving ammunition, including shotgun primers, as provided in sections 922(g) and (n) of the GCA respectively." bold by me

by doing a 4473 it MIGHT catch those prohibited persons .. again just a guess on my part
    I am just posting what I was told during the inspection and we all know the ATF can and will change definitions when THEY want to...

kind of like I was also told I now have to attach a coy of the form 4 (Transfer class 3 dealer to end user) to a filled out 4473 when the customer comes to pickup his approved suppressor or FA weapon
    Last edited by Smoke4320; 05-14-2019 at 05:01 PM.

It is NOT a hoax.. It was brought to my attention on my FFL inspection yesterday
    Inspector Tim Mabe... senior investigator industry operations Charlotte NC office
    he is the one that gave me the copy I scanned and posted
    until yesterday I never ran a 4473 on a muzzleloader sale as I was aware of the 2005 letter... MR Mabe said you now have to do a 4473 on all inline ML sales
    I wonder if it may come from the last lines of the 2005 reg you posted

Attachment 241709

"Persons who are otherwise prohibited from possessing firearms may purchase and possess antique firearms; however, such persons are still prohibited from possessing and receiving ammunition, including shotgun primers, as provided in sections 922(g) and (n) of the GCA respectively." bold by me

by doing a 4473 it MIGHT catch those prohibited persons .. again just a guess on my part
    I am just posting what I was told during the inspection and we all know the ATF can and will change definitions when THEY want to...

kind of like I was also told I now have to attach a coy of the form 4 (Transfer class 3 dealer to end user) to a filled out 4473 when the customer comes to pickup his approved suppressor or FA weapon

There's a problem with that rationale since you quoted a statement that said that these prohibited persons aren't prohibited from possessing antique guns.
    Did he tell you that you also needed to perform a background check and fill out a form 4473 when selling primers too?

I haven't seen this topic discussed anywhere else and I was told that Midway is still selling inlines.
    Perhaps you should make a call to his office to double check and to find out the truth.

If he's a Federal employee who lied to you while performing his duty, I would report him to his superiors.
    Last edited by arcticap; 05-14-2019 at 05:14 PM.

Boolit Master

Is a cap considered a primer?
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by arcticap View Post
    There's a problem with that rationale since you quoted a statement that said that these persons aren't prohibited from possessing antique guns.
    Did he tell you that you also needed to perform a background check and fill out a form 4473 when selling primers too?

I haven't seen this discussed anywhere else and I was told that Midway is still selling inlines.
    Perhaps you should make a call to his office to double check and to find out the truth.

If he's a Federal employee who lied to you while performing his duty, I would report him to his superiors.
    Arcticap "There's a problem with that rationale since you quoted a statement that said that these persons aren't prohibited from possessing antique guns."

per his statement and the letter . the 4473 would be for inlines that use a modern style shotgun, pistol, rifle primer
    the Midway example is no good either as I already said I knew nothing about this till my inspection. 2 days ago I would sell anyone a inline muzzleloader that uses a regular primer
    just like Midway.

in any case yes I do believe some verification is in order. Hopefully a couple other FFL's on here will contact their local office as well and see if we get competing or confirming answers. I will be calling up the ladder so to speak as time warrants
    Last edited by Smoke4320; 05-14-2019 at 05:45 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

Hickory per both the letter I was given and the 2005 letter percussion caps are not considered primers

Boolit Master

Hickory per both the letter I was given and the 2005 letter percussion caps are not considered primers
    Not yet!

We all are safer now !

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Little by little we are losing our rights.

Vendor Sponsor

I had to laugh some as well.. we stated closing on Mondays starting in January.. Had to fill out a form to report that to the ATF in December 2018. In addition my license renewed in Feburary 2019
    I reported on the renewal the new times open and closed (as also reported Dec 2018) new phone number, new cell phone number
    He shows up on Monday remember I am closed just happened to have come over to do some quick paperwork.
    at the end of the inspection he goes over all the business info WRONG hours, Wrong phone numbers and now they wanted proof I owned the property.. something about squatters opening businesses on vacant properties.. Keep in mind I have had an FFL for over 15 years.. had to produce zoning records before I could even get the FFL

Boolit Master

NO ROCKET SCIENCE NEEDED.

Gun manufactures could make and sell guns/barrels with a nipple, that could be converted to primer use.
    This is already done with cap&ball revolvers. They can be converted to shoot cartridges.

Well some of those civil war models take a bayonet which I think makes them assault rifles. I mean Gettysburg charges would certainly qualify as assaulting a position so any model of rifle used there must be an assault rifle, the bayonet lug just confirms the obvious assault rifle nature of it. Cartridge pouches are limited to 10 paper cartridges in California and New Jersey. I had also wondered how long it would take to change the treatment of these type of rifles. As they are very accurate and powerful with modern innovations I could not see them being ignored. Not that I think it will make a tinkers dam in gun violence or homicide statistics.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Banned
    Few points here:
    Antique firearm applies to federal law. The 1968 GCA and the related federal codes that flow from that act to be specific.

A person must be in compliance with BOTH federal law and the appropriate state law - Either sovereignty (state or federal) can put you in prison for violating their laws. So be careful about dealing with prohibited persons, they can sometimes possess an antique firearm under federal law but still be prohibited from possessing a firearm under state law. (For example Virginia defines a firearm as a device originally designed to propel a projectile by explosive means;... and that includes guns made way before 1898)

ATF always has the ability to define antique firearm.

As for hunting laws, with the exception of some federal laws - most hunting laws are created by individual states. So this new definition doesn't change much unless the states change their laws as well.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 05-15-2019 at 06:23 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast