Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan Reloading

Thread: Custom Ruger Super Blackhawk

Boolit Buddy

Custom Ruger Super Blackhawk

I've got a brand new Custom Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 magnum and I need some recommendations on a good Cast Boolit choice. I want something with a gas check and around 270 grains in weight. I'll go a little heavier if needed, but not lighter. What would you guys suggest?

Now thats a good lookin hunter. Betcha she shoots like a dream. What is the barrel length?

I have not cast any yet but gotta say the mold is here and I plan on loading and shooting them in my very short 444 Marlin. Oh ... mold is the Lee 300 grain round flat nose. Good lookin mold and bettin at 25 dollars, it will cast great boolits.

Cheap enough to take a chance on. Oh and it is a gas check boolit. Bettin a feller can charge it up hotter then ya wanna hang on to. I am sure gonna load em up in the 444.

I would unscrew that earschplitter first

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Humm that looks like a beast to handle another toward to my maybe someday list .how heavy is it??
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Buddy
    Matts bullets cast a 265 SWCGC that you might like. He doesn't seem to mind using an alloy that you choose. I use his bullets and they shoot great and are very consistent. I also use his .452 bullets that are 315 gr flat nose cast at 20:1 for deer hunting. [.370 meplat] I am using these with heavy charges of 296 with great results.

Boolit Grand Master
    Start with the original Elmer Keith load of his 240 grain SWC cast fairly hard and powered by a stout load of 2400 powder, then go from there.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    MP Molds makes an MP-432-640 that is available in hollow point and solids just by changing the pins. My solids drop at 270g and the HP's at 256g outta 1/2 pure lead and 1/2 ww plus 1%tin. MP also make a mold that casts a 300g boolit. Both are fine designs and cast beautifully but they are a bit pricey.

Have you ever thought of putting a set of wheels on that gun?
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Buddy
    I loaded up a standard 44 magnum load of 24 grains of Winchester 296 powder with a Remington 240 grain JHP, and after sight in, a couple of 6 shot groups averaged 3 inches at 100 yards, so the accuracy potential is definitely there!

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, but I think I am going to try one of the Lee gas checked molds first and see what happens.

The bore slugs out at .4290 so what should the cast Boolits be sized to? I have always heard conflicting ideas on bore to Boolit diameter, so I really don't know which way to go here!?!?

Not sure of the actual gun weight, as I don't have a scale to weigh it on.

As far as the muzzle brake goes, it made those 240 grain loads recoil about like a target loaded 38 special! And unlike a high powered rifle, the blast and noise level was far LESS than what my friends un-braked 7 1/2" barrel was, which was quite a pleasant surprise!

Effective barrel length is 9 3/8" and overall barrel length with the brake is 11 inches.

Trigger pull is 2 pounds 5 ounces and is the smoothest and sweetest trigger I have ever pulled on a hunting revolver! And with the oversize cylinder pin, there is no play at all in the cylinder.

Boolit Master
    Measure your cylinder throats and size your boolits to that dimension. The throats on most of my Ruger .44's are .431, so you may wanna start with that if you don't measure your throats.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Buddy
    Throats average .4312 so I just ordered a .4310 size die and if need be, I can hone and polish out the die for a more exact fit.

Next question. I am not going to be using an wheel weights at all. I have 20 pounds of linotype, 50 pounds of pure lead and 2 1/2 pounds of tin. Can I make a good cast bullet mix with what I've got, or do I need something else?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Start with the original Elmer Keith load of his 240 grain SWC cast fairly hard and powered by a stout load of 2400 powder, then go from there.

Froggie
    I'm with Froggie on this one no need to reinvent the wheel here, just get comfy with it to start.
    Thanks for sharing
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    I'd contact Veral Smith of LBT, he wrote the book on heavy hitter WFN or LFN designs with or without GC.

Boolit Buddy
    Tested so far with jacketed bullets only, this gun does NOT like 2400 powder.

I can get 240 gr. bullets anywhere and everywhere, and I do not want that weight of bullet. I would like a Boolit 270 grains or maybe a little bit heavier, but nothing lighter.

How do I get in touch with Vera Smith and what is LBT?

Boolit Grand Master

"I need some recommendations on a good Cast Boolit choice. I want something with a gas check and around 270 grains in weight".

I suggest the Lyman 429640HP Devastator. Mine, when cast of 16-1 alloy weight 275 gr fully dressed. Loaded over 23 gr H110 in W-W cases with a WLP primer they run 1486 fps out of the 8.4" Contender test barrel [1350 fps out of my Ruger FTBH 6 1/2" barrel] at a measured 30,200 psi. Should be at least that fast in Your revolver. Second choice would be a Lyman 429244 which, when cast of 16-1 alloy right at 270 gr.

Attachment 241817
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Larry Gibson,

those Boolits and loads are exactly what I am looking for! Thank you!

Now, what kind of accuracy are you getting and at what distances?

I want to be able to get out to 100-125 yards at most, and if it cannot be done with cast, I'll stick with jacketed bullets as they are doing VERY WELL!

Boolit Grand Master

"Now, what kind of accuracy are you getting and at what distances?"

Out of the Contender with 2 1/2X scope I can do this fairly regular at 50 yards. It's a 1 1/8th" group. I use the Contender for testing and that's usually at 50 yards. Just haven't shot it any further.......

Attachment 241824

Using my Ruger FTBH I can generally hold twice around the cylinder into 2" +/- at 25 yards. My eyes went south so with the factory iron I get usually 3 - 5 hits on a 8" gong at 100 yards. With enough lens to see the revolver front sight clear it's hard to make the gong out. With my Ruger Bisley 41 Mag with the Burris FF II on it I can hit the gong every time. Been thinking of a FF III for the 44 FTBH.........

Before my eyes went south I could keep 6 shots on a 6" bullet at 100 yards with the Ruger FTBH with the factory sights........so it's me, not the Ruger, not the bullet and not the load........
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 05-16-2019 at 07:37 PM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you for the information Larry, I appreciate it.