Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dillon SDB ????

I picked up a used one set up for 45 acp. several years ago for $75.00 to go along with the 550b I started with 20+ years ago Works great so all I load on it is 45's Nothing wrong with the SDB excellent press although limited to pistols only. Also picked up a used 650 last year, so I have three presses mounted to my bench.

You'll enjoy your SDB and you have a really good friend indeed!
    "Hollow Points"-"From Those Who Care Enough To Send The Very Best"

Believe me if someone gifted me one or I was able to find a used one for under $150.00 it would be on my bench. Now a 550 or 650 would be passed on to someone that would give it love as I just don't care for the 550 and the 650 is more press than I will ever need for my humble reloading but there is just something about the SDB that intrigues me.

I bought a second hand SDB 2yrs ago, paid $400 for it. It was an older model, possibly 15yrs old, but seemed to work ok. Decided to pull it apart and carry out the recommended servicing & found that a few parts were worn and had to be replaced. I bought a SDB spare parts kit and that covered most of what had to be replaced. The other parts I chased up from a Dillon supplier over in Western Aust (I'm on the east coast). So by this stage I was into the press for about $480-odd. Still better than a new one at over $600 here.

I was told it had 40S&W & 9mm dies with it, nope, 40S&W only. So had to buy a 9mm conversion kit - $155.

The press had now churned out around 2000rds of 9mm and I'm quite happy with it. It allows flexibilty if I want to feed fired cases into #1, size & remove then replace with a cleaned/prepped case in #2.
    I'm actively looking for another second hand SDB so I can set it up for my 357Mag.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

If it has the old primer system on it with the plastic guides Dillon with replace it with the upgrade btw.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Buddy
    I bought my first one over 20 years ago, in .45 ACP and all my .45 ACP ammo gets loaded on it.
    Probably had 400,000 rounds loaded on it,
    Went back to Dillon twice (probably needs it again), and I own both XL650 & Super 1050, neither one does any better job on short pistol than the SBD.

9mm isn't nearly as particular as .45 ACP, and the SBD simply does a REALLY fine job on them.

If you don't load much pistol of any kind, it's not worth changing calibers, so consider selling it for something that does rifle, if it's all there and in pretty good shape, it's worth about 75%-80% of new price.

Boolit Master
    I've got one with 2 sets of dies that I have owned for a long time. It most stays set up for 45 acp, I like it.

This thread has convinced me to load 9mm on my SDB when I get home.
    Tony

Boolit Master

Had a SDB with 9mm and .45 ACP conversions along with a 550 and a 650. I liked the SDB but it was duplicated by the 550. An opportunity came along to swap it for a Ponsness Warren 12/20 gauge press that was handy for Cowboy Action loading. Had that not happened it would still be on my bench. I do like being able to crimp separately from seating on the bigger presses.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Banned

used to have 5 of them. Lost them in a fire. Ill say this. If all I was ever going to load was 45acps it would be THE press id want on the bench. Actually switching calibers is not big deal on them. Takes maybe 5 more minutes that switching a 550 or any other progressive. Dies cost a bit more. but they will flat out MAKE SOME ammo. I keep threatening to get one in 9mm because I load for 9s about every week.

I do like being able to crimp separately from seating on the bigger presses.
    Not sure I understand this, the SD seats in #3 and crimps in #4 and because they use proprietary dies you couldn’t even buy dies that would allow you to seat and crimp at the same station.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    Not sure I understand this, the SD seats in #3 and crimps in #4 and because they use proprietary dies you couldn’t even buy dies that would allow you to seat and crimp at the same station.
    That is correct. The "Dies" are separate inserts that fit into the station holes in the top of the press. A separate tool head caps the top and contains the decap assembly (station 1), the powder thrower die (station 2), seating stem (station 3) and adjustment for crimp (station 4).
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    What the SBD brings to the table is no bullet feeder...
    I know this sounds counter productive

Guys with bullet feeders know the shorter & wider the bullet is, the harder it is to get it to feed nose up.
    A flipped bullet is a PITA!

For me, .45 bullets are easy to handle (fat fingers) so loading short/fat .45 is pretty fast for me, while light, round nose .45 causes the most issues in the bullet feeders.

Make no mistake, the 650 will WAY out run the SBD in production, but the SBD has about zero quality culls, and having MY TIME to watch the process also seems to produce better ammo quality.

IMO it's my favorite press of all currently available. loaded over 100K on mine before I gave it away to a friend. (got a screaming deal on a 650) and sometimes I wish I hadn't given it away.

I think it's probably the easiest progressive press to learn.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    I guess that shows how little effort it took to load on it. I swapped it off several years ago and didn’t even remember that it crimped separately. It didn’t get the use that the 550 did.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by anothernewb View Post
    IMO it's my favorite press of all currently available. loaded over 100K on mine before I gave it away to a friend. (got a screaming deal on a 650) and sometimes I wish I hadn't given it away.

I think it's probably the easiest progressive press to learn.
    Wish I had friends that gave me Dillon presses!

Banned

yup anyone one here can feel free to be my friend!
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
    Wish I had friends that gave me Dillon presses!

I can’t give away any of my SD’s but my ideas are free.

How about a case feeder for the SD?

Boolit Master
    Jmorris, your ideas are not only free, they're great! Problem is, not many of us can translate the great idea into a functional piece of equipment like you can.

Boolit Man
    I picked up two used ones for $300. One is dedicated .45acp and the other goes between 9mm and 40S&W. They crank out good ammo like there's no tomorrow.

Banned
    If you have large hands or arthritis you will not be happy because of the limited space. Having said that I owned one for years and it worked fine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast