Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dillon SDB ????

Boolit Grand Master

Dillon SDB ????

Friend gave me a Dillon SDB in 45acp.
    Never could afford one, so never loaded with one.
    I know the dies are not the same as regular dies.
    It's an auto progressive.
    Don't really load much pistol.
    So how are these presses?????

Boolit Bub
    sdb are excellent presses. that two years go.

Boolit Master
    I've loaded on a SDB for something like 25 years. About 230,000 rounds of pistol (it doesn't load rifle rounds). I've heard that some feel it's hard to use with large hands, but that isn't a problem for me. With preloaded primer tubes I comfortably produce 300 to something over 500 rounds an hour, depending on how exacting I want to be, and which provides me with reliable ammo with good accuracy for what I want it for (action pistol).

The dies, as you seem to know, are proprietary, but aren't expensive.

I bought one new in 2007. Works well.

I own two. Dosen't get any better.

I have had two for over 30 years, still going strong. Dillon has made them like new a couple times over the years, all it cost me was shipping to them.

They will also send you any parts you might need for free.

Don’t really load much pistol.
    Unfortunately, it won’t me of much use to you.
    Last edited by jmorris; 05-15-2019 at 08:00 AM.

Boolit Master
    I have one set up for 38 spcl. Very reliable. Dillon sent plastic priming parts when needed. No charge.

A for what it's worth opinion.

When the discussion or progressive presses comes up everyone right way jumps to the big Dillons, Hornady and lastly the LoadMaster. Which is fine as they are great presses and do a lot of work. Buy we skip over the Dillon SDB and the Lee Pro1000. It is my belief that these two presses are forgotten and do not get the credit they deserve. Not everyone needs a 5 station progressive press.

I also think I am in the minority that places these two presses in the same category. They are both about the same size, both primarily built as a pistol loading press and even though the Dillon has a 4th station it really is just as 3 die set up as the 4th station just drops powder. Both can crank out incredible amounts of ammo in a short period of time.

When I started back into reloading a few years ago I knew 2 things. One was that once again I would only be reloading pistols and the Second thing was I knew I didn't want to do it again on a single stage press. The SDB and the Pro1000 are the 2 primary presses I looked at and stated watch for a used one. I finally went with the Lee just because of the dies. Now if I was going to set up a press for just one caliber that wouldn't have been an issue but as it is now I have dies and shell plates for my Pro1000 for; 38/357, 9mm, 40S&W, 380 and 45acp, and I actually have and use a second set of 9mm dies.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    A for what it's worth opinion.

When the discussion or progressive presses comes up everyone right way jumps to the big Dillons, Hornady and lastly the LoadMaster. Which is fine as they are great presses and do a lot of work. Buy we skip over the Dillon SDB and the Lee Pro1000. It is my belief that these two presses are forgotten and do not get the credit they deserve. Not everyone needs a 5 station progressive press.

I also think I am in the minority that places these two presses in the same category. They are both about the same size, both primarily built as a pistol loading press and even though the Dillon has a 4th station it really is just as 3 die set up as the 4th station just drops powder. Both can crank out incredible amounts of ammo in a short period of time.

When I started back into reloading a few years ago I knew 2 things. One was that once again I would only be reloading pistols and the Second thing was I knew I didn't want to do it again on a single stage press. The SDB and the Pro1000 are the 2 primary presses I looked at and stated watch for a used one. I finally went with the Lee just because of the dies. Now if I was going to set up a press for just one caliber that wouldn't have been an issue but as it is now I have dies and shell plates for my Pro1000 for; 38/357, 9mm, 40S&W, 380 and 45acp, and I actually have and use a second set of 9mm dies.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have owned two and they are good machines but I preferred having a case feeder so sold them when I could afford to upgrade. Bought both of them used and never had a problem with them that I could not solve easily. Never did die or primer size changes on them so once dialed in they just ran.

You will enjoy using it.
    Don Verna

I have two of them, set up in 9mm and 45 ACP. They are great presses, but most of my loading is still done on a Rockchucker. Loading on the single stage is relaxing; the progressives require concentration. I am retired and shoot so I can reload, so the time isn't a major factor for me. Still, the two SBDs are not headed down the road anytime soon.
    Tony

Boolit Master

I guess I've had mine nearly 30 years now and, even though I've got a .45ACP conversion, it's stayed set up for .38/.357 for the last 20. Dunno how many rounds of .38 Spl it's loaded (I bought it from a guy who was 'upgrading') but it still works as good as the day I brought it home. Never had to pay for a single replacement part, either...just called Dillon, explained the issue, and waited for the package to appear in my mailbox.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

l bought my first used in late 90's have bought a few new and more then a few used , have rebuilt a couple as parts were worn or on one frame was broken , dillon replaced it with a new frame , and have sent free parts on several occasions , other times I have ordered upgraded parts and conversions , they are a excellent press for pistol caliber .

I had a lee pro 1000 , had it set up with case feeder and bullet feeder and when it was fine tuned and running it was great , but it would hit a snag or misfeed and it was tune it in again , the sdb has some quirks to mostly in the primer feeding , though the original one in 45acp has a quirk in station 1 the sizing die have to use a little finger pressure to line some cases up , the later presses have a set screw at station 4 which adjusts shellplate (or so I was told by dillon tech.) and they said send it in for fix , station 2 is the primer seating belling case and powder drop , station 4 is crimping .

I have bought a few and gave them to son and son in law and am set up with only 1 that I switch calibers on that is the 38 special and 357 magnum as its 4 bolts off 4 bolts on , should do it for 45acp and 45 gap but acp is large primer gap is small primer .

You will like it if you shoot a lot or like to load a lot , buy a new caliber pistol buy another sdb or conversion , am loading 38special 357 mag. 45gap 45acp 38 super 40 s&w 9mm , son has his in 9mm son in law has 9mm 40 s&w conversion and 45 acp so 9 presses and 5 conversion sets .Yes we like the square deal b .

I also think I am in the minority that places these two presses in the same category. They are both about the same size, both primarily built as a pistol loading press and even though the Dillon has a 4th station it really is just as 3 die set up as the 4th station just drops powder.
    The SD is
    #1 deprime/size
    #2 prime, expand/flare and powder charge
    #3 bullet seat
    #4 bullet crimp

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    The SD is
    #1 deprime/size
    #2 prime, expand/flare and powder charge
    #3 bullet seat
    #4 bullet crimp
    I stand corrected.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    Friend gave me a Dillon SDB in 45acp.
    Never could afford one, so never loaded with one.
    I know the dies are not the same as regular dies.
    It's an auto progressive.
    Don't really load much pistol.
    So how are these presses?????
    You pick your friends well nice gift.
    Enjoy , what I hear they are a great press.
    Last edited by onelight; 05-14-2019 at 09:08 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I've had my SDB for 30 years also. I've loaded thousands upon thousands of 9mm, 38 SPL, 357 Magnum, 41 magnum, 44 SPL, 44 Magnum, 45 ACP and 45 Colt on mine with nary a catch. Mount it on a solid bench so there is no flex or bounce to it during operation. I also have a 550B and use the SDB more often when loading a gob of pistol cartridges.

Good friend you have.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

I too had a SDB given to me about 15 years ago, still have it. It is a great press. Use it for 45 ACP, 38 Special and 45 Colt. Used to do 44 Mag also.

I have a RL550b for 30-06 and 30 carbine. I'll continue to load the pistol stuff on the SDB.

All the other stuff I'll keep using the Rockchucker or the T-mag.

They all have their place and I wouldn't be with out the SDB.
    Last edited by 15meter; 05-15-2019 at 10:22 PM.

I bought a SDB as my first press. I bought a lever rifle in .30-30 and decided to trade it in on a 550. Six months later my trade in was still there. I shot him a price and my LGS took it. I bought the same press twice and I'm still $19.00 under MSRP!!!! They are great little presses. They do straight walled pistol ammo like a "champ. Another plus is that the warranty is still good for you. Set it up and have FUN!!!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181229_160312620.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	241760
    Last edited by hotshot357; 05-15-2019 at 03:10 PM.

Boolit Master

another happy SDB user. Actually mine was a SD when I got it. Dillon sent upgrade parts to get it to SDB

I do have a tube that runs to a bucket for primers now as well as a replacement clamp for the powder measure--it's spring-loaded so you don't have to screw/unscrew the clamp every time you remove the measure.

still like the original powder measure set-up with the two springs vs. the new one that has a bellcrank and such.

extra tool heads mean I don't have to readjust dies switching from caliber to caliber.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast