Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 44 Magnum 1894 Marlin loads?

Boolit Grand Master

The SAAMI spec for rifles is 0.431" where for handguns it is 0.429". Who knows why? Makes no sense to me and both call for 0.432" lead bullet... go figure!

https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads...sting-Copy.pdf

Now, why the 1:38" twist? I have to think it is historical for .44-40 and other similar .44 cartridges so call it "tradition", maybe? Why not faster twist to allow use of heavier boolits with no detriment to lighter boolits? Who knows?

That's an even bigger question with 444 Marlin which had no predecessor and was touted as a "modern .45-70" type cartridge. Nothing wrong with 444 except they decided to use the same bore specs and twist so generally limiting a fine cartridge to relatively light boolits. 444 should easily handle a 400 gr. or better boolit but nope! Not with 1:38" twist. I suspect that if the 444 had been designed with faster twist for heavy boolits, .45-70 wouldn't have made such a come back.

But I digress, except the same argument holds on bore diameter and twist for .44 mag. and 444. Makes no sense to me. Groove diameter should be the same as for handgun. Rifling twist well... faster would be better I think. However, I just limit my boolit weight to about 270 grs. and that seems to work well enough in my 1894.

Longbow

Boolit Master

The first question to answer is what type of rifling? Microgroove or Ballard.
    For a slug you can drill the primer pocket out of a fired piece of .44 mag brass. Pour the case about half full,of soft lead. When solid drive the slug out using the enlarged primer hole. Oil the bore and drive it through.
    The nominal bore for a .44 mag. rifle is .431 not .429 for a pistol. Many have claimed that the roll marking on the outside of the barrel causes a restriction to the inside diameter. Watch for that as you slug the barrel.
    My rifle will shoot an extremely hard cast bullet of .430". (Commercially cast). My rifle will keyhole a .430 bullet of my softer alloy. A jacketed bullet is fine also. My bore was .4315 with microgroove.
    I used Unique and 2400 with 240 grain cast. To get my cast bullets up to size I needed to powdercoat. The mold dropped the bullets at .430. The mold is a Lee 2 cavity.
    For noise and effect I would go with a slower rifle powder. Ww296 may work but it is to be loaded at max. loads only.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12