Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tools for Prep Work on cases.

Question Tools for Prep Work on cases.

Hi, Originally I posted in Town Forum as follows.

Which Forum to post
    Hi. I need to find which forum would be appropriate to ask or (some) questions on tools for prepping brass (Lyman Prep Center), That would be more durable (not wearing out or dulling).

Then some questions on a tool to work on the primer pockets that are to tight (such as S&B brass etc.). Preferably that would work on the (Lyman Prep Center).
    I need them threaded to fit the Lyman Prep Center. Mainly it's because it is faster & easier (for me) & it doesn't hurt my hands or wrist vs.
    by hand.
    As to the issue with the primer pocket being too tight in (such as S&B brass etc.). I am open to any/ all suggestions to fix the problem(s).

TYVM in advance,

SharuLady

Boolit Grand Master

Lyman makes a primer pocket uniformer that I use for exactly that purpose. Mine fits in my power screwdriver, I'm sure they make one that fits the Prep Center. This is different from the Primer Pocket cleaner, I have both. All of my S&B pickup brass gets this prep automatically.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Lyman makes a primer pocket uniformer that I use for exactly that purpose. Mine fits in my power screwdriver, I'm sure they make one that fits the Prep Center. This is different from the Primer Pocket cleaner, I have both. All of my S&B pickup brass gets this prep automatically.
    TY for your reply.
    I have a sm. & lg. primer pocket uniformer for the Lyman Prep Center, and yes they do work well normally but.... it may just be that my sm. uniformer is not doing its job & has either become to worn out or has lost the sharpness. I don't even know if it can be re-sharpened & if so, I have no idea as to how to do it. I have done all my brass prep on all the brass pistol & rifle but.....(the amount I have done is like 15.5 K)

Although, Lyman does have available replacement Sm. & Lg. uniformer's one can purchase.

SharuLady

Super Moderator

It sounds like the bits might be just worn out. I think I'd order some new ones. I use the Dillon 600 swaging tool to do all mine. Those S&B primer pockets ARE tight, and one pass through the 600 does the trick on them.

TY for your reply.

The more I think about it, the more I think the pocket uniformers are dull and probably worn out.

So will order new ones from Lyman and also check out the swager from Dillon & RCBS.

SharuLady

Banned
    Before you buy anything, look at the Lyman 7777800 Case Prep Multi Tool
    https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-7777800...s%2C198&sr=8-1

The threaded attachments work in my RCBS Trim Mate and work in the Lyman Prep Center.

Question: will the various adapters also fit in the Lyman motorized Case EXpress?
    Answer: Yes they are 8/32 great tool good deal

You get 6 attachments
    Tools Included: inside and outside deburring tools, large and small primer pocket cleaners, and large and small primer pocket reamers
    And a nifty case/handle for 26.99 shipped

Hi, TY for your reply.

OK Conditor22, will also check this out as well.

SharuLady

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    Before you buy anything, look at the Lyman 7777800 Case Prep Multi Tool
    https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-7777800...s%2C198&sr=8-1

The threaded attachments work in my RCBS Trim Mate and work in the Lyman Prep Center.

Question: will the various adapters also fit in the Lyman motorized Case EXpress?
    Answer: Yes they are 8/32 great tool good deal

You get 6 attachments
    Tools Included: inside and outside deburring tools, large and small primer pocket cleaners, and large and small primer pocket reamers
    And a nifty case/handle for 26.99 shipped
    large and small primer pocket reamers are not the same as primer pocket uniformers! They ream out a crimp. They do not make the entire pocket the correct size.

Quote Originally Posted by BrassMagnet View Post
    large and small primer pocket reamers are not the same as primer pocket uniformers! They ream out a crimp. They do not make the entire pocket the correct size.
    Ty for your reply BrassMagnet,
    Yes I am aware of this. But since I am also going to need to get the Lg. & Sm. reamers & the pocket cleaners as well since those I have are showing a lot wear also, I probably need to replace them all as well.

SharuLady

Boolit Master
    RCBS makes a press mounted primer pocket swager that I use pretty successfully. It comes with plugs that work in both small and large primer pockets. I think they are around 30 or 40 bucks.

Ty for your reply sigep,

RCBS was one of many places that I will be checking out. Hope to find something that will work for me comfortably.

SharuLady

Boolit Master
    I originally bought the Lyman large and small primer pocket uniformers years ago, and was very disappointed at how quickly they wore out. I replaced them with the carbide uniformers from Sinclair, and run them in a cordless drill. They should last for the rest of my life, as a minimum. I have been disappointed with much of the Lyman accessories that I have purchased, come to think of it. Maybe I've just become a tool snob, I don't know.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    I originally bought the Lyman large and small primer pocket uniformers years ago, and was very disappointed at how quickly they wore out. I replaced them with the carbide uniformers from Sinclair, and run them in a cordless drill. They should last for the rest of my life, as a minimum. I have been disappointed with much of the Lyman accessories that I have purchased, come to think of it. Maybe I've just become a tool snob, I don't know.
    No not a tool snob. Just expect good quailty tools that last a while.
    Not something i have seen in any lyman tool lately. Believe they have bit the cheapest supplier bug
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    I have used the RCBS press mounted primer pocket swagger for 30 years and never seen a need for any thing else.

Banned

For primer pocket swaging I use the CH4D press mounted swager.
    The Frankford Arsenal brass prep unit is real good

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    RCBS makes a press mounted primer pocket swager that I use pretty successfully. It comes with plugs that work in both small and large primer pockets. I think they are around 30 or 40 bucks.
    The RCBS tool does work, but it is so slow! Spend the money for a Dillon Super Swage 600. It is fast and easy!

Boolit Grand Master

I'm another that was disappointed in the life of the Lee, Lyman and RCBS tools. One would think that a hardened steel tool would last longer when cutting something as soft as brass.

Nowadays, my case prep tools are a mix of stuff from Sinclair and Wilson. More expensive than the others but they work well and last. But they are not made to work in the Lyman tool. I use mine in a cordless drill but a cordless screwdriver works well.

Crimped primers? Well, lets just say that they can be a pain. They are not all created equal and I have not found a single tool that works perfectly on all of them. The true Nato marked military cases like LC, WCC, WRA, ect seem to have more consistent crimps and are easier to deal with. Some of the lesser known head stamps or the ones with stab type crimps are harder to get right. I may be the only guy on here that didn't care for the Dillon tool. I use a combo of an RCBC press mounted tool and a Wilson reamer.

Ty for your reply nicholst,

I originally bought the Lyman large and small primer pocket uniformers years ago, and was very disappointed at how quickly they wore out. I replaced them with the carbide uniformers from Sinclair, and run them in a cordless drill.
    I understand your sentiments of products that don't seem to last and I have to agree about Lyman items & Lee items, as to other company's products I don't have them or tried them. But as to the Lyman Prep Center itself, It has lasted & continues to keep chugging along. I don't think that you are a tool snob!

SharuLady

I use a RCBS press mounted tool on all of the crimped primers pockets, but all of my brass gets a Sinclair Primer Pocket Uniformer in the pocket prior to each reload. This is a very easy to get the entire primer pocket shiny prior to reloading. I put the uniformer in a 3/8", variable speed, corded drill and lock the trigger so that the drill runs constantly at the speed I want. You can go through the brass pretty fast that way. I have done many 1k's of brass this way and am still using my original uniformer. Just remember that you have to get all three sizes of cutters. I have never been able to get a primer pocket clean with a primer pocket cleaner.
    "Nothing is more uncommon than common sense." Benjamin Franklin

TY for your reply Smoke,

Like you I also prefer good quality tools that last a while.

SharuLady

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast