Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which bullet sizer? LAM2, 450 or 4500?

Boolit Buddy

Which bullet sizer? LAM2, 450 or 4500?

Which of these lubri-sizers would be the preferred choice, and why? Looking for all the pros and cons from you guys who have used them. I wasn't sure whether or not there is a difference (other than color, of course) between the orange and gray Lyman 450. My tendency is to use more RCBS equipment than any other but I'm not adverse to using Lyman and others if they are superior.
    Not looking for more expensive options such as a Star, so please keep the choices to the following:

RCBS LAM
    RCBS LAM 2
    Lyman 450 (dark Gray)
    Lyman 450 (orange)
    Lyman 4500

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LeadHead72 View Post
    Which of these lubri-sizers would be the preferred choice, and why? Looking for all the pros and cons from you guys who have used them. I wasn't sure whether or not there is a difference (other than color, of course) between the orange and gray Lyman 450. My tendency is to use more RCBS equipment than any other but I'm not adverse to using Lyman and others if they are superior.
    Not looking for more expensive options such as a Star, so please keep the choices to the following:

RCBS LAM
    RCBS LAM 2
    Lyman 450 (dark Gray)
    Lyman 450 (orange)
    Lyman 4500
    I have been interested in the same answers the past few weeks, and still I am searching. I do think the newest versions oh both are the best choice, but green or gray? Lyman is cheaper, even with the heater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Can speak to the other options but the 4500 isn’t a bad unit and provides good torque (upgraded from a 45 which was underpowered). Lots of used ones out there you can get on the cheap.

I know your not looking this route but I had the same debate several years ago and ended up getting the 4500. Recently upgraded to a repaired vintage Star sizer and can’t imagine going back so my recommendation is to save a little longer and get the nicer equipment. Magma will even repair old broken ones if you can find one (repaired a 1940s vintage broken one I had for $70 round trip)

Boolit Master
    Don't forget to look at the Redding/SAECO Lubri-Sizer. I enjoy using mine/

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...and-lubricator

Boolit Master
    I have eight Lyman lube sizers.A mix of 45's,450's,and 4500's.The only difference between gray and orange Lyman's is the paint color.The Lyman's work fine for me.I have never used the RCBS lube sizer but they should have typical RCBS quality.Between Lyman and RCBS lube sizers just pick the brand you prefer.I prefer the Lyman because I've been using them without any problems since the late 50's.

Boolit Master

I have 2 gray 450's and 1 star. The 450's have served me well, both are heated and 1 has had the handle upgrade. I do like having the upgraded handle, I wish it was the ball handle. If you are in a hurry, the Lyman and RCBS sizers are not the fastest. They both have great assortments of dies and top punches, but the need for various top punches will lead to an expense that must be considered. There are options for custom top punches as well and should be considered. I did once own an RCBS, did not like it... I always had problems with the linkage from the handle to the thing on the bottom that pushes the bullet out.

I do not mind the speed loss for many things I cast, but if you want to go fast, do a couple thousand of one bullet or PC... the Star is the fastest out there. With the NOE Star insert and body dies the Star is hands down the fastest for working with PC bullets. Having to only touch the bullet one time is worth a lot to me in some situations.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, guys, I appreciate the input.

Boolit Buddy
    How robust/reliable is the little heater that the newer Lyman 4500 uses? The cylinder-shaped one.

Boolit Master

I have a couple of old Lachmiller's, same as new RCBS LAM, and like them. I had a 4500, but sold it on eBay, as I liked the Lachmiller's better. Oh, and I also have a Star. I use it for PB pistol boolits, and the Lach's for rifle and any GC Boolits. My recommendation is for you to check eBay for Lach's, or newer LAM's, and get a Star when you can afford it.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo View Post
    I have a couple of old Lachmiller's, same as new RCBS LAM, and like them. I had a 4500, but sold it on eBay, as I liked the Lachmiller's better.
    Can you explain what you liked about the Lachmiller over the Lyman?

Boolit Master
    I have both a gray 450 and a LAM2. The 450 is the one that stays bolted onto the bench because it is much easier to use the ratchet wrench to apply lube that the sliding rod that RCBS uses. I will admit that I replaced the bicycle grip originally on the 450 with a 2-1/2 inch ball from Hobby Lobby and it is easier on my hand than the old bicycle grip.

If you get a 450 remember that the nut that holds the die in has very fine threads on it. Clean out those threads every time you take the nut out and avoid cross threading it when you put it back in. Mine has a witness mark on the top to tell me when the threads are about to engage.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Boolit Master

Lyman 4500 can buy with heater for cheap compared to buying one and getting a Heater later.

Both LYMAN & RCBS make heaters that bolt on underneath. Lyman Will fit LYMAN 450, RCBS LAM I and SAECO. Don't know what the new RCBS will fit.

Being able to get your lube flowing by heating it up and then unplugging the unit makes it a great deal easier too lube/size your bullets.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    The heater cartridge for the 4500 seems to stand up to use well.I've had one in service for a couple of years.You can make your own using heater cartridges from McMaster Carr.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by KenT7021 View Post
    The heater cartridge for the 4500 seems to stand up to use well.I've had one in service for a couple of years.You can make your own using heater cartridges from McMaster Carr.
    Sounds good.

Boolit Master

I would add the Lyman 45 to that list of options. I like them better than the 450 or the 4500. Any of them will do a good job for you.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

I've had the Lyman 450 (grey) for about 35 years. I've never used anything else. It's still chugging along happily. From reading the above posts and never using a Star, I suppose only handling the bullet once is a definite plus and would speed the operation up quite a bit for someone on a time limit. I'm not in the hobby for speed. I want to produce quality bullets and my Lyman does that for me.

Boolit Grand Master

Among the models listed there is probably not a wrong answer. They all work. The handle and linkage look to be stronger on the RCBS than on the Lyman 450. This is usually not an issue but if you are sizing hard bullets or sizing a bullet several thousands down you can get some flex in the Lyman handle. Also, RCBS has legendary customer service.

Heaters? I have one marketed by Midway with a thermostat that I like. Some heaters don't have thermostats although a dimmer switch can be wired to control them.

I have a Star nowadays thats much faster but I still use my Lyman for bullets with gas checks.

Boolit Master
    RCBS and Lyman sizing dies are interchangeable,Saeco uses propriety dies and are not interchangeable with Lyman/RCBS. I've had both Lyman and RCBS I like the RCBS if something breaks or fails RCBS will replace or fix it no questions asked Lyman you're on your own.

I have been using a grey 450 for 45 years with no problems. I recently added an orange 450 only because I got it for ten bucks. I can now use the grey with a heater for harder lube and the orange with NRA 50/50 for handguns.

I’ve had an orange 450 forever and recently lucked into a free grey 450. Only other difference was the handle style. I liked the older split flat steel handle and converted the solid bar to a split one I found on fleabay. Never used any other unless you count the old lee cookie cutter lube rigmarole.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast