WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Roller ID

Roller ID

I just got an original Remington Rolling Block that has been rebarreled with a Numrich 45-70 buffalo barrel. I知 trying to figure out as much info on I can. For example: is it a #1 or a #5 etc. the only markings on it are 2 5 which is on the side of tang under the stock. The top of the tang reads: Remington Arms Co.
    ILION N. Y. USA
    Patented octr. 22nd 1801
    I wanna reload for it so I値l take any advice from you roller owners on which data I need to stick with. I never can seem to load pictures on this site so my info is limited I知 afraid.
    Burch
    buzzard`s gotta eat, same as the worms
    Josey Wales

Boolit Master

I believe you mean 1901 which would probably make it a #5 which was used for the 7MM Mauser round, a smokeless round. In either case BP would be appropriate and safe.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

With the late patent date I'd agree it's a #5 action. Probably the best of the Rolling Block actions. It can handle smokeless loads just fine, as long as the loads are kept to moderate levels. No Ruger #1 level loads, or other modern high pressure loads.

Boolit Master
    look at the extractor. does it rotate with the breach block if yes it is a number 5 it it slides back then it is the early action.

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    look at the extractor. does it rotate with the breach block if yes it is a number 5 it it slides back then it is the early action.
    Rotary extractors began before the #5 smokeless action arrived. So a rotary extractor doesn't always mean it's a #5. BP actions are mainly sliding extractors, but later they became rotary.

So what load data levels should I limit to. I do have quite a few load manuals for cast bullets.
    Josey Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    I believe you mean 1901 which would probably make it a #5 which was used for the 7MM Mauser round, a smokeless round. In either case BP would be appropriate and safe.

Bob
    ok 1901. It’s kinda hard to read. lol
    Josey Wales

The 405 rnfp seems to be the bullet of choice but I’m open to suggestions. I know one of bullet manufacturers cast bullets from molds you can get but can’t remember for the life of me who it was. My casting measured at .458 so what size bullet should I get. I’m mainly interested in target shooting. This thing is way too heavy to carry all day.
    Josey Wales

Boolit Master

The #5 is good up to about 45,000 psi. The 7X57 is loaded to about 49,000 which has caused some problems in a few of the #5s. Just about any of the black powder rounds will be fine in a #5 with the exception of large rims like the 50-70 or long strait cases like the 45-110. The rim on some of the bigger cases will hit the breach block and or hammer when loading or unloading. The #5 actions have a larger barrel thread diameter than the older BP rifles. I have seen a few #5s with the sliding extractor but most have the rotary which is also a spring to allow it to go over the rim of a rimless cartridge like the 7X57. The rolling block is one of my favorites and I have several in the works at this time. I still find variations that I have not seen before, ran into one a while back with larger block and hammer pins and they appeared to be original.

I wish I could figure out how to resize and add pictures but I’ll have to post that in the proper place and find out.
    Josey Wales

Although the #5 is good to extremely high pressures, I still keep my loads down around 30,000 psi or less. The 405 is an excellent all around weight, but depending on twist rate your barrel/gun might work well with a lighter or heavier bullet.
    I don't know what the twist rate was for those Numrich barrels, but I'd check it before investing in any bullets. The .458" groove would be best with a .459" bullet.

Boolit Master

Some of the Numrich barrel had a small groove diameter, mine was .455". It did shoot very well with .458 bullets but I had to get a chamber reamer with a small pilot.

With a 1:18 twist what weight bullet would you recommend
    Josey Wales

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by burch View Post
    With a 1:18 twist what weight bullet would you recommend
    500gr plus. Lyman Postel is hard to beat at 535gr an off the shelf mold.

Bob

Is the Postel bullet for bp or smokless
    Josey Wales

Boolit Master

It should work with either. I have used it out to 1200yd with BP. There are other high dollar molds but for off the shelf at a reasonable price the Postel performs admirably and is easy to find.

Bob

Boolit Master
    I agree, for over 200 yds. you need a 500 plus grain somewhat ptd. bullet and a can of real BP.

I’m in the process of making my drop tube and have ordered my 535 gr. Pastell bullet from Montana bullet works. I have plenty of Goex FFF but from everything I’ve been reading it looks like I need FF and some .060 Polly wads. I have Rem. Starline and PMC brass to work with and I’ve ordered my reduced trigger spring. It’s all down hill now.
    Josey Wales

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    the only markings on it are 2 5 which is on the side of tang under the stock.
    These are action 'batch numbers' and have no reference to a specific model
    Here's a good diagram of the model 5 ... http://www.rollingblockparts.com/no-5.html to compare to the Model 1 ... http://www.rollingblockparts.com/no-1.html
    And PS .... the Model 5 was chambered for the 7mm Mauser, not the 45-70 Govt caliber
    Regards
    John