Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turkish/German 98 Mauser

Banned

The rail on the left side of the receiver with the cutout is thicker than all other actions. It sits into the receiver farther to the center of the bore. You have to use a spacer on the jig that is relieved to let the jig center better on the action. You grind out the spacer till the jig is square to the raceway.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the info Tommy Boy.
    That explains why my Turks that I Drilled and Tapped were centered and so many others that I have seen were not aligned properly.
    The reason being, I don't use a Jig to align and drill my receivers , even though I have one somewhere made by Wheeler that someone gave me in a Horse trading deal.

Lags, I use the Wheeler jig but I had to modify it to work with some barreled actions. It works very well. I have used it on small and large ring Mausers and a Jap 38.

Boolit Grand Master

I've still got my KKale Turk 98 bought years ago and never shot much until adding a BAD ACE scout mount and a 2x7 scope. It was a re- arsenal I bought and took several days of sunshine to sweat the cosmoline out of the wood, mineral spirits on the metal. To this very day if it sets in the sun at the range the stock will still get the smell and greasy feel of cosmoline sweating out, they must hot soak it in the wood!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turk.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	241934

edit; my wife thinks it's her rifle!!!!!!!!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Buddy
    Hi,not to hijack the OP.
    I have two Turks stamped Ankara 1937 ,1938.I wonder what their story is ?Cheers ,Gerry.

I got a Turk at a gun show for $60. Guy had a table of them and I picked out one that I felt was the most mechanically sound and had the best bore. Black bore as one sees from some milsurps but it shoots well. Stock was unsalvageable. I did sporterized it later using a large ring Mauser stock that it pretty much fit right into. Can't think of the name now but bought one of those screw on bolts to replace the straight bolt. It is D&T for a scope and has taken deer. I did shorten the barrel also. Its been a good rifle.

DEP

Boolit Master

I bought a Mauser 98/22 made by BRNO during the 20's in 7.92x57. I had a thousand 30-06 cases in a 5 gallon bucket that I had bought for my Garand and I took out 250 and cut them down to 57 MM length and reformed them with 8x57 dies.

Loaded with Unique at 10 gr and with a 311284 boolit I got velocity at about 1350 and decent accuracy. However that stock had to go and the darned thing was just to long to lug around. I had a local gunny replace the barrel with a Douglas Match grade barrel in 6.5x55MM. He also trued up the bolt, changed it out to a turn down, added a Timney trigger, reblued it beautifully and put it into a laminated thumb hole stock. It turned out to be a great shooter of cast as well as a one MOA accuracy rifle with 140 gr condom boolits. The cast accuracy is what I am still working on.

The dog is an attack trained Chihuahua who thinks he is a Rotweiller. It is all about attitude. Sgt. Rambo is his name and he thinks I am here to serve him.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0052-1.JPG   IMG_0053-1.jpg   IMG_0054.jpg   IMG_0165.JPG  
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master
    During the mid-90s you could pick them up a gunshows for around $60. That was in the post-AWB but pre-NICS days of the handgun waiting period where the only thing you could buy from an FFL at a show and take it home that day was a long gun. I ended up with a couple. One is an ASFA Ankara that I mounted a Williams receiver sight on. It shoots cast well enough to keep them all in the black at 100 yards even with my poor shooting and wearing glasses. It has one of the better military triggers I have handled.

I picked up a bargain bin laminated stock (LH shooter, RH action) from Richards for it. It’s a little nicer than the big ol’ club of a military stock. I would gladly have paid $100 for one, even if only as a donor action for a project gun.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I bought several on my 03 C&R license, $39 each. All had good bores. When the Turks contracted with the Germans to make the Mausers, they stipulated that any improvements developed for Mausers should be used on any rifles delivered. So, although outer finish may leave something to be desired, you kind of get the cream of the crop of Mausers. I still prefer the Czech VZ24, but they cost quite a bit more.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    bought a dozen vz24's many years ago and wish I had bought the whole pile!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12