Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading EverythingPBcastcoTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Hard to get friends to help you to move when you cast bullets

Boolit Bub

Hard to get friends to help you to move when you cast bullets

I thought this would be a lot more interesting than just writing "HEAVY". We'll see if this 100# box of linotype arrives at the new place.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dabloons.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	241617

Boolit Grand Master

Interesting! And funny!

I've moved my lead stash a few times. It ain't fun! The first time I moved I was young and strong enough that I loaded the 5 gallon buckets into my truck by hand. The next time I used a 2 wheel dolly to get the 5 gallon buckets onto a "Tommy Lift" on the back of the truck. The last time I used the same dolly to get the buckets into the loader on my tractor. Live better through hydraulics!

Somewhere along the way I discovered that 5 gallon buckets deteriorate over time and I moved my ingots to milk crates. They store great but at 700# each they will be a bear to move! I will have to "divide and concur" if I ever move again!

Boolit Master
    Aint that the truth, i lost alot of buddies when i sold my pickup truck.

In order to avoid moving well over a TON of wheel weights stored at my girlfriend's house, I just bought the house. Truth!
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Grand Master

Dabloons? Arrrrrrrrrr.....
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

It is not with strength one will prevail; those who oppose The Lord will be broken

Boolit Master
    That's one way to keep from picking up very heavy containers.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

When we moved, after they'd loaded up the Lead, milling machine, lathe, bowling ball mortar, a 950 lb safe, plus a 6,000 lb one,
    the tool boxes, and other odds & ends, the mover guys asked me, "Do you have ANYTHING that isn't real heavy"?
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Last time I moved commercially the movers were real jerks. I don't think they liked my heavy stuff, about the same laundry list as Winger Ed's. Loaded some extra large size boxes up to several hundred pounds each. I can only guess that because it was all I could do to get the platform of a 2 wheel dolly under them. Still couldn't tip the dolly back and I weigh about 225. Ended up unpacking them just to get the stuff moved inside the shop. I had one wardrobe box already filled with lightweight radio controlled airplane wings and fuselages. They redistributed my RC models into multiple boxes with a tile cutter, heavy rattan baskets and other heavy items that destroyed the models. I filed a claim that reimbursed me adequately to completely rebuild every damaged plane including glues, sandpaper, covering and labor. I had my RCBS Uniflow measure and all of its parts in a properly sized box. One of them tried to throw away all of the small parts and just pack the powder measure itself. When I told him the parts weren't cheap and I would have to replace them he just shrugged his shoulders. If I had not been stuck with a tight time line I would have shown him to the curb and let the rest of the crew pack and load my things.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Funny. I used a commercial mover once on the early 80s. Not too much damage, but I've moved myself ever since. We moved up here in 2010 and I slowly moved a pickup load the 450 miles every month or so for about a year until we finally sold the old place. A couple of truck and trailer loads of woodworking equipment and then a 26ft uhaul to finish.... when we bought current house 4 years ago, we packed up and moved a lot of light stuff, but hired a local 2men and truck mover. Dirt cheap for the stuff they had to handle. Not a bunch of lead. Just a few hundred pounds, but a lot of heavy equipment. Good guys , saved my back.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I've moved myself every time that I have moved. A couple of Buddies, a truck or two, a trailer and some beer and pizza. Tools, Pianos, lead, gun safe, everything. We were not 60 then! I'll have to hire it done if I ever move again. I'm just not up to it anymore.

I've helped several friends and family members move. I'm good at packing items in boxes and boxes/junk in trucks from work. Well when it came time for me to move, I didn't have a truck. None of my friends or family offered to help. The wife's folks came from NC with a trailer to help us.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I've helped several friends and family members move. None of my friends or family offered to help.
    That's happened to me a few times. And Winger Ed. has a very long memory for that too.

People often even act surprised the next time around and I'm too busy, or have a flare up of my lumbago.
    For those few folks wanting to borrow the F-250 with the 6-speed manual trans. ,,,,,
    "Ahhh,,,, it's not running right,,,,,,,,,, I need to work on it".
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    True friends and family show up for funerals and moves. To help, not hurt or steal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yesterday was our fifteenth wedding anniversary. When I moved into Betsy's house, I brought along my entire reloading kit, my collection of firearms, and about ten pounds of smokeless gunpowder. She never blinked. That was when I knew this marriage would last. That was before I returned to bullet casting. Now I have accumulated approximately a quarter ton of lead, which I try to keep out of the way in the basement.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master
    A buddy of mine used to throw huge barbecues and then right before dinner was ready he would announce he just needed quick help moving a pool table or cutting up and moving a 100 year old cotton wood tree, etc. Only took a couple of times to figure out his biannual friend feed usualy involved some form of heavy manual labor!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I dread the day coming soon, when I will just have to move stuff up and out of the basement, to pour a concrete slab. I’m tired of searching for dropped items on a dirt floor. I’ve even considered pouring half at a time. That way I could store stuff on one side and not have carry it up and out.

Boolit Master
    I ran out of space on the foundation sill so I put down a gravel and sand base and set square concrete pavers over it. Not particularly level but it's a place to put part of my lead stash and the weight isn't sitting up high on the sill. There's a ton down there. I'm planning on moving it into my club's berm, 147 grains at a time ;^D.

I have much more at another location. I need not to move for ten or fifteen years so I can shoot it all. Moving it all does not compute.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    That's happened to me a few times. And Winger Ed. has a very long memory for that too.

People often even act surprised the next time around and I'm too busy, or have a flare up of my lumbago.
    For those few folks wanting to borrow the F-250 with the 6-speed manual trans. ,,,,,
    "Ahhh,,,, it's not running right,,,,,,,,,, I need to work on it".
    True Friends and Family help Friends and Family. I've been lucky in this sense. But, while I don't really keep score, I guess I do keep score! I've been known to be busy at times myself!