Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Corn Bread

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Attachment 241656

click to enlarge.

I always use this pan. It is greased with butter. Sorry, mzlldr, this is chili, not baked beans. Chili is a dish enjoyed by higher forms of life.
    +about 5 on this. One of my favorite meals. Of course, I always have the dilemma, cornbread or homemade tamales? Heck, have both, tamales with the chili, cornbread with syrup or honey for dessert. Problem solved. Oh, and to add, you have instant breakfast for the next morning--cold tamales and cornbread with some good jelly/preserves. Oh, yeah.
    Last edited by gbrown; 05-13-2019 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Additional info
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master
    WOOHOO!! This thread is gold! Going into my recipes file, yessiree!

Rev Al, great photos! Makes me want fire up a pan of bacon, pintos and onions.

I have no recipes that are materially different from those here, but a trick I learned for making it more moist is to add apple sauce or pudding in the manner of pudding cake recipes. May have to adjust the recipe somewhat for the extra liquid. It keeps it from being too crumbly and you won't inhale crumbs and have everyone wondering if you'll live. Been there, done that.

All my older cast iron has a smooth surface rather than as-cast as most of the newer stuff has. I use a 4 1/2" angle grinder and a 120 grit flap disc to smooth mine off and polish that radius in the corner so the spatula isn't catchy on that rough surface.

Funny , got the venison chili on the stove and a box of Jiffy on the counter.

Boolit Grand Master
    Grandma's recipie (modified)

1.5 cups stone ground corn meal
    .5 cups flour
    1 tsp salt
    3 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    2 Tbls sugar (optional)
    Mix together dry ingredients
    2 eggs dumped in cornbread mix
    1 cup milk (or buttermilk), probably need a bit more as I just go by how thick the batter is. Not too thin or too thick.
    Mix
    2 heaping spoonfulls bacon grease (probably 5-6 tbls or so) put into cast iron skillet and heated and coat bottom of skillet and sides, then dump leftover hot oil in mixed batter and mix, then pour in hot skillet (will sizzle a bit). Have used Crisco oil before, but just not as good!!
    Bake in 425 degree oven till top center of cornbread is starting to brown (edges will be browned already). I don't time it, just watch it closely, maybe 20 min. or so. Pull out of oven and turn over on plate and it might take a few minutes for it to release and drop on plate.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks to everybody for their assistance with corn bread recipes ------- it seems that I've accidentally tapped into a favourite food item .
    My dilemma is which one to try first , and there certainly are a lot to try . What with the baked beans and all , I'll probably finish up with a waistline as big as Queenie the elephant.
    MZZLDR

Vendor Sponsor

Where do you live mzlldr that Cornbread is in an alien food group? :shocker:
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

I always heat the cast iron in the oven first and double the sugat
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

If you want a more moist cornbread, add a couple additional egg YOLKS and Remove one of the whites from the eggs called for
    additionally use brown sugar instead of white sugar.

Also the suggestion of using bacon grease is a good one in my mind...

Lastly don't over bake it. bake it until the panful in the oven just stops jiggling like a pan full of jello

Boolit Grand Master

Last night for supper , I cooked up a big pot of large lima beans with pork neck bones , ham and smoked pork sausage . When the wife came home she made the Cornbread !
    Oh Lordy Lordy....I enjoyed that more than a $25.00 T- Bone steak !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12