Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Ideal tong tool, 310 dies

Boolit Master

Ideal tong tool, 310 dies

Yesterday found a box with a 310 tong tool and 2 dies for 38 Spec/357 Mag. Tried threading the dies into an Ideal tong tool, nickel plated and marked 38 Spec. The dies seemd to be slightly oversized, would not thread into the Ideal handle. Any solutions, suggestions? Careful inspection did not detect any damage to handle or die threads.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master
    Is the nickel plating inside the threads of the handle? That could cause the dies to not thread into it.

A photo would really help. It may be that the dies aren't for this particular tool.

Boolit Grand Master

If the tong tool is caliber marked to be caliber specific it should not need dies? However, your post suggested it is threaded for dies.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    If the tong tool is caliber marked to be caliber specific it should not need dies? However, your post suggested it is threaded for dies.
    Not correct, I have several 310 tongs that are marked caliber specific. i.e. 30-06 and 30-30. I can use any dies in those that are made for a 310. I have done 308's in the 30-06 tongs but not any others in the ones marked 30-30 because I do not have any adaptors for it to change to the base of a different caliber. the older tongs that are marked 30-06 do not use an adaptor so it can only do calibers with the basic same base as the 30-06 - i.e 308, 270 etc. newer tongs use adaptors.

ulav8r you might try PM'ing Brassmagnet about the 310 tong and dies

Boolit Master

May have time to investigate a little more this coming weekend.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master

Checked them more closely just now. The dies fit the aluminum handles that came with the dies. I then looked at the nickel plated handles and saw that where the threads were close to the outside surface( hole was not centered in the raised boss ) there was a small dent that deformed the internal thread. I did manage to get one of the dies started and threaded into the handle about 1/4 inch. Three threads in the handle were deformed. Just a little work will be required to make it work better. Currently building a house, so it may be a year of more before I get to it.