Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Ohaus Scale Calibration/Repair?

Boolit Master

Ohaus Scale Calibration/Repair?

There is (or was) a gentleman who calibrated and perhaps repaired US-made Ohaus/RCBS scales. I have three 10-10 scales that I would like to have inspected/calibrated/repaired (although one may just be good for some parts).

Does anyone know if the gentleman is still doing this work and, if so, have his name or contact information?

Thank you,
    Richard
    Isn't a 9mm just a .45 set on stun? -- Amy W.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Master
    I believe this is the gentleman your lookin for.

Scott Parker
    Bakersfield CA
    VLD223@yahoo.com
    661 364 1199

Boolit Master
    That's him; I recognize the name. I'll email him asap.

Thank you,
    Richard

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Does Scott have parts for the 10-10 scale, my balance beam broke in half and needs to be replaced (object fell on it). Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    Keep in mind that Scott does scale tuning as side work. To my understanding he is the best at this work. But since this is side work and his volume of scales sent to him, his turn around time is slow.
    Robert Abbott
    "I don't save money reloading. I just get to shoot more."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikkisdad View Post
    Does Scott have parts for the 10-10 scale, my balance beam broke in half and needs to be replaced (object fell on it). Thanks
    My probably-for-parts 10-10 will not weigh correctly and the balance beam acts strange. However, let me put that beam on my good 10-10; if the problem doesn't follow the beam, I'll sell it to you with a guarantee.

Cheers, Richard

-- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rda72927 View Post
    Keep in mind that Scott does scale tuning as side work. To my understanding he is the best at this work. But since this is side work and his volume of scales sent to him, his turn around time is slow.
    Really, really slow, is my understanding (think years). He is pretty much the only game in town, so to speak.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Buddy
    There are no new spares for these scale available and haven't been for some while, only recycled parts from cannibalised scales and even that supply is fairly thin. The biggest problem with the scales is the knife edge, even quite minor mechanical damage often makes it unsalvageable, fortunately the knife edge used by Ohaus for almost all the RCBS range is identical and interchangeable.

After a good bit of trial and error I've now had to resort to making my own - a slow and tedious job.

To widen your chances of finding a replacement beam for your 10/10 you could also look for a scrap 5-10 scale - the 5-10 and the 10/10 have exactly the same beam.

Damaged knife edge - beyond repair.

Hand made knife edge (top)

Boolit Master

You never described the "problem" so it is difficult to diagnose...not that you asked for diagnosis. Calibration, for what many of us are doing, is as simple as carefully and completely cleaning the scale (knife edge, edge seat, beam, counterweights, etc.) with a light solvent (e.g. alcohol), test weighing with known check weight(s), and adding or removing tiny bits of lead (or large ones) from the pan sub-assembly. How difficult is that? Tedious maybe. Time consuming perhaps. Definitely doable yourself.

We're casting imperfect boolets, adding waxy substances of uncertain lubricity at fired temperature, inserting non-linear components into less-than-consistent-dimensioned brass cases press fit in a die, and making ammunition - not splitting atoms.

Powder recipes for a particular barrel are fashioned within min/max ranges established by the Powder Mfg's using Test Barrels. The point being that EXACTITUDE for the hobby hand loader is not the path. Consistency is.

Of course, those that are searching for the "Holy Grail" of accuracy from their barrels and components may need the confidence of someone else's calibration to enhance their experience. YMMV and I am not trying to be sarcastic.

If you are a hobby reloader, try to calibrate the scale yourself and save "years" in sending it off to someone else.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    I probably should have said "definite repair" on one, "possible repair" on another, and just a tune-up/calibration on the third. The problem with the "definite repair" is that it cannot be zeroed and will not give the same weight consecutively (I'm talking full grains variation). This might only just be salvageable for a few parts.

The "possible repair" *seems* to work consistently, but it's not as smooth as the tune-up/calibrate 10-10. I just want to make sure that it is working correctly and consistently before I trust any serious work to it.

I'm glad I was warned that Scott can be a bit slow, because I have not received a response to my query email that I sent several days ago. Too bad some other clever person hasn't gone into the business.

Cheers,
    Richard

-- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Master
    I checked my parts scale and the problem definitely follows the arm. I *suspect* there is some magnetic problem, but haven't a clue how to correct it.

Richard

-- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Master

Read "degaussing" to see if there is a simple technique. Possibly wrapping some copper wire around the arm, subjecting it to an electric current, perhaps a 6V (flashlight), 9V (smoke alarm), or 12V (camera) battery will do.

Richard (too)
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post
    There are no new spares for these scale available and haven't been for some while, only recycled parts from cannibalised scales and even that supply is fairly thin. The biggest problem with the scales is the knife edge, even quite minor mechanical damage often makes it unsalvageable, fortunately the knife edge used by Ohaus for almost all the RCBS range is identical and interchangeable.

After a good bit of trial and error I've now had to resort to making my own - a slow and tedious job.

To widen your chances of finding a replacement beam for your 10/10 you could also look for a scrap 5-10 scale - the 5-10 and the 10/10 have exactly the same beam.

Damaged knife edge - beyond repair.

Hand made knife edge (top)
    Are you willing to show how you set up and sharpen the scale blades?

Boolit Buddy
    I've made a jig to get the grind angles right - I use 1/8th blank HSS drill rods. I grind about 95% on the jig then lap the rest by hand on flat stones.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post
    I've made a jig to get the grind angles right - I use 1/8th blank HSS drill rods. I grind about 95% on the jig then lap the rest by hand on flat stones.

Thanks for the reply. Are you going to sell the balance knives? I have an old 502 that freezes just before balance and takes about .3 grain to move it. I cleaned bearings and pivot points with swab and alcohol but no improvement.

Boolit Master
    Follow-up: Scott Parker said he's not working right now so turn-around time for my scale will be short. I'm going to package it up today to send. Shall see what happens.

Cheers,
    Richard

-- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Master
    Another update: Both scales finished in about two weeks. Just waiting for my check to clear before returning. Correspondence has been answered quickly and courteously.

Cheers, Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RG1911 View Post
    Another update: Both scales finished in about two weeks. Just waiting for my check to clear before returning. Correspondence has been answered quickly and courteously.

Cheers, Richard
    How did you contact him? I emailed him a few days ago and haven’t heard anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have to admit that I also emailed Scott and did not receive a response for a week or so. After that, communications went quickly.

Richard

-- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Master
    Another Update: The scales are back. I'm not sure what, precisely, Scott does to tune them but he did have to replace the arm on one.

At $95 each plus shipping, it was a trifle pricey, but now I know they're good-to-go and it's nice to have a spare. Besides, I don't have the knowledge or spare parts to have fixed them myself. I may see about selling one since I don't think I need 3.

Cheers,
    Richard

-- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life