Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: 9mm Nagant cases

9mm Nagant cases

I found several sources of information on the cartridge dimemsions of the 9mm Nagant: Rim: .472 to .486; Base: .423 to .429; Neck/Case Mouth: .389 - .401; Case Length: .866; OAL 1.311 to 1.358

Has anyone formed cases for this cartridge? What case did you use for the parent case? Dies? Any loaing data or factory load specifications available - bullet weight & fps?

Boolit Master

DELETED

Mike

p.s.

BUMMER, I was NOT talking about 9mm Nagant, sorry

This is better

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...agant-Revolver
    Last edited by skeettx; 05-12-2019 at 07:37 PM.
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    DELETED mine as well. Thought it's about 7.62 Nagant.
    Last edited by kayala; 05-12-2019 at 08:29 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Older model 1878 Brevet Nagant 9mm revolver. There is a youtube video of someone trying to make brass for the 9mm. Northerninventor is his name. He made a tapered die and used 30-30 brass, but said he was looking for some 41 mag brass as the base was almost the correct size. The cases are tapered so would need to measure the cylinder to know what size to form them. This should be an interesting project. Good luck with it.
    There is a Swedish Model Brevet Nagant revolver on Gun Brokers now, interesting old revolver.
    Last edited by owejia; 05-12-2019 at 07:18 PM.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Can be made from 30-30
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9.4mm Nagant Revolver.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	241677
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9.4mm Nagant Revolver 2.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	241678

I got a lot of real good information from https://forum.cartridgecollectors.or...agant/22377/15. Going to try both the .30-30 and the .41 Rem Mag. I'll post what I end up with once I get it and the cast bullet all figured out.

Up date on forming cases for the 9x22mmR Nagant cartridge.. Just waiting on the bullet molds to arrive so I can test my procedure out.....

Case Forming:

There are no commercially produced cases or loaded rounds of ammunition available any longer. According to my research, production ceased in 1914. In order to shoot this pistol, brass has to be reformed from another cartridge. After searching dimensions on a half dozen cartridges, I came up with 4 that the rim and base diameter are close enough to work with; the 8x72mm R, the 9.3x72mmR, the .30-30 and the .41 Remington Mag. The first two cartridges are tough to find either in loaded ammunition to salvage the brass, or just the cases, and thus are quite costly. The .30-30, while readily available, is labor intensive. The procedure to convert this cartridge may require a couple of form dies not readily available or you would have to make your own. I do not have the equipment to accomplish this.

After more reviews of information and consideration, I chose the .41 Rem. Mag. to use for my parent case. Before starting on reforming the cases, I made a chamber and bore cast of both barrels. On both barrels, the Base was 11.03mm (0.433 in) and both Bores measured 9.43mm (0.371in).

Cases were trimmed to length of 22mm (0.866 in) using a LE Wilson Trimmer with power adapter and LE Wilson .41 Mag trim die. Because of the length of the virgin brass compared to the case being shortened enough for the pistol, I had to accomplish this in 2 steps - first trimming it to 25.75mm (1.015in) and then to 22.0mm (0.866 in).

The cases were then sized using the CH4D, 9mm Nagant Revolver FL Sizing Die. The .41 Mag Rim normally does not need reduced, but the base just ahead of the rim needs reduced a very small amount to properly fit the chamber.

Forming the case is a two step process. The decapping pin was removed from the FL Sizing Die, the case well lubed, and the die adjusted so it just barely touched the top of the case holder. After the initial sizing, a smaller case holder was placed in the ram and a steel washer the size of the shell holder placed on top. This allows you to size the case all the way to the rim and reduces the Base diameter not resized in the normal sizing process. NOTE: You will have to use a long punch to tap the case out of the die. Make sure the case is lubed up real good to make it easier.

After the above step, the Expander Die was used to flare the case mouth. The Expander Plug I am using is 9.4mm (0.370 in). In setting up the Expander Die, start with the expander plug just touching the case mouth. Adjust the die until the case mouth is between 9.90mm ( 0.389 in) and 10.20mm (0.402 in). I found that 10.05mm (0.396 in) is going to give you a cartridge that looks like it is almost a bottle neck.

The full length sizing reduced the Base of the case to 10.94mm (0.430 in). Chamber testing the cases showed that the Base still needed reduced. Using a drill press and P400 emery paper, I sanded the lower 1/2” of the case to remove just enough material so the cartridge fits easily into both chambers. I test the cases in both chambers as I go so as to make sure I don’t remove too much material but enough so it will chamber properly. You will ruin some cases with this procedure, but it is the easiest way to reduce the Base if you do not have a small lathe. At this point I again checked each case to make sure it fit the chambers correctly and the Breech (Rolling Block) would properly close and lock up. At the time I am doing this, I also use the shell holder to see if the edge of the rim needs sanded so it slides easily into and out of the shell holder. I use the case holder as a tool. If it fits in the case holder it’ll fit into the rim recess in the chamber easily.

If the sanding procedure does not work, you might have to hand file with a very fine metal file and smoothing with 0000 steel or bronze wool. Removing the small amount from the base that is needed to allow it to full chamber doesn’t take very long so you have to be careful you do not remove too much material.

Check the inside dimension of the case at the mouth to make sure the bullet will seat without expanding the case so much as to prevent chambering. Make up a couple of “dummy” rounds to see if they will still chamber properly. If not, you might have to ream the inside of the case to match the diameter of the bullet you are using. The bullet I am using is a soft cast (20:1 lead/tin ratio) Svarog Single Cavity Mold 9.54mm (0.375 in) adjustable for 19 gram (247 gr), 12 gram (185 gr) and 9.4 gram (145 gr). I am casting to 185 gr to match original factory loading. A custom Lee precision bullet swaging die was used to size the cast bullet to 9.4mm (0.370 in).