Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AR15 platform - Ruger or M&P or ?

Banned

AR15 platform - Ruger or M&P or ?

i have no real need for an AR15 type rifle other than for defense. any opinions/comments appreciated.

Boolit Master

psa has about the lowest prices, they are branded psa so could be made by any of the big guys. you can buy a kit and a lower, put them together yourself and have an good ar for around 300 bucks. Daniel defense has the best name recognition behind colt.

I have about all the brands and really cant tell much difference in them
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Banned

Get the PSA upper with the FN barrel and the best lower for you, a $49 "machine gun" PSA BCG and standard $15 charging handle and you are good to go. Once you get that, the ARs tend to multiply like rabbits.
    A Colt LE6920 is never a bad choice and if this is really a one and done AR I would go in that direction.

Boolit Buddy
    ARs are a commodity, LEGOs for adults. I wouldn't buy S&W, Ruger or Colt. Buy a cheap DPMS or Bear Creek Arsenal from Classic, don't pay extra for the big names. Or if you're feeling adventurous get a lower, a parts kit and a complete upper, really feeling adventurous build the upper too. You'll have a personal accomplishment and know how things work.

My first AR, a DPMS Oracle can shoot near MOA even with the stock pencil barrel. Its hard to make an AR that can't come near MOA. Biggest advantage of my match AR is the consistent 4.75 lb trigger vice the 'its gonna go off sometime' trigger on the DPMS. That match AR is Anderson lower, DPMS parts kit, Ruger trigger that I put together, and currently a WOA A4 upper.

Boolit Master
    I have built a few AR's from PSA kits and they all functioned great. I have two right now, one is a new build and the other has over 1000 rounds of cast through it without cleaning the barrel, just swabbing it out and cleaning the BCG. One perhaps drawback is that most PSA barrels are 1/7 twist, so you will have to find heavier boolits for it. I have fired 55 grain jwords that weren't all that accurate. When I went to heavier 75 or 80 grain boolits, the accuracy was where it should be.

Boolit Buddy
    I have been on both sides of this fence. I've several 223's that were store bought. Then I've got several more AR's that I assembled myself. That is what I would suggest. You will know how to repair any issues yourself should they arise. And if you shoot it much, you will probably want to change something and wont have to rely on anyone else to do it. Watch out, they tend to be a little addictive.

My experience with names ? S&W M&P 15 runs flawlessly and I don't remember the last time I cleaned it. RRA's have been the same. But I cant tell them from the ones I assembled myself as far as function goes. Cost is a hole nother issue. Now I know how to put the parts together, it doesn't make sense to spend 1K for a new gun to spend another 1-500 replacing lousy stock triggers and butt stocks that I don't like.
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !

Boolit Grand Master

Buy a smith when they’re on sale. Not much more than a PSA put together or someone else’s generic brand. Reason being is resale should you need to sell it. Easier to sell a Colt 6920 or Smith or other. I’ve got several PSA and they’re very good. But if I had a choice for $50 more, I’d take the smith every day and twice on a Sunday.

You can't go wrong with a S&W or Ruger. The name helps perception of value. I have a Ruger here and it's nice but no more so than my homebuilds(I'm on #7). I can quit anytime

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I'd put out a couple more bucks and spring for a good midrange AR like BCM or Sons of Liberty Gunworks. The Big Box store AR's, palmetto, radical, andersons are best avoided.

Boolit Master
    What, no Anderson fans? I am VERY happy with my "PARTS GUNS"!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    What, no Anderson fans? I am VERY happy with my "PARTS GUNS"!
    I’ve used several Anderson lowers and selected PSA uppers or kits on aero and Anderson uppers. But for a guy who doesn’t want to do that and is asking about brands of guns for an only AR, buying a complete gun of mid tier quality that can be resold quickly based on brand recognition is always sound advice IMHO.

Banned

Here is my last PSA Build

PSA 14.7" Mid-length CHF 5.56 NATO 1:7 13.5" Lightweight M-Lok Pinned & Welded - No BCG or CH - 5165450410 $369.99

POF Archangel Ambidextrous Charging Handle, .223/5.56 - 00813
    5165448262 $74.99

PSA AR-15 MOE Lower Receiver with Two-Stage Nickel Boron Trigger, Black - No Magazine 516544796 $199.99

POF Drop-in Trigger Assembly Standard- 4.5 LB press, KNS pins included
    Price: $134.99

FailZero EXO Coated M16 Bolt Carrier Group - Black
    SKU: FZ-M164-01-NH-BLACK $169.99

So let's say $1,000 all in. Got the FN chrome-lined barrel and everything else I wanted exactly like I wanted it. And I have an NB two stage trigger left over for kicks.

I have name brand ARs, but none are the equal of this build. I do not intend to sell it.
    My opinion, it is better than anything mentioned in this thread.
    Betting my life on it.
    Also have a $450 Freedom Rifle from PSA.
    It runs just fine.
    Read the thread on AR15.com from Battlefield Las Vegas and you can see what works.
    Last edited by jmort; 05-13-2019 at 05:59 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have 2 identical M&P’s, just worked out that way. 5,000 rounds through one and 0 through the other. Never had an issue with the one I shoot.

I’ve thought about buying “better” but honestly can’t express what I’d want.

Also have an AR-9 that I built from parts. Loads of fun and suppressed.

A have an early RRA 20" stainless Varmint 223 that is more accurate than a lot of my bolt guns. Also, I bought a Ruger .223 and put the upper on the back shelf of the safe for later. The lower now wears a 300 Blackout upper. I've had zero problems with either but the RRA feels like a lot more quality product. Gp

Banned

I know the S&W can be had in New Jersey compliant form.
    Atlantic Firearms has guns for the more restrictive states.

If you have a semiautomatic pistol in a defensive caliber, 9mm, .40 or .45 I’d suggest an AR pistol caliber carbine. Some can even share magazines. I like a .45 so my pcc’s are all .45s but use greasegun mags. I can’t swap mags between my pistols and carbines but my .45 ammo will work in my wheel guns, autos and pccs. I need to have one of my Marlin 1894s rechambered to .45acp.

Banned

for my needs, the smith ar appears the way to go, so far. unless someone knows of a semi-auto mag fed rifle chambered in .357 magnum.

Boolit Master

i would love a 357 like that but I'll have to settle for a belt fed ar.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

Better to build your own so you don't have to tinker with a stock Ruger or M&P, either of which are pricey compared to former. It'll also give you enough idea how the lower/upper/bcg work in order to troubleshoot or fine tune any issues.
    Start with a middle-of-the-road stripped lower (like Aero) & milspec lpk, everything else is up to you with lotsa aftermarket options, including caliber (.22LR, 5.56, .227wlv, 6.5G, 6.8, .300, 7.62x39, 9mm, .40, .45, .450BM, .458socom, .50beowulf)
    I got hooked but I can quit anytime...

Banned

stag 15 orc will be arriving soon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast